1/72 scale.....Scratch building the Hospital, Rorke's Drift, circa 23rd January 1879.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fantastic 570 , i'm moving down to the stage now , not going to miss this for anything.:tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
That is a cracking build Sir, the thatch looks excellent indeed I have added that to the memory banks for future use. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Nice work Ron, How are you going to toast the thatch? Hopefully not by letting Tovarisch Sparky Pyromanov near it!:anguished:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Outstanding work matey , and grovelling apologies as Ive only just seen this superb bit of scratching.As always a masterclass in making realistic buildings (for nowt too!) and your build threads are always a thoroughly entertaining read , full of banter ,lunacy and occasional mention of Tunnocks. A very happy new year to you and your lovely wife ,Im off to bed now with a gin and tonic and a bumper bag of sherbert flying saucers ,cheers!
yours sincerely Charlie Peace

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Careful Ron, Graeme may be on to something. 453 did mention he was moving closer to the stage. The clever codger is covering his move feigning greater interest.:tongue-out3:
Lovely thatching at any rate! Happy New Year Ron to you and yours. Cheers, Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all.
A very belated Season's Greetings to you too chaps.

Graeme - I'll either use a gas hob clicker lighter or paint it. I'll have a play first. - Away from the model..... :face-with-head-bandage:

Mucker - is "A bumper bag of sherbert flying saucers" some kind of rude code?!
Yours,
Eccles C. Tunnock

A bit more progress.
The thatching is finally finished. Mind numbing process. How people have the patience to knit I'll never know!
P1210680.JPG

P1210682.JPG

P1210683.JPG
Next up I will scorch the stuff and then start adding plenty of charred timbers and rubble etc.

Cheers all.
Ron

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
The missus is a fanatcal knitter. The thing about knitting is she is able to do it at any time, any place. Pick it up, put it down.
Thatch looks great. Interesting to see how you are going to "scorch" it.
Jim

I remember my mum, nattering away on the phone, watching coronation street and knitting at the same time without even looking! Probably why my jumper had three arms and no head hole:smiling5:

Looking smashing Ron, please keep this away from 453!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Can't believe you've never heard of flying saucer sherbets! Tut tut! What did they teach you at whatever junior school you went to?

1546778888061.png

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just come in from having fun in the garden. I'm trying to get a sort of smouldering, next day look after an intense but short lived conflagration in the middle of the building. Only one way to do it........

ARG NO! Zulu Chief 453 has snookted past my defensive perimeter and torched my model!
P1210684.JPG

After I put out the fire.
P1210685.JPG

P1210686.JPG

P1210687.JPG

P1210688.JPG

P1210689.JPG

I figured some of the clay brick walls would have burst and collapsed with the heat. I still need more scorching but I'll use paint. I will also need more burnt Junk/thatch and clay bricks scattered about and a flattened, burnt hand rail.
All good fun and something new to me anyway.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul.

I still reckon it was 'Pyro' 453 wot started the blaze!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 ,a slur if there ever was blaming me for a fire what ever next.:surprised:
If I may make a suggestion when firing a building you may find it is advisable to wet any area before hand that you don't want burnt to a cinder . By varying the amount of water from a soaking to a mere wet brush dragged over a joist a realistic line of fire damage can be obtained.

My book .
Pyrotechnics For The Elderly.:smiling3:
Has several chapter dealing with this common problem.
Available from all cheap under the counter and in a brown bag bookshops .
Or by Post from :
Stalingrad Pyrotechnics
Burtnisky Precinct.
Stalingrad
Russian Federation .
862 Rubles plus shipping.
Ivor Ripyuooff

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
453 - I already have a copy of your book. Well I did have!

I found it most useful for starting my own fires. The rest of the pages made a perfect base for my compost heap!

Regarding your excellent suggested method for reducing fire damage, I reasoned that all the timbers would be tinder dry and kind of go up WHOOSH like.
Once the embers have cooled down I will enter the ruin and assess what I need to do to finish the job of.

Your Servant.

Ivor 570 Burnitdoun Goodski

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
I suspect Ivor Matchinanski was being polite when he posted his practical way of reducing the amount of fire damage. Perhaps he really meant to write "You've burnt too much away you prat!"

On my entering the cooled down building I realised if that was what he was thinking, he was quite right (Something I suspected after the Fire Brigade had left my front garden!)

To try and salvage the building, I've reinstated the middle wall and replaced a few bits n' bobs. Done some scorching on the surviving thatch and added tons of burnt and charred rubble and thatch.

I realise the pictures are getting somewhat repetitive, but they are different - Honest!

Here is my final effort regarding the fire damage.

P1210691.JPG

P1210692.JPG

P1210695.JPG

P1210697.JPG

My thanks to Comrade Ivor 453, for politely providing a tip to prevent any further ballsupskis.

Next I'll make a 'proper' base and add some post battle debris. I promise no fire damaged roof pictures.

Onward and upwards!
Ron