1/8th Scale Nike Zeus.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
IMG_0001 (7).JPG I chose to use a paper method to reduce the amount of sanding, filling and priming. These are plywood making them quite sturdy. The grain is already removed requiring only one or two coats of primer.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
IMG_0001 (12).JPG These are the intermediate fins that are attached above the primary fins above. They are laser cut which beats the old 'die crunch' fins of yesteryear. These too will get the paper treatment as I'll show next.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have moved this to the Artillery section as The Zeus was a missil designed for shooting large bombers and later ICBM's down, rather than an actual spaceship.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gets better with each photo, love the idea of the laser cut ply .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven well its different from the saturn i'll say that an being a missele according to Ian what size engine will you have to fit to hit the 7000 ft mark as with our small rockets we only got up into the hundreds of ft with our C65 engines but it was great fun at the time only trouble was for us it was finding the rockect on recovery
chris

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
HI Steven well its different from the saturn i'll say that an being a missele according to Ian what size engine will you have to fit to hit the 7000 ft mark as with our small rockets we only got up into the hundreds of ft with our C65 engines but it was great fun at the time only trouble was for us it was finding the rockect on recovery
chris
This rocket can use anywhere from H through K impulse motors. You can use engines from 29 mm. 38 mm. to 54 mm. in diameter using motor system adaptors. Later I'll show you how the motor adaptor system works.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice video Steven.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
IMG_0001 (18).JPG IMG_0002 (13).JPG Though maybe not apparent, I've used CA on the edges of the fins to seal, smooth out and secure the ends of the paper. Some areas soaked in more CA than others as the reason for differences in color. With sanding, this will become consistent.