1/87 Scale Romanian G-8-T Ford Captured

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here is my completed Ford 3 tonner.....they were used extensively by the Russian Army and quickly repurposed by the Wehrmacht once they were captured. I did not do a build thread on this as I was uncertain if it was going to survive the ordeal.......resin is my last resort when building obscure or hard to get pieces for the collection. For what it's worth I hope you like it better than I do ;) Rick H.P1012020.JPGP1012021.JPGP1012022.JPGP1012025.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice your tarps are always impressive.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Jim.....and yes they did ride them pretty hard. I try to impart that when I do these East Front vehicles. Thanks for commenting. Rick H.

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Lee, been fooling around with different ideas when it comes to tarps.....I have discovered I can get a more "relaxed" look to the canvas by first gluing it down to the supports and then brushing on the diluted glue and water to the material in between until it gets the right amount of "sag". Glad you like it and thanks for dropping by. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Tim.......I just despise resin kits to the point that I have yet to impress myself when one is finally completed.........in the scale of 1/87 the detail is just not as crisp as injection molding so they always leave me with a feeling that I didn't do enough to get the model to where I think it should be. :thinking:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Rick

The fact they're only only 1/87 AND resin is all the more impressive.

Out of interest what do you use for the tarp canvas? I've been playing around for a while with tissue paper.

ATB.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The Race Towers are working overtime here lately but how can they resist all the great builds going on here on the thread.
Job well done Rick peaking the interests of Race Towers Committee.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm honored......but I don't share your opinion Mr. Race. At best it's a mad attempt to create a passable example of an obscure vehicle in the Wehrmacht. But I thank you just the same, kind Sir. ;)

Andrew.......I am also using tissue paper, but it is not TP or Kleen-X. It is the type that you find in a shoe box or wrap a gift with. Much more durable and does not fall apart when wet. Thanks for the kind words.:thumb2: Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Lee......I know I can be my own worst critic at times, but I somehow feel that this model is lacking something......just can't put my finger on it. Thanks again for commenting. Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
It is the type that you find in a shoe box or wrap a gift with.
Rick. Every time I see this type of paper I wonder how it would work as a tarp. I’ve almost tried it a couple times but didn’t have the nerve thanks for sharing that now I think I’ll try it.
You deserve that recognition especially in this scale.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Lee and thanks again.......I was skeptical as well, at first..........just go slow and add the water/glue slowly and sparingly......it is possible to oversaturate it and it will pull apart at the edges of the tarp supports if you overload it. There is a trick though........have your blow dryer handy and if you see it getting too wet just switch it on to LOW speed WARM at a distance of at least a foot and once it has dried a little you can continue to work with it. Have fun. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Tony I'm glad you like it....I have other resin kits I'm going to have to wade through in the future, maybe I'll get better at working with this stuff. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Mr Jones, I really appreciate your input. This kit was my only option at getting a G-8-T in the collection so I bit the bullet and here we are. Rick H.