1/72 U-boat 249

D

Deleted member 81

hello Gentleman My name is Glenn and I'm based out of Norfolk Virginia and this is my first post,my subject is U-249 Late 1945,my problem is finding the right color, the photos I have shows her next to U-1023 and U-249 is much darker I'm using WARSHIP PICTORIL#27 and what I can on the web can someone point me in the right direction I'm posting photos of my build at it's current state thank's Glenn

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Hi Glenn,Have a look at this 1/72 Revell Type VIIC U-boat model

Sav.
Hi Sav and thanks for taking the time to help. I'm going try to post two photos one in BW one in color, the one in color is of U-805. The tug color is N-5 navy blue and looks correct so the color on the sub is close to the true color and is not one of the aforementioned colors on the site, now looking back at the BW photo U-1023 is in DG51 and U-249 is much darker, do you think U-249 may be using the same color as U-805? thank's Glenn

View attachment 16461

View attachment 16462

U-805ArrivesColor.jpg

U-249Eriboll620.jpg

M

Mankster

Its going to be pretty hard to say for sure. Alot of these boats went through different colours/shade/camo schemes depending on the captains preferance and what paint was left and the dockside. Ceratinly looks a darker shade on the b&w photo.

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Its going to be pretty hard to say for sure. Alot of these boats went through different colours/shade/camo schemes depending on the captains preferance and what paint was left and the dockside. Ceratinly looks a darker shade on the b&w photo.
Hi Mankster the directive late in the war was to darken the boats to hide from hunter aircraft when at periscope depth. I also understand there was an attempt to camo the decks to break up the sillohette of the subs at periscope depth I have matched the color of U-805 spot on ,but I'm going hold off and make sure before I commit,but your right about them using what ever paint they had on hand, thank you for your help. Glenn

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Hi Mankster the directive late in the war was to darken the boats to hide from hunter aircraft when at periscope depth. I also understand there was an attempt to camo the decks to break up the sillohette of the subs at periscope depth I have matched the color of U-805 spot on ,but I'm going hold off and make sure before I commit,but your right about them using what ever paint they had on hand, thank you for your help. Glenn
Hear are some photos of the build

S

Savvy

Nice one Glenn,

looking good, i'm doing one myself depicting U-69 here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/5116-1-72-revell-u-69-a.html if you would like to take a look. Keep the pic's coming.

All the best,

Sav.

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Nice one Glenn,looking good, i'm doing one myself depicting U-69 here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/5116-1-72-revell-u-69-a.html if you would like to take a look. Keep the pic's coming.

All the best,

Sav.
Thank you Sav,very nice! what are you using on the bottom of your hull? [the dark vertical lines.]I've just finished installing the deflector above the bridge and the engine telegraph compass and voice tube. I'll post some pics. I will inevitably build three totally -- the first one is U-249; U-96 and an early V-11C/41 U-522. I'm looking forward to seeing your continuing progress on your boat. It looks very good.

Glenn

View attachment 16488

View attachment 16489

View attachment 16490

View attachment 16491

View attachment 16492

View attachment 16493

u249 003.jpg

u249 006.jpg

u249 009.jpg

u249 010.jpg

ENGINE TELEGRAPH DIAL VOICE TUBE AND COMPAS 001.jpg

ENGINE TELEGRAPH DIAL VOICE TUBE AND COMPAS 004.jpg

S

Savvy

imageproxy.php

I'm assuming you mean these vertical lines?

If so then it's Mig pigments mixed with white spirit and painted on with a fine brush. I'll scrub these down a bit to stop them appearing so stark.

Sav.

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Nice one Glenn,looking good, i'm doing one myself depicting U-69 here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/5116-1-72-revell-u-69-a.html if you would like to take a look. Keep the pic's coming.

All the best,

Sav.
these black lines

S

Savvy

OHHhh!......them, God it's so obviouse now!

They are 3 dimentional tranfers, yes, THREE DEE!! They come from Archer fine transfers under thier surface details range and are a good way of adding the missing weld beads. You use them in the same way you would any decals. They are quite expensive but i managed to get away with using only one sheet. Have a look here ARCHER AR88005

You might like to do a quick Google on them as there are sites showing them applied and weathered.

Hope this helps,

Sav.

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
OHHhh!......them, God it's so obviouse now!They are 3 dimentional tranfers, yes, THREE DEE!! They come from Archer fine transfers under thier surface details range and are a good way of adding the missing weld beads. You use them in the same way you would any decals. They are quite expensive but i managed to get away with using only one sheet. Have a look here ARCHER AR88005

You might like to do a quick Google on them as there are sites showing them applied and weathered.

Hope this helps,

Sav.
Thank's Sav ,I've never heard of these before,very cool look's like they would save alot of time. I've always hade to make my own thank's for the info .I will check in to them and your boat looks realy realy good. Glenn

D

Deleted member 81

D

Deleted member 81

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Hi all, here are some updated photos of the U-249 build, the 3.7mm and the 20mm AA gun were added and the FPR-DF loop antenna. Some more hand grabs as well, enjoy. Glenn
Hello Gents,[update on U-249] -- Progress on the sub is coming right along. I've added some new details -- kind of a "finding waldo" kind of a thing. I've added the hand rails with the safety cables and the stern and bridge flagpoles; the ship's horns on the stern of the main gun deck, I've added the electrical conduits. I've added the electrical outlet on the front of the bridge, and I decided to cut out the plastic on the navigation lights stern and primary gun deck hand railing scratch built out of plexigalss. The boat is about 90%, and then I'll begin the heavy painting and weathering. Glenn

View attachment 16665

View attachment 16666

View attachment 16667

View attachment 16668

View attachment 16669

View attachment 16670

U-249 ships horns elc flag staff stern nav light lenz 023.jpg

U-249 ships horns elc flag staff stern nav light lenz 002.jpg

U-249 ships horns elc flag staff stern nav light lenz 011.jpg

U-249 ships horns elc flag staff stern nav light lenz 020.jpg

U-249 ships horns elc flag staff stern nav light lenz 028.jpg

U-249 MARKER LIGHT LENZ 003.jpg

D

Deleted member 81

\ said:
Hello Gents,[update on U-249] -- Progress on the sub is coming right along. I've added some new details -- kind of a "finding waldo" kind of a thing. I've added the hand rails with the safety cables and the stern and bridge flagpoles; the ship's horns on the stern of the main gun deck, I've added the electrical conduits. I've added the electrical outlet on the front of the bridge, and I decided to cut out the plastic on the navigation lights stern and primary gun deck hand railing scratch built out of plexigalss. The boat is about 90%, and then I'll begin the heavy painting and weathering. Glenn
Hello Gent's here are some more updated pics of the U-249 build.I added more hand rails on the 3,7mm gun deck using plastic rod, and the lock down handles on the base of the 20mm gun mounts,regards Glenn

View attachment 16678

View attachment 16679

View attachment 16680

View attachment 16681

U-249  add hand rails2 002.jpg

U-249  add hand rails2 008.jpg

U-249  add hand rails2 007.jpg

U-249  add hand rails2 017.jpg

S

Savvy

Wow,

This is looking really good Glenn, a very clean build which ain't easy with some of the PE you are using. Keep the pic's coming.

I'm back to working on U-69 after running out of steam for a while!! Will post some updates when something interesting is completed!

Sav.

B

Bunkerbarge

Amazing levels of detail in this model Glenn, that tower is looking superb.