1/87 Sheaves & block & tackle

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Had an idea for a couple Famos dragging a Sturmtiger out of a ditch using sheaves, block & tackle equipment and a stationary bergepanther as anchor for the tackle. Scratching sheaves and working block & tackle is proving to be interesting in my scale:smiling2:. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have tried to do them in 35 not easy so good luck mate. But I reckon you have the skills to carry it off.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Moses Paul,

The only place I have seen anything close was in model sailing ships like the Revell Cutty Sark or others. The scale is usually over 1/100, but could be used with a little modification. There are dealers that specialize in model ships/accessories on the net. I am sure Ralph knows a few for the extras he uses for his ship dios. The name Alnavco sticks in my head for some reason…....HTHs

Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
There seem to be quite a few in HO rail scale, which I think is 1/76, fairly close.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This kind of stuff is available in all sorts of sizes for ship modellers. It’s not usually sold as being for any particular scale, so you’ll need to work out how big the items need to be and you may be able to find something of the right size among model ship accessories.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you all for your swift responses. Dave's nautical source has some beautiful plain brass pulleys & Dzohn's some detailed pewter ones, both offer sizes appropo my scale. Will investigate cost/shipping. These helped expand my searches for block & tackle frames for the pulleys, but my searches came up dry. Will continue the search as well as my scratching efforts. Some bits collected & slight progress. PaulE

Reactions: PJR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Paul, go to steelnavy.com and on the home page you will find a whole lot of shops with nautical goodies, ie. Tom's Modelworks or White Ensign Models to name a few...…….

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Allen. Wiseman Model Services came up with 4 pulley block & tackles in my scale. Four seems like overkill, but a 70 ton pull is substantial. I'll use tow bars & chain at the Bergepanther & tiger as two Famos could pull over 100tons at the heavy end w/that setup. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul whatever the outcome I'm sure you'll do just fine, love the whole concept .looking fwd to this .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This seems an ambitious undertaking, looking forward to seeing this develop into another Paul E.
masterpiece. Good luck with the rigging! Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the encouragement. A rough idea of what I envision. C&Cs encouraged. PaulE
The block & tackle would be between Panther & tiger w/towbar between the Famos. Crews hanging about giving directions & waiting to be maimed by broken cables.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looks great Paul,

I love the winter scenery and I'm 100% for the broken cables story line too!!! It will be another classic. Will you be adding any ski troops to the scene……….I'm outta here...…...

Prost
Allen

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul looks a perfect set up , love the bit about being maimed by cables, been watching recovery jobs on U Tube . The amount of "professionals " you see climbing over cables or standing in within striking distance of a cable amazes me.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My son mentioned that at his work when winching they stay in the vehicle with the hood/bonnet up so if a cable snaps it's less likely to decapitate someone. I recall reading that the German WWII maint/recovery dudes were prohibited from walking underneath turrets being lifted. This was illustrated by a posed photo of the whole team underneath a suspended Tiger I turret :smiling2:. PaulE

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The amount of "professionals " you see climbing over cables or standing in within striking distance of a cable amazes me.
I think this is a bit of a modern attitude that may not have been present in the Second World War, or if it was a rule then already, was probably more likely to be ignored than it would be today.

A related thing that’s very obvious in films etc. when you know it, is that actors these days all get firearms safety instructions, meaning you’ll always see them with fingers off the trigger unless they’re about to fire. This is accurate in, say, a film about Western troops in the Iraq War, but for movies set in the more distant past …? Firearms instructors please look away now.

a002941-v8.jpg

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you want a historically representative model, you may need to ignore some rules you’ve been taught as if they’re universal standards :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My son mentioned that at his work when winching they stay in the vehicle with the hood/bonnet up so if a cable snaps it's less likely to decapitate someone. I recall reading that the German WWII maint/recovery dudes were prohibited from walking underneath turrets being lifted. This was illustrated by a posed photo of the whole team underneath a suspended Tiger I turret :smiling2:. PaulE
Paul, he is so right .Having witnessed a 16 linker chain snapping when we were in training I can vouch how far the winch rope could fly, it went passed the Scammell with a thud as it snaked over the cab and the old Conqueror tank shot back into the lake .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Do you need any research photos Paul as I have a few in the collection?

Reactions: PJR