1/72 Takom Russian Tractors. Special Delivery

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Winners never quit and quitters never win :smiling5:

I've been doing some more work on these, and despite knocking parts off all four models and dropping one on the floor, I've made a bit of progress.

Added some of the junk in the trunk and started weathering. Gloss varnish on the running gear to simulate wet mud is still fresh so will hopefully tone down a bit. More "mud" will be added once they are in place anyway.

GcaOGPb.jpg

4OlaZsG.jpg

U1SoaaD.jpg

hv5iOIX.jpg

And below is a link to the chaos I am currently working in. Plans were afoot to completely reorganise everything so I've been even less tidy than normal! However my wife has given me the go ahead knock down both small sheds and put up a larger, more substantial building to house both my tools & garden implements, and my modelling area. That won't happen until next year at least though so need to clear the decks a bit once this build is over.

Members of The Tidy Bench Club or those of a nervous disposition should avoid clicking this link

D

Deleted member 7181

Not far off now. Some stuff is still drying and there are a few finishing touches to add, but all the main elements are in place now.

After lots of experimenting I've caved in and ordered some solvent free epoxy resin for the water. Everything I had just ate its way through and dissolved the foam underneath! That'll be pretty much the last step and probably the most likely to go wrong :smiling5:

kf6uIBM.jpg

5KqDDhM.jpg

VA8iam4.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul.

Here are a few of my test pours using 2K clearcoat from work if anyone's interested. One side ate completely through, the other bubbled and cracked as we tried drying it with heat.

Cuct6Nb.jpg

This one came out better, slow pour, no heat, but you can still see how it's eaten through and totally wrecked the foam underneath.

4j8ff5c.jpg

I think I'm better off playing it safe! :smiling5:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
I always try and seal the foam with a few coats of watered down PVA glue this should provide a barrier between the product and the foam.

D

Deleted member 7181

Yeah, I thought I'd covered it to be honest. A good coat of PVA, a decent layer of tile grout bonded with PVA, and a few layers of paint. Must have been some pinholes in it somewhere.

The surface is unaffected so I could live with that, and it dries lovely and clear (the lighter discolouration is from a previous PVA pour test), but my main concern was that if it ate the foam like that, what would it do to a plastic model half submerged in it! :flushed:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve. Kinda on hold waiting for the resin water to arrive so I've started something else.

I'm hoping it comes today so I can do a few test pours, then do the real thing in stages over the weekend. If I'm at work I won't get too impatient and will leave it alone to cure! :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

So the first resin test pour into a plastic paint mixing cup didn't go too badly. The colour I added looked awful though, and lots of surface bubbles. I tried getting them out with a heat gun but that just melted the test lump of polystyrene! After a bit of googling it seems a mini blow torch works better, so brought one home from work.

FC71luP.jpg

So I moved on to the real thing tonight. I stirred the resin more carefully which introduced far less bubbles, and the blow torch got any remainders out easily. There's a bit of dust in the surface and I wished I'd put a bit more detail and colour contrast in the river bed, but happy for my first go at this, and it's all part of the learning process anyway. No leaks either which is a bonus, but letting it cure overnight in a plastic tray just in case!

TLCwqzU.jpg

1iqopsE.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Scratchy,

The middle and last picture of the water pour are fantastic and it looks so real. Seems you have gotten hold of a super product Andy!!! Also glad to hear that there were no leaks as they can be a real headache and messy too! Real good stuff Sir....

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Allen. It was difficult to get a decent picture as the surface has settled so glass smooth that it reflects everything!

Teasing it up the banks a bit should hopefully make it look like it would in real life, with wetter mud right at the edge. Will see how it looks in the morning.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

Framing came off this morning at it looks good. A bit of sanding needed to tidy up the edges and raised lip but nothing major.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great result Andy. You will soon be creating your own resin kit's. LOL

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Wow what a lot of progress and what a stunning result. Looks really good. Great figures, great vehicles, great composition and the water is excellent. Certainly right to stir resin gently to avoid bubbles and cover while drying. Curing resin seems to be a magnet for dust, fluff, dog hair and assorted small insects :rolling:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve. First thing would be some indestructible resin mirrors! Broke them both off yet again while doing the water :smiling5:

Cheers Jim. I'm a little embarrassed by the painting of the figure given what my son can turn out, lol, but the surgery on them seems to have worked well and adds a bit of action. Pity no one will ever see the fourth figure sitting in one of the trucks.

There is some dust on the surface but I'm toying with the idea of adding some ripples, which would hide it. Seems a shame when the surface is so smooth but would make it a bit more realistic I think.