1-87 Zis 5 Tanker for Mr. T.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No sweat Allen, I have been through a couple of thousand photos on my fav. WW2 forum......no luck. Have seen several rear end shots of Zis 5's and 6's neither of which had tail lights so I ain't going to worry about it. This puppy is getting paint tomorrow. Thanks for your help in this........much appreciated Sir.
Rick H.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dang it Rick, you must have the same shrinking ray gun Simon had. Really nice details. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for the laugh Richard, I wondered how he did it. This should be the final build update before paint.......drilled out headlights located and installed, windshield wiper installed and a scratched driver's side mirror from .005 thick strip punched .048 dia. and glued to .010 dia brass rod. I think I will base coat it in black and try my hand at modulating the 4BO over the top.......in this scale it may not be noticeable, but worth a try. Rick H.P1011469.JPGP1011471.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's coming along at a fair old rate Rick. I have always had trouble getting hold of small chain. Is this 50 or 60 links per inch? It always seems to be in the States that you can get the really small stuff. I tried N Gauge chain but its still too big

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Steve, the chain is 40 lpi. and it's almost too bulky for 1/87 scale, if you happen to know of a source for finer chain let me know. This product is produced by the Model Railroad detail manufacturer called A-Line. They also make the wipers I use for my windscreens. Thanks for dropping by.
Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have 48 links per inch. I brought up a whole load of it from a railway shop a few years back. He said it was using on coal wagons?? Another area I have yet to explore are ship modellers for the anchor chains. I believe they could be 50 or 60 links per inch. I just remember that when I last looked into this everything seemed to be in the USA

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick have you try any Ulrich models chain? I bought a bunch of it when it was available might try the web that A- line chain Joe sell is not to scale as he markets it.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. Waiting for the wet stuff. The last coat of the wet stuff if you know what I mean.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Lee, I'm surprised JR hasn't been around to tell me which shade of 4BO he thinks I should paint it! :rolling:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. He’s probably exhausted from all the Rabble he’s done today

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rick
Great progress. Simon would approve, especially that bucket. Paint ties it all together.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Lee and Jim, Tomorrow will be the test to see if I can modulate the green over the black with any degree of success. If not I'll just have to two coat it and call it good. Then press on with the washes, dry brushing and weathering. Cheers, Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tried to do a modulation on thisP1011473.JPG tiny creature.........just not enough real estate to do it properly so I two coated it in "Rooskie" green and called it good. Will give it a good 24 hours to dry and start the detail painting. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here is a tease shot of the finished product..........look for the completed build in completed soft skins under the completed military vehicle thread. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the members who followed, offered support and suggestions and outright praise for my efforts on Simon's behalf.
Rick H.P1011481.JPG

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Absolutely top work Rick. She's one Simon would be proud of for sure! And so tiny too boot.............

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Allen.....means a lot coming from you. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I recognise the Simon bucket anywhere. Great finish Rick.

Cheers,
Richard