1:76 Revell/Matchbox LRDG 30cwt and Jeep Dio

F

Fenlander

Beginning to get a bit worried about my current pleasure of building 1:72 - 1:76 kits, far too much fun...

Anyway, have a couple of hours spare today due to teachers having a training day so I am off work for a Friday!!!!

As part of my forming obsession with the Desert Campaign, I have started a 'just for fun' build of this sweet little kit.

Goes together fairly easily and the little dio base could be fun .... Anyway, a couple of hours and we are ready for priming

before anyone comments that the wheels look a little under scale, they aint on yet!!!!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely little kit graham! I thought you might have saved this for the Dec. non GB GB ( unless this is an unofficial build, a non non GB GB !!!!!!, OK Im getting my coat as we speak!!!) Seriously though these kits are guaranteed to put a smile on your face arent they? Theyre just brilliant, im in the middle of the m40 GMC at the mo and its a lovely little thing, great detail (the dio base is a field of cabbages!!!). Really looking forward to seeing this one done ,keep the pics coming, cheers tony

F

Fenlander

I was thinking Monty's Caravan for the December not a gb,gb Tony.

You are right though, these are such fun. Just realised that the back of the wall is hollow with pin marks and writing so a thin card back has been put on to cover it, just making the pieces to sit in the window so that is solid to, between hovering and putting up curtain poles........

Anyway, daughter of to an activity group at half four and boss not home 'till six so I hope to get it all primed and maybe even base coated before the seven o'clock ASDA/Youth club run, don't get back 'till after nine and then it is stow the shopping and have some tea. Ten o'clock before I get back to the bench...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just had a close call.....

I was having a quiet look at things for the latest non G.B. when I came across this and Monty's Caravan on e.bay. I was about to bid when I realised both kits are 1/76, so due to the rules stating 1/72 only, I have had to remove them from my watch list.

Also, any idea's I might have had about Scale Model's shop's tank transporter has also gone out of the window!!

Hey ho! Re- think time. I do wish I had read the rules properly in the first place. lol

Ron

F

Fenlander

1:72, 1:76 who cares Ron lol, I will be doing the Monty van so you get it too and I can watch you do it right before I do mine lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ten o clock!! ive been in kip 2 hours by then graham!!!!Ive also got montys caravan (what a beauty!), but i doubt i could finish it in a month so if i take part i might have to get something a bit simpler , BTW, is it strictly 1/72 or is 1/76 ok? cheers tony

F

Fenlander

No, 1:72 0r 1:76. Only fun so who cares lol. I have posted in the main thread as well to that effect. There is a lot of 1:76 transport so why miss out on it.

M

msm2

Also have Monty's van but the only prob with the kit it has no decals with it :sad: (. But will have a look in the stash...

Tony..

F

Fenlander

Not that many decals to it Tony, you would get away with a bit of freehand I think with a bit of weathering.

M

msm2

Its a trip into the very cold loft. Brrrrrr... Will have a look.

Tony..

F

Fenlander

OK, managed to get an undercoat of black. I have done this to try to get the effect of natural shadow depth, not actual shadows but, oh, I don't know.... just shade. I then sprayed mainly from above to keep the shade of the black undercoat underneath things. a basic desert colour. This includes the diorama base but I have sprayed this much lighter so more shade shows through.

This is where the dio and the vehicles part company for a while as the treatment for both will now be totally different. As you can see, I have boxed in the hollow wall inside the building, this will be painted to represent badly weathered plaster, the outside will be painted to represent what would have been white. While in Tunisia, I saw lots of little stone buildings that were white with blue woodwork, this will be based on that but allowing for the sorry state it is in.

The groundwork will, hopefully, be done using pigments and textures rather than any more paint as I want a totally different texture to the ground and the building.

In what is left of the inside of the building is all sorts of detritus which will want some careful picking out to bring it to life.

The vehicles now will be coated with Klear and from then on, it is down to oils and washes. Good tip to stick the wheels on so that they are easily removed after initial spray is to use Maskol as a glue. Takes a while to stick and is not strong but holds the wheels long enough to ensure they are the same colour as the rest then easily pulled off