1/87 Scale Red Ball Express Dio

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Same here!........Thanks for the info Paul, will have to try one of those tonandahalfers. :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great updates Paul. I like those Jimmy’s

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Love the way this is coming together Paul....the architecture looks to be scratched, am I wrong in that assumption? :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys. White structure will be a modified "Waterloo Farm" kit. Ruin is a modified, very old (70s) resin kit.
Looking excellent there Paul :smiling3:
I had a "Waterloo Farm" kit when I was a kid,it was Airfix I think,but would've been 1/72.Is yours a 1/87 version of the same kit? Just curious!
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That Waterloo Farmhouse (Supposedly Hougamont I think. I’ve still got mine upstairs In it’s box ;) ) was billed as OO/HO, like most of the Airfix stuff at the time. Their tanks were 1/76, which is the scale of OO railway bodywork, but the buildings and earlier figures were much closer to 1/87 (HO) scale.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That Waterloo Farmhouse (Supposedly Hougamont I think. I’ve still got mine upstairs In it’s box ;) ) was billed as OO/HO, like most of the Airfix stuff at the time. Their tanks were 1/76, which is the scale of OO railway bodywork, but the buildings and earlier figures were much closer to 1/87 (HO) scale.

Andy, Tim is correct again, old Airfix it is.
This is the one i`m thinking of.......
Battle of Waterloo Farmhouse Airfix 04738 - Copy.jpg
Andy,(I couldn`t have been much more than 9 or 10 at the time i had it!!:tears-of-joy:)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
….and here is mine…..
4D54DEA3-EFA5-4818-ADA8-23E26597ABA5.jpeg
Original boxing I think…..I was about ten as well ;) It’s the OO/HO that shows it’s size. A bit disingenuous of them labelling it as 1/72 on the newer boxing, because it never was. OO is 1/76, the same scale as their tanks. This is definitely closer to the 1/87 HO part of the range though, fitting well with their building range such as the church, unless Belgian Napoleonic buildings only had five foot doorways;)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Indeed Rick, have used it as a WWII German aid station site. See 'Some of My earlier Work'.
Thanks Jim, SWMBO says I'm a hoarder, but I almost always come up w/what's needed for around the house & my modeling needs.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I remember the book you suggested on the Red Ball Express .
Very unsung group of drivers , who with out the push to Germany would have failed .
Great build Paul .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great minds think alike!!.....I too have the title of "Hoarder in Chief" and my youngest also has the disease.....we lack for nothing!!;):thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The kit has no floors or windows & few doors so into the "extras" box to acquire some potential candidates. Some scrap styrene & a couple legos keep things square in the house. Red tile roofs & white brick will not be appropriate for this time & place.
100_3183.JPG