1/87 AlsaCast Famo & SWs test builds

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
First time w/this maker. Instructions are very poor. Parts came off sprues pretty well. Cleaned up OK, though tracks/bogies will require a little work. Bed is about 6" shorter than Wespe Famo. Will investigate. Drying primer now.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul, I checked the dimensions on my FAMO, came out to 11.5 scale feet on the outside of the cargo bed. I bought this kit along with an sdanh. 116 trailer about 15 years ago. I suspect it came from CMK in the Czech. Rep. No markings on box or destruction sheet. Did yours come with photo etched detail parts? Looks like you are progressing nicely, will stay tuned for further developments. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick, the Wespe sdkfz 9 is the same as yours, 11.5' & I think it's correct. The AlsaCast 9 is 11'. No PE w/kit. The front suspension was unusable & the front tires & wheels were not correct in my opinion as they were more like an 8 ton's. Working solutions. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Possible solutions. Top painted suspension instead of incomplete lower version...Painted wheels/tires rather than kit's. Suggestions/comments?
PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I see what you mean about the wheels. I just checked my copy of Nuts & Bolts vol. 12, the only photo that did not have the reinforcing ring was an example at the Military Museum in Dresden. I checked my model and the wheels are the same as yours, imagine that! checked my PE sheet, no rings there, so I will make them with a punch and die set and glue on some nbw castings. Only other possibility I can think of would be to find some Evergreen tubing of the correct outside dia. and miter off a couple of thin cuts and lap them down until thin enough to work and again with the nbw. castings. Hope this helps. Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
All very technical guys, I shall sit and watch from the stove .
Dzhon .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks the ticket Paul, I think you are on the right track. No pun intended!
Rick H.:thumb2:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Progress. AlsaCast Famo came w/full tilts so modified passenger area tilt to fit Wespe Famo (bottom) & cut up HEMTT tilt to fit cargo area. Working grabs, shifters, steering wheel, crew & crapintheback for AlsaCast Famo SWs almost done, very pleased w/it. C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like you have it going Paul,:thumb2: got particular plans for these? Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks. The Famos will be part of some pzr maint/recovery elements I have going. I'm still mulling the SWs' placement. PaulE

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looking good PaulE,
looking foreward to the weathering :thumb2:
Cheers
Steven

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sws is the bomb Paul, the tracks are a huge improvement over the Roco units. I have some ref. Shots of these as artillery prime movers. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you gentlemen. They built thousands, some looked armored, but were of high carbon steel. Most pics I've seen are of them brewed up or as AA mounts and the one series of the PAK43 prime mover. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ooops. Meant hundreds, not thousands. 832 I think, from PanzerTracts. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks Super, looking forward to the finish. Rick H.