1/87 Scale 1939 Ford COE (G198 TWA) Fuel Tanker "Kitbash"

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Rick

tanker looks good :thumb2:

it does have quite a lot of differences to the reference photograph though (cab different shape, tank different shape, details different) - is that actually a different type?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Rick, well done.
I think that is a good build from a toy up. Gives another avenue to making subjects that are not available in the modelling hobby. If you ask 10 people what this vehical is, I bet you 9 out of ten will say its a nice old fuel truck but only one will say you're trying to make the Wiking Models Henschel HS 100 fuel tank truck but the shapes a bit off...Simon, I take my hat off to you for noticing such details but I think the effort of the build is just great. Moreover that plastic must have been hard to work with.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sadly Gentlemen it was all I had to work with and as close as I could get. You are correct about the slightly different shapes of cab and tank. European Fords are notorious for this as they were built under license of Ford Motor Co. You will find this to be the case with Chevrolets As well.
But it is a reasonable facsimile which is what I was originally inspired to build.
Thanks for looking in.
Cheers, Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Rick, what I'm saying is that not everyone will know the difference and I'll be proud of your conversion and making it into something better. I'm certainly looking at some upgrades to toy boats for a harbour project.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Rick,

I would have to say that you have done an outstanding job with this project considering what you started out with. I bet it is especially difficult working with something so small in 1/87.

If there is one point that could be improved, it would be the 2 pipes on the tank body top that are 1/8th mm too high and should be lowered to be correct. Other than that, it's a keeper Buddy and real nice!!!

Prost und I'll get me coat...……...
Allen

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No worry. I was simply explaining the challenges faced in 1/87 scale. Many, many of my models are not kits. They are either conversions such as this or almost complete scratch builds, such as my LOX trailer featured in Soft skins also. I try to be as accurate as possible with the understanding that I must also be reasonable about how much time I invest in certain projects. It boils down to what I can live with and what it costs me to tear apart several kits to produce one unique model that is unobtainable otherwise. Allen, Thanks for busting in and rescuing my posterior from the rivet counters lol:tongue-out3: I'm definitely having fun with this! Feel free to pile on sport!
Thank you all sincerely for you comments and criticisms it all helps me to be better at what we do. Cheers, Rick H. By the way I posted a bunch of pics of what I'm talking about in Completed soft skins titled: Post your captured soft skins in WW2 German service. some of those are kitless or kitbashed vehicles that would not otherwise exist.
Cheers, Alles!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I really like the look of your conversion Rick, I wouldn’t of spotted the difference myself :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Rick,

It's a hobby and It's fun. You and Paul are truly amazing working at this scale and creating vehicles that are not (or never) available in 1/87 scale. I just can't believe how detailed you get with these tiny critters. Drive on Sir, drive on!!!

Now get outside and shovel the driveway!!!!

Prost
Allen

• Haha

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Si, I knew of the differences but chose to ignore them as minor. That is also why I posted the photo of the actual truck as my inspirational image to work from .
Thanks for looking in. Cheers, Rick H

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Allen How did you know we had a blizzard here yesterday? And yes my driveway does need a good plow. Temp at present 0 deg. F. I'm waiting for the wind to stop blowing. Yes it is a wonderful hobby and like Paul E I chose to go the difficult route at about the same time he did (1964 I purchased my first Minitanks). I've been at it ever since. The cab just pulled up. I'll get my coat and join you.
Cheers, Rick H.

• Haha

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Sorry Rick - I think I shall refrain from commenting in future

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No apols. required mate. I understood exactly where you are coming from and like to live there myself...not always possible. This is why we ask for comments and /or criticism please do not refrain from commenting on my thread ever, This is part of the reason the forum exists. I like this forum and the folks who hang out here. Nuff Sed!
Cheers Mate, Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rick .
As I know nothing about trucks from this time frame or the models I think it looked good. We all like to have comments, its whats helps us progress as modellers.

At least on this fine site we have no pure rivet counters that just post to pull work down.
John.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
One of the better models of period COEs well executed. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Lee, I tried to get it as close as I could without turning things into a major scratch build. I think I captured the flavor of what it was that inspired this effort. JR, right you are. There is always something to learn along the way. One just has to keep an open mind and remember that we all don't work at the same skill level. Paul, yes it is an attractive vehicle. The Germans were famous as you know for using anything they could lay hands on to keep things moving, as evidenced in my thread in completed softskins. Check it out there are Fords, Chevies, a Jimmy even a Matford. Makes for a lot of modeling interest.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rick
Kit bashing to make something no one else has done - that's a bit special. To take that on at real braille scale is quite impessive. Ok it isn't totally accurate when compared to the photo but as you say it is close.
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick

Sometimes we have to work with what we have at our disposal. Total scratch and in-depth detailing sometimes gets lost when it goes the paint booth and looks like you never touched it like it was molded that way Looks good