1/87 Scale Early Panther G In "Disc" Cammo.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is my first attempt at "Disc" cammo. 'Twas very tedious and I did not achieve the result I was looking for. Each disc was an individual tape mask of three randomly placed different sizes. I'm hoping to perfect this as I intend to do a BOTB diorama and Peiper's Group had several vehicles in this scheme. I am definitely open to suggestions. Cheers,P1010663.JPGP1010665.JPGP1010657.JPGP1010660.JPGP1010661.JPG Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rick, that is excellent, you should have seen my first attempt!

As you have asked for suggestions, I hope the following might be of help.
I briefly looked at those mask thingies when I first thought about having a go at this type of cammo., but decided it would be too messy and awkward working around all those protrusions.

So as I just brush paint I ended up doing mine freehand. Taking a suitable sized old paint brush I cut the bristles almost down to the ferrule then with the smallest amount of paint on the brush I just touched the plastic and sort of twirled the brush to get a ' disc'.

Here's three I did. All prior to weathering etc.

1/35
P1200654.JPG

1/35 Stug
P1180566.JPG

One of those 'Two in a box' instant 1/72 tanks. Spots a bit big. All part of the learning curve..... :upside:
P1190005.JPG

I hope you don't mind me posting the pictures but probably better than me burbling along trying to write what I'm getting at.

My method might be worth having a go at and might help to keep your sanity!

Good luck whatever method you adopt and I look forward to your Ardenne diorama.

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rick
For your first attempt that's good, not an easy thing to do in the first place. 570s advice and photos seem perfect answer. Can't imagine if you try this you would have any problem .
John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Ron, I had considered something similar to what you suggested but instead of a brush I was looking at a small piece of sponge. Your work is excellent and I appreciate your taking time to share with me. I shall try a small brush and see where this goes. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks John and Ralph, I realized as did Ron that the diameter of the discs is critical and I have some pretty large ones that really detract from the overall effect I was trying to achieve. Thanks for the kind words. Rick H.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great looking Panther Rick:thumb2::thumb2:, looking forward to see dio with a couple of these.:smiling:
Did you make the disc masks with a punch sort of thingy or all by hand ?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Fernando. I used Tamiya tape laid out on strip styrene and then mechanically punched it turning out a plastic disc with tape on top of it. When I had punched enough discs out I started the tedious task of peeling the tape off and placing the tape discs on the tank one at a time. Took more than a week.
Cheers, Rick H.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Thanks Fernando. I used Tamiya tape laid out on strip styrene and then mechanically punched it turning out a plastic disc with tape on top of it. When I had punched enough discs out I started the tedious task of peeling the tape off and placing the tape discs on the tank one at a time. Took more than a week.
Cheers, Rick H.
Wow that's some serious work involved, thanks for explaining.:thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ron, I had considered something similar to what you suggested but instead of a brush I was looking at a small piece of sponge. Your work is excellent and I appreciate your taking time to share with me. I shall try a small brush and see where this goes. Rick H.

Rick. I tried a bit of sponge but I found it impossible to get a 'Disc shape' or anything remotely like one...... :angry:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Rick,
Not a bad start, and a lot better than I could obtain in that scale.
Suggestion, Run a length of masking tape onto a sheet of greaseproof paper, cut to the size you want and then use either a leather punch that has various size punches that you can rotate or put it through the punch and die set again if you have one. Might save on the tedious work of cutting just one at a time when you can cut a strip. HTH.
Cheers, Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great effort on a small scale. There are various ways of doing the disc camo as the guys have eluded too. Masks certainly work well on the larger scale. It must be difficult on the small stuff. You say this was your first attempt at disc camo on this scale and that "I did not achieve the result I was looking for". What look were you after? Was it just the disc sizes that you were not happy with?

For a first attempt it's outstanding and if you feel you can improve second time around it can only be better for the mojo. Looking forward to seeing your next build. Thanks for sharing

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes, The biggest problem was the diameter of the discs. One in particular is way too large for the scale. According to what I have read the Germans used at least three different sized discs in their stencil and they weren't necessarily truly round. The standard three color scheme was applied first. When dry, the disc stencil with all the little cutouts between the discs was sprayed with dunkelgelb Thus creating the circular or disc pattern in the cammo. If this is not the way it was done I need to rethink this so I can achieve the proper result. I'm interested in all the info I can get. Thank you all for your help and suggestions in this. Cheers, Rick H.:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Pete, I'll check it out. Cheers, Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Lee, I'm looking forward to getting this cammo. problem sorted out as I have a lot (4-6) Panthers that will require the "Disc" pattern cammo.
Cheers and Happy New Year, Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Ian. Happy NewYear!
Cheers, Rick H.

J

John Cole

Hi Rick, Happy New Year. Fantastic. A thousand times better than I can do at that scale (i’ll have to show how basic my small ones are). Looking at your detail and painting, it is very encouraging.