1/72 UM SU-100 Self Propelled Gun.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
One of Simon's last posts on the forum was in the Latest Acquisitions thread showing delivery of 4 UM 1/72 scale kits. One of them was the SU-100 SPG. I don't know whether he intended to build any of them straight away or whether they were destined to add to his loft insulation. I sourced this from the makers in the Ukraine. Well packaged and quite quick delivery.

The Russian built SU-100 was in service at the end of WW2 in large numbers and later many were sold on to "Soviet friendly" countries. They continued in service for many, many years. As recently as 2015 an SU-100 was used in the conflict in Yemen. Egypt purchased SU-100s and they were used in conflicts with Israel. This kit represents one in Egyptian service with modifications for desert warfare.

P1060464.JPG

It has PE and resin parts :tongue-out3:
P1060465.JPG
The "gum elastic" details are parts for the wheels :rolling:

Instructions are just one folded sheet.
P1060461.JPG

P1060462.JPG

P1060463.JPG

Not a lot of parts
P1060466.JPG

I hope to get this started in the next few days, just got a couple of things on the bench to finish off first.

Stay safe everyone.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Security has arrived. Will look after the rabble with bribery using Si's cakes and hot chocolate all round. This will allow you to work your magic without to many distractions. However as soon as JR hears you are building the green stuff he may set fire to it or put it in a ditch.

A fine tribute build for Mr T. He will look forward to seeing how you tackle it. Good luck my friend

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m hoping for you that this kit is better than the UM ones I built some years ago :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not at all Steve, now Bob might have a different opinion !:smiling3::upside:

I shall take a seat, not away, but sit on it Jim. Promised to be good.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Great choice Jim,
MrT enjoyed his 72nd stuff more so if he could give the detail a tweak here and there ;)

I’ve Built a few UM /Unimodel kits and found them pretty good. Good luck Sir :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jim. Nice choice I will sit next to John I have screened him yet but I’m going to trust him on this one.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes Jim, 1/72 was Simon's favorite scale to do his scratchery on and to take on where he might have done is a apt tribute.

Would you like some added security? My Chinese cook is available on call with his cleaver and wok. So far it's been quiet at my end with him there. He can do a bit of Wushu just to kick things off. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Steve - welcome. Glad to have you running security. Judging by the attendees you'll need a big stick and an even bigger German Shepherd! Si's cakes will go down well and I'll keep a special eye on Mr Race.
Scottie - glad to have your input.
Richard - most welcome.
Jakko - I'm hopeful the kit is ok. It doesn't look bad however I don't have Simon's skills to correct it if it is very poor.
John - most welcome. Leave the matches at the door and behave or you'll have to sit on the naughty step.
Si - I had not heard of UM models. I also quite like 1/72.
Lee - watch JR like a hawk. He has a track record.
Richard - nothing like a Chinese cook with a cleaver to quieten things down.
Andy - Simon was notorious for buying kits and not building them but perhaps this was on his 'to do' list.

I'm not sure of the 'gum elastic' wheel parts and I don't like these tracks. I'll probably dry fit the wheels, glue the tracks to the wheels and then remove the track/wheel assembly as one for painting. I did that for a 1/72 Jagdtiger and it worked ok.
P1040112.JPG

P1040117.JPG

I hope to make a start soon.

Stay safe.
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jim. Nice start on the tracks. I have one eye on John and one on the build

• Sad

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tracks and wheels look spot on!!.Really great start Jim.We will keep an eye on John,Distract him with some biscuits and wave some Some Soviet kits in front of him hehe.
Richard

• Haha

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Lee and Richard
Thanks for looking in. I am afraid I have confused you :rolling: The two track photos are of a model I made a while ago and I put them up to show how I intended to deal with the tracks on this kit.
Sorry again guys for not making things clear.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lee and Richard
Thanks for looking in. I am afraid I have confused you :rolling: The two track photos are of a model I made a while ago and I put them up to show how I intended to deal with the tracks on this kit.
Sorry again guys for not making things clear.
Jim
Well subterfuge then , I'm confused most of the time, so nothing normal.
Matron has removed all matches and fire stick devices so you are safe to go .Jim.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Now this is going to prove rather more of challenge than I thought. I should have listened to Jakko :tongue-out3:
I set to with a happy heart and got this far. The plastic is very soft and it is much smaller than I imagined but it went OK.
P1060478.JPG

Before sticking the wheel axles on the other side I had a look at the wheels themselves. The instructions tell you to put on the rubber tyres - not to glue them.
P1060479.JPG

You can't glue this "gum elastic" stuff as they call it. It is made of a strange, stretchy material that is untouched by any glue I have :thinking: I doubt it would take paint either and that is why the box art just shows them unpainted. They are also nothing like the real thing! I think they are left over car tyres!!!
wheel.jpg

I took some strip styrene, wrapped it around a rod, stuck it in boiling water and then cold water a few times and cut along the length to give circles which I will use for tyres.
P1060480.JPG

P1060481.JPG

Tried it out and it worked. Just needs a little clean up. There's 20 wheels to put tyres on :crying:
P1060482.JPG

I was having a tootle around the old tinterweb and found this photo. An Egyptian SU-100 destroyed in one of the Arab/Israeli conflicts.
SU-100#1.jpg

Now I know that wrecked armour is very, very hard to model. My namesake, AKA Grumpa, is the master at it. This one actually doesn't look too difficult - famous last words.

So the plan is to imagine that the SU-100 has been hit by a Bazooka/RPG or something. X marks the spot
P1060483.JPG

A length of knackered track, a couple of wrecked wheels, a bent up, pewter mud guard and a load of black pigment and job's a goodun :tongue-out3:

That's the plan at the moment.

Stay safe everyone.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OOh nice Jim. I like it. Great work on those hard tyres , really impressive. About to try some bending of plastic sheet, was considering that use of cold water after the boiling.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Now this is going to prove rather more of challenge than I thought. I should have listened to Jakko :tongue-out3:
Told you so ;)

You can't glue this "gum elastic" stuff as they call it. It is made of a strange, stretchy material that is untouched by any glue I have :thinking:
Pattex sells a superglue that comes with a kind of marking pen containing some chemical that will make superglue adhere to plastics that are normally unglueable. I wonder if it would work for this.

They are also nothing like the real thing! I think they are left over car tyres!!!
I get the impression they were trying for the type of tyres on T-34s that have small notches in them:

tankwheel1.jpg

… but didn’t quite get the size right :smiling3:

I took some strip styrene, wrapped it around a rod, stuck it in boiling water and then cold water a few times and cut along the length to give circles which I will use for tyres.
Nice!

Now I know that wrecked armour is very, very hard to model. My namesake, AKA Grumpa, is the master at it. This one actually doesn't look too difficult - famous last words.
That’s what I thought of my M113 too …

So the plan is to imagine that the SU-100 has been hit by a Bazooka/RPG or something.
In that case, your work putting tyres on at least half the wheels was wasted (assuming you did all twenty already). An AFV that has burned out usually misses all of its tyres where the fire actually raged, as you can see in your photo of the real thing.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You certainly have your work cut out Jim. Keep at it my friend. It will be worth it once done