1/87 Scale BEUTE Ford Lkw. Conversion Mystery Truck

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After finding a set of inspirational photos on the web I decided to try my luck at duplicating this truck in 1/87 scale. The actual vehicle is a Ford V 3000 except for one thing, It has a long wheel base and tandem rear axles. The caption alluded to a captured vehicle in the "Low Countries" that was in the process of being converted into a special purpose truck. Either compressor or in my opinion,P1010876.JPGP1010877.JPGP1010878.JPGP1010879.JPGP1010880.JPGP1010881.JPGP1010882.JPGP1010883.JPGP1010884.JPG perhaps some sort of generator. I'm not going to share the reference photos until I have finished this build as I don't want to prejudice anyone's opinion while it is under construction. So, at the end will be the unveiling of both the completed model and the prototype. Rather sneaky of me, Here's what I have done so far. Cheers, Rick H.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The caption alluded to a captured vehicle in the "Low Countries”
I know the Netherlands military used Ford trucks in the 1930s, but not sure about Belgium, and it’s bloody impossible to google something like this to work out which country that might have been. All I get are sites about vintage trucks through the ages, pictures of 1960s DAF trucks (no, damn you Google, I wouldn’t have typed “Ford” if I wanted to see DAFs …), and such more that isn’t what I’m trying to find :sad:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Jakko, It appears we are in the same boat as I spent hours combing through this particular site before landing on this group of photos. I'm always looking for new and "different" vehicles to build as I have a deep appreciation for the variety, almost rag tag appearance of the German transport and other units that gleaned and used anything that was available at the time. If you are interested, check out my post under completed softskins titled: Post your Captured Softskins...
Cheers, Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It appears we are in the same boat as I spent hours combing through this particular site before landing on this group of photos.
I spent literally minutes this morning before giving up :smiling3:

I'm always looking for new and "different" vehicles to build as I have a deep appreciation for the variety, almost rag tag appearance of the German transport and other units that gleaned and used anything that was available at the time.
It’s an excellent example of how poorly organised the German army was when it came to logistics, yes. Even German-designed and -built vehicles differed so much between manufacturers that operating several side by side was asking for trouble. Good luck doing basic things like trying to push an Opel out of the mud with a Mercedes.

If you are interested, check out my post under completed softskins titled: Post your Captured Softskins...
Will do :smiling3: I won’t have much to contribute, as I’ve never built anything fitting that descriptor, though.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's o.k. perhaps you will get "Mojovated" to build something along those lines. Very interesting subject in and of itself. Cheers, Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve got plenty of other things to finish first :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work Rick. Looking forward to seeing the inspirational photo at the end. How much will be kit and how much is scratch built?. Also is it one kit or have you raided bits from two or three kits?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hey you two, no cheating. As to Paul, I'm not sure he would be able to identify it either. I will give you this much Steve, I robbed three kits to get the vehicle you see now. All the white peices are scratchery everything else is bashery! lol:tongue-out3:. Cheers my Friends, Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
coming together nicely Rick

That's an odd detail of having a full size wooden door set into the canvas cover - would look a bit odd with the canvas removed

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I agree Simon, this is a very odd vehicle which is why I was attracted to it. In this case I don't think the canvas was intended to be removed. The other strange thing is, why a half door with a canvas flap on the other side? Oh I almost forgot, wait until you see the ref. pics. showing some of what goes inside. Hence the Mystery Truck title.
I'm hoping some sharp minded member of the forum will recognize it and tell us what it is. Speculation on that "other" forum so far has been spotty at best so even they aren't sure what it is. Thanks for stopping by, Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Einheits cab says later build. I'm aware that dual tandem rear axles were rare in WWII Germany. I'd never seen or heard them referred to on a Ford chassis, so this one draws a blank. My guess would be maint. or medical of some sort unless a fuel truck w/spoofing tilt like US Corbit. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Paul, I was thrown by the cab at first thinking late war also but that would also mean small headlights and certainly no turn indicators on top of the very early fenders. I have read that FOMOCO was selling trucks all over Europe prior to and after the outbreak of war in Poland. One of the ways they did this was to sell a running chassis with front clip and cowl. It was left to the purchaser to provide their own coach work and final configuration of the cargo bed to whatever purpose it was intended. My theory is that this vehicle is captured Military or confiscated from the civilian populace of either Holland or Belgium who were notorious for purchasing U.S. made trucks and equipment for their Military and civilian populations. I have just finished putting the wet stuff on so when dry I'll post some pics. before I start the weathering.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Rick H.