1/87 Scale 4 of a Kind WIP

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks very much Si. Good of you to drop in.......loving the T34 project BTW.
Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What's the paint Rick, gives a really nice finish .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The paint JR, is Model Masters enamel......it was a Testor's product which were bought out by Rustoeum Corp. and then a few years later, Rustoleum in its infinite STUPIDITY, decided they didn't want to be in the Model Paints business or at least NOT selling the planet damaging, environmentally unfriendly, stinky, smelly solvent based paints that work so Damned well for us what's been using them for more than 25 years......and at the same time discontinuing the BEST model railroad line of paints, also solvent based by the name of Floquil...........of which I have precious little of either line of paints left and I am REEEEEAAAAALLLLLY Pissed at Rustoleum Corp. So Pissed I called their Customer Service line and unloaded on the empty headed representative that happened to be manning the phone on that particular day. To no avail.......the complete line of RAL and RLM colors is gone........so I asked this person could I please have the paint code formulas for the colors I needed so I could get suitable stock and mix them myself....."Oh Sir", she says, "I can't give you that information, it's "proprietary"........I said, Why the Hell should you care, you're not making it anymore................anyway you get the gist. When my stock of paint is gone, I'm not sure what I can replace it with BOO HOO!
Rick H.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Always the same Rick , find something that works and some one comes along and changes it. More like profit margins than any concern over environmental issues.
Must be some other makes out there that are similar.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You are right there JR. I have been using the same Airbrush and Paints for over 25 years and it took a long time to figure out the best mix ratios, pressures and spray patterns for the results I got and now I have to find some new Planet happy crap because some Moron in a coat and tie.......far removed from anything remotely resembling the hobby has decided what the world needs instead of listening to the customers and hobbyists that are making him a FAT living........I need a blood pressure pill. Thanks for letting me rant. Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You are right there JR. I have been using the same Airbrush and Paints for over 25 years and it took a long time to figure out the best mix ratios, pressures and spray patterns for the results I got and now I have to find some new Planet happy crap because some Moron in a coat and tie.......far removed from anything remotely resembling the hobby has decided what the world needs instead of listening to the customers and hobbyists that are making him a FAT living........I need a blood pressure pill. Thanks for letting me rant. Rick H.
Anything else you'd like to vent about while we're on !
Not a problem Rick it's the same way I feel about many things as Mrs R keep reminding me when I shout at the tv. Got cross yesterday when I received a text saying I'd missed a hygienists appointment because of Covid , which I've had ! ( The appointment not Covid ).

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oh....I thought I was the only one yelling at the T.V. .........my wife gets mad at me when I do it..........."Knock it off, they can't hear you"!!
After a nights sleep I'm much better......woke up to a beautiful sunny day (30f) outside bit of frost on the roof and No Snow! Today I will continue the interior detail painting and maybe get a clear coat on so I can decal these quadruplets. Cheers, Rick H.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I got a little interior detail painting done .........need to clear coat yet in order to decal these. once that is done I'll be able to get the light lenses in and install the fender pennants and get on with the weathering. Rick H.P1011609.JPGP1011610.JPGP1011612.JPGP1011613.JPGP1011614.JPGP1011617.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up on these. Lots of good stuff going on Rick.
Your Testors rant took me back a few years.....my LHS owner vented in a similar way. He invested in a full range of Modelmaster enamel paint, including the display rack, costing his small business a fair sum. Three months later the paints were discontinued and he couldn’t restock. He was not happy....come to that, nor was I. I really liked Testors varnishes, but after stocking up on them couldn’t get the thinner.....so couldn’t thin them to spray......

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm not surprised.....I hope they at least refunded him for the display stand..........if I were him, I would have been on them like ugly on an Ape!! Thanks for dropping by Tim and glad you are liking it........my first ever "group" (more than two) build.
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They wouldn’t refund anything....really shoddy practice. Never mind, the shop is now closed and I don’t live there anymore :tired:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I found more than a few photos to reference the placement of the decals and settled on this arrangement for its originality to the type of vehicle. The diameter is a little bigger than I would have liked but the next smaller size seemed just that......too small for the expanse of sheet metal they were covering. Q&Cs welcome. Rick H.P1011619.JPGP1011620.JPGP1011621.JPGP1011622.JPGP1011623.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
These look great Rick! Nice project.
Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rick
Don't they look good :thumb2: nice interiors.

Agree it is annoying when something you have used for years is suddenly no longer available. Years ago the wife went to the supermarket for some of my favourite strawberry jam. There was none on the shelf. She went to ask at customer services when it would be back in stock. The reply was ....
"You're the third person to ask about it this morning. As I told the others we have stopped stocking it as there is no call for it."
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Jim, computers will be our downfall..........garbage in garbage out, no matter what anyone says. Thanks Jim and Steve, for the nice comments. there is still some detailing to do inside the open topped vehicle and of course all the exterior lights as well as the weathering.........so plenty to keep me busy and out of the bars. Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Happy thanksgiving Rick. Very jealous of your collection of ambulances. Nice to see the stretchers as well. Beautiful work

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Mr. Jones, Still need more detail inside.....not sure what but it looks too "sanitary" if you know what I mean.
Glad you like 'em. Rick H.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I love your little guys Rick!
I can barely see 1/35 scale stuff (why my models are so messy)

I'm sure they will look fantastic when you are done.
You do that scale MORE justice than it deserves, Bravo to you!

Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Jim, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to see these little critters but I'll stick with it as long as I am able.
Too late and too stubborn to change the game now. LOL:smiling2: Rick H.