1/72 UM SU-100 Self Propelled Gun.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great modelling, esd at that scale Jim. It's the sheer lack of size that would cause the problems into trying to replicate, yet you manage it perfectly.
Both Tim and Greg are right in the assumption that the front fender is held on that way .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A couple of things are bugging me. All reference photos show spare track on the front with no brackets or fastening to hold them in place.
Most types of T-34 track links had two holes in the narrow links, which were (AFAIK) intended for attaching ice cleats, but which would of course also work to attach the tracks to a vehicle if suitable mounting points were provided on it, as per Greg’s photo.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks to all of you I have sorted the attachment of the spare tracks :tongue-out3:
P1060513.JPG

I have a real problem seeing what's in reference photos. A while ago I asked on here how to find good references on the web and I remember Jakko pointing me to some great sites. Consequently I can now find loads of ref photos like the one here that I posted earlier
1606417834807.png
I just didn't see the bolts!!! :thinking: :sad: :rolling: I really must try harder :smiling:

I think I have also found a compromise for the tow cables - watch this space.

Thanks again guys.
Jim

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great start Jim, I'm with Si on this one there not bad little kits take it for what it is ive never had what I'd call a bad one ,just built that dragon tiger which was a right pile ,I can remember discussing um kits with Simon and him saying thats why they call it modeling, stick with it buddy they do turn out to be nice little models.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You have been busy Jim!!. This is just like a MR T blog. Resin moulds, pewter and scratch work. Its all here. What a wonderful treat to see. You must be really enjoying yourself on this one. Keep it comin my friend

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
David - you're right. The kit is not bad and it was very cheap. I can well understand why Simon would have considered UM kits to be a fine basis to work his magic on.
Scottie - thanks :thumb2:
Steve - appreciate your kind words. Means a lot coming from someone of your modelling skills.

The build is done :smiling: As I said to David the kit is fine. Very cheap and makes up quite well. The tow cables were fiddly. I think that the reference photo I posted yesterday is suspect. It is a restored vehicle and the tow cables do not have any ends. Perhaps the kit is based on this??? Anyway I decided to use the tow cable stowage method but add ends. I used the resin hangers, cut the ends off the kit's rubbery cables and used thread for the cables themselves. I doubt it is accurate but to quote a certain Mr Ron Spanner - "It's my model and it's staying" :tongue-out3: I also made a bracket for the light and added a lens from the spares box.
P1060514.JPG

P1060515.JPG

Hopefully primer tomorrow :thumb2:

Thanks again for sticking with this.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Managed to get the primer and base coat on. Primer was Stynylrez black on the tracks and under the fenders and grey for the upper surfaces. Base was Mission Models gelbbraun which I had and seemed about right. Mission Models paints suggest you add their poly mix. It improves the paint and gives it a satin finish which I like but my bottle had gone completely solid - no idea why as it's not that old :thinking:
P1060516.JPG

P1060517.JPG

P1060518.JPG

P1060519.JPG

Jim

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You are doing such a great job with such a small scale Jim.
More detail than I bother with in 1/35, I'm too busy mucking them up!

Am watching for sure.

Jim.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Jim,
just been having a catch-up. Excellent work with the build stage with some nice added detail, all up to your usual high standard :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Jim,

I guess I'm the last one in on this wonderful build. And good lawdy, you sure don't disappoint for one second. All of Simon's favorite ingredients are here and you have used them most excellently Sir!!!

Ok, so I didn't see any green stuff, but the plastic color would have hidden it anyway. Top drawer work and the color looks good too!!!

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Primer has tied it all together nicely Jim. Looking very good now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Jim -
I'm too busy mucking them up!
If I could muck up models like you do I'd be happy :smiling:
Si - thanks
Allen - yes, no green stuff :thinking:
Tim - I always like it when you get to the primer stage - signals the end of the build and the start of the painting.

Progress :tongue-out3: Detail painting, chipping, satin coat, decals and fit the open hatch and the fuel drums.
P1060525.JPG

P1060526.JPG

P1060527.JPG

P1060528.JPG

P1060529.JPG

Next it's some oil work and pastels and then make a simple base and figure out how to show the burnt/damaged front.

Thanks for looking. Stay safe.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice indeed Jim.

D

Deleted member 6559

Very fine work indeed Jim. Looks much bigger than 1/72.