1/8 scratch build porsche 904

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well move went well new job is going well and I have negotiated a modelling area (well when we don't have guests that is) so gulp I've jumped in to try this scratch build, ive managed to find some profile drawings of the body so I've copied them onto paper and glued it to this ply wood.

IMG-20190818-44677.jpg
IMG-20190818-49816.jpg
IMG-20190818-57636.jpg

I'm hoping to make a former from this as a rough starting point. I'm expecting this to be a long build, somewhere between 3 and 60 years (but that's just an approximate guess could be much longer ;)

D

Deleted member 7181

I'll come along for the ride. I won't be around for 60 years though so let's hope it doesn't take quite that long :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

I'm hoping to be slightly less I do have the advantage that we have one at work so I can get lots of detail photos (there are so many cars at work I would love to do but I do love the look of this one)

D

Deleted member 3568

Well first lesson learned I tried to made a cylinder head and bought card stock of the correct thickness and cut out 15 cylinder bits and 17 fins then glued them together after which they should have measured 10.25 mm well after gluing 10 of the fins together it measured 13 mm so I thought I will compress them in my vice trouble with that was it compressed the cylinder bits but not the fins and ended up looking like this

IMG-20190824-26153.jpg
IMG-20190824-1853.jpg
IMG-20190824-45436.jpg
IMG-20190824-34581.jpg

Instead of how it should look. I can only assume the extra thickness was due to the glue so I think I will have to experiment with different thicknesses.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ken,
What material and glue did you use?

I would say you should be using plastic card and liquid cement - that doesn’t look like plastic card

bigb17-026_2017-07-17.JPG

as an example this is a 1/48 engine for a Sopwith Camel

If you choose the right thicknesses of plastic card it should be a doddle at huge 1/8 scale

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Ken - not really very good material for scratch building

Is this the first thing you have scratch built? Rather ambitious as a first build if it is

I have been scratching stuff for around 30+ yrs and I would say that if you are going to do this properly, unless you plan to miniature engineer in metal, as a minimum you will need lots of plastic card in all thicknesses from 5thou to 80thou, tubing and rods in various sizes and shapes (square, round, I beam, H beam, angle), micro strip, micro rod, compass cutter, punch and die sets, steel rule, lots of knife blades and probably a whole host of other stuff - won't be cheap

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi mate scratch built ships for years (totally different subject matter but I'm hoping the techniques will transpose easily enough)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
Very brave to take on a task like this. Interesting project to follow. I'm sure there will be many problems along the way but you'll get there in the end. You have already learned one thing :thumb2: :smiling2:
Jim