1/72 scale.....Scratch building the Hospital, Rorke's Drift, circa 23rd January 1879.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Are you speaking from personal experience 570 In relation to impressing the ladies. ?? :smiling:

'fraid so old lad. Still, I ended up with the right one eventually...... :thumb2:
Thanks for the compliment too. Much appreciated.

The wife's on a cleaning up session, so rather than lift my feet out of the way of the Hoover (Other makes are available!) I've retired to my den and started on the fire damage.

Here's the first stage.
Before thatching the roof, I've just very roughly painted the timber, stonework and internal walls with varying shades of cheap black acrylics and then snipped, bent and cut off bits of the roof structure here and there.

P1210587.JPG

P1210588.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice one 570.
I've stayed in bed , yes , but not sleeping, but Management is on the cleaning run. I've been fed and shortly will be ejected .
Now will we be having charred remains on those beams , now is the chance to obtain a most realistic look !
Looking really smart 570, great start to the new year .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
453 Thank you for your suggestion and also your present domestic situation. We seem to be running a parallel at the minute.......:upside:

Due to the close proximity of the foam, :worried: I am unable to set fire to the building.
However, I have a 'Cunning Plan' already formulated to achieve charred woodwork.

Lots of love.
Comrade 570 Sparki Pyroteknikov (Ret)

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Ron,
Finally had chance to Have a proper look over your work rather than fleeting glances. Impressive stuff mate, you must be very happy...I know I would!:smiling4:

I’m not sure mixing with 453 is a good idea, unless you have fire marshal training!
598F340A-411F-4988-94DD-D473E33B9661.jpeg

Other Coyotes are available :smiling4:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Si, I'm chuffed you approve thus far.

Fire starter has my 'Last Three', so I'm snookered now!

The wife still has the vacuum cleaner whizzing around, so yet again I'm forced to retreat into the relative sanity of my den...... :smiling4::thumb2:

I've added a bit of 'texture' to the rafters to simulate charring using floor sweepings sprinkled over the roof area. Once painted black I'll see what the finish looks like.

Using garden twine and PVA, I've also had a play at the thatching.

P1210591.JPG

P1210593.JPG

P1210590.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Where d'you get your floor sweepings if Justine spends so much time vacuuming?

.....she doesn't vacuum the garage or the green house....... :tongue-out3: Na na nanana!

Update.
The sprinkling has dried now, so I've painted the roof members with black from those delightful diddy metal tube paints.
As I've not done this sort of finish before I'm dead chuffed how it's turned out.

P1210594.JPG

P1210595.JPG

P1210596.JPG

Still plenty of debris to add but I'm a very happy bunny........ :upside:

Cheers all.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks the treat 570.
You could have sorted through the Missus Hoover bag and saved yourself a walk! lol:smiling5:
BTW, how did you affix the sweepings to hold them in place? I would like to try this at some point on a dio I have in mind.
Cheers, Rick H.

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I say chap thats a spiffing look, well done. MIGHT give up on real fire ...... (what on earth made me think that) TIME FOR A TABLET.
Well done, most effective Comrade 570 Sparki Pyroteknikov (Ret)
Dzhon 453

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. I'm cuffed you like the cooked rafters.

Update.
I've done the first stage of the thatching on the rear of the Hospital. I used garden twine and general purpose adhesive.

I've let the thatch run over the roof timber work slightly prior to scorching the stuff.

P1210597.JPG

P1210598.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't let 453 anywhere near that building. It looks like it could reignite at any moment. Ron, the twine is the cat's whisker. Really looks the part. The Missus will be so proud of your accomplishments she is likely to find other commissions to send your way.:smiling5:
Cheers Rick H.