1/9 Ivan Kozhedub Bust - Hero of the Soviet Union

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This ia a resin bust from Mitches Military Models, sculpted by Pavol Ovecka.
Ivan Kozhedub ( 1920 -1991 ) was the allegedly highest scoring Soviet Fighter Pilot, with 60 kills - he survived the war, and continued to high rank in the air force ( Marshal of Aviation ).
Ivan-Kozhedub-1200x0-c-default.jpg
I've washed the resin, and since I was using dunkelgelb primer for my Stug, I thought it was a suitable colour for the primercoat

DSCF0357.JPG
I looked out a suitable plinth for him to rest on, as well

DSCF0360.JPGDSCF0361.JPG

Even at this high magnification, the resin is smooth and pretty near flawless.
One thing I note is the wearing of the medals, both in the photograph and the bust. Did Soviet pilots fly wearing medals?, or is this just for propaganda?
I'm starting this in parallel with the Stug, as I can pick it up & do a little painting without disturbing my workbench. I've had some tuition on doing eyes, so hopefully he'll be better than the Duke of Wellington.........
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Great stuff Dave - looking forward to this.

The Germans were encouraged to wear their awards at all times, and it is something the Soviets took up nearer the end of the war, though I'd say in this case Kozhedub is wearing them for a publicity photograph.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After life getting in the way again, I have done a bit of painting on Ivan - he has rather narrowed eyes, which complicates my poor eye painting skills...........................DSCF0369.JPG
I need to refine the upper & lower eyelids.................... I can then get the oils working on the skin tones. The goggles & how to show the lenses are going to be a challenge
The torso is pretty plain - I need to check up on the medal colours, but not looking bad - some delicate washes should bring out the texture on his webbing, and his tunic stitching
DSCF0365.JPG

I shouldn't cringe at the defects these high magnification pictures show up, but still.........................
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I shouldn't cringe at the defects these high magnification pictures show up,
You definitely shouldn't. Looks good to me. I really admire you for tackling so many aspects of the hobby. If that approach spreads we could yet see Mr Day building a 1/32 helicopter :rolling:
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Looking very good Dave. Don't worry about the high magnification - it shows up far more than the eye could ever see at any viewing distance. And for what it's worth, I always find the eyes on Pavol Ovecka's sculpts a nightmare - very narrow and with wrinkly lids.

A helicopter is very unlikely for me, but I do have a Tamiya PzKpfw II in the stash.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Andrew
The core reason for our modelmaking should be our pleasure and enjoying it together, which we're achieving here. Perfection should be our goal but not the reason why we do it. Have fun!!
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sounds awful, but I'm happy that you have trouble with PO eyes! I don't feel quite as bad with my efforts!!!!
I still have one PO bust left - his eyes look a little wider

mml.JPG
Sgt Farrier 5th ( Royal Irish ) Lancers 1880s
Dave

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking good David, not a figure painter myself but always enjoy seeing others doing their magic.

As for the googles, use a bit of epoxy either clear or coloured to show the glass lenses.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The goggles & how to show the lenses are going to be a challenge ........

You could try and show the underlying helmet, after checking out the tint ( if any) of the goggles;

full size-1.jpg

Or paint in a faux sky ;

20190526_120751.jpg

Plenty of examples and 'How-to' on the web to give you a head start

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steve,
thanks for the input - I'm going to try and do a clear glass finish, with the helmet below, slightly darker, with a glaze over the top.........
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Front seat for the sculpt of Ivan Kozhedub.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Late on parade, Mr Race! Jankers for you.
More work,.......................................DSCF0374.JPGDSCF0372.JPGDSCF0373.JPG
Got to paint his medal ribbons, then a few gentle washes on his torso. His head - I need to add the glaze to his goggles, and add a few touches to his flying helmet, especially around the face/leather join, but I think I'm getting there - I think the next post will be in the completed section!
Dave