1/9 Protar Ducati 916 racing.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You deserve a medal for you patience with that chain.Builds looking good and that paddock stand you scratched is really good. I love motorbikes I should build one someday. Here's mine 1:1 scale.
View attachment 422297
Cheers John.
The paddock stand is part of the kit John and as for 1:1 scale here is mine.
50385723108_4172a1273f_b.jpg

Andy.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Sounds like you need a half link - yeah, right! :smiling5:
No adjustment on the rear wheel?

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sounds like you need a half link - yeah, right! :smiling5:
No adjustment on the rear wheel?
I am afraid not, the real Ducatis have an eccentric adjuster on the single sided swingarm models but no such luxury here.

Andy.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I am afraid not, the real Ducatis have an eccentric adjuster on the single sided swingarm models but no such luxury here.

Andy.
Out comes the file and stretch the hole by half a mil, though that could be another kettle of fish! :upside: ;)
Take it that it's a 'concentric' swingarm, where chain tension is the same all the way through the travel.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice Honda I previously had the 500 a few years ago. I've got 3 bikes in the stash one of them being the Italeri Norton. Have you ever built that kit? View attachment 422366
If it is the Italeri Manx Norton it is a reboxed Protar kit, never built one but watched a video somewhere about it and the builder was less than impressed so I will give that one a miss

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks to all for the kind comments, much appreciated.

Andy.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Out comes the file and stretch the hole by half a mil, though that could be another kettle of fish! :upside: ;)
Take it that it's a 'concentric' swingarm, where chain tension is the same all the way through the travel.
Funnily enough I was thinking along those lines this afternoon but one extra stroke of the file could cause more problems. :smiling5:

Andy.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
If it is the Italeri Manx Norton it is a reboxed Protar kit, never built one but watched a video somewhere about it and the builder was less than impressed so I will give that one a miss
I'll leave it where it is then.:tears-of-joy: Thanks for the heads up. I do have a couple of the Tamiya kits. Cheers John

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I wondered if there was an opportunity to carry out a bit of a fudge on the chain somewhere out of sight like under the gearbox sprocket cover...

Nice bikes guys - perhaps we need a side thread elsewhere....

Nick

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I wondered if there was an opportunity to carry out a bit of a fudge on the chain somewhere out of sight like under the gearbox sprocket cover...

Nice bikes guys - perhaps we need a side thread elsewhere....

Nick
No room to do that so I went with my original thought and got the round file out. :surprised: I carefully sanded the hole in the swingarm where the spindle goes through to lengthen it a bit then packed the front half of the spindle with some tape to bring the spindle back to tighten the chain, and it worked. The downside is that the rear sprocket now does not turn but that is no bad thing as the chain is so fragile but the rear wheel will still turn, job done as far as I am concerned, will post a picture tomorrow hopefully.

Andy.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The chain looks like it should now(ish). :smiling5:
51166834724_86e69288a6_b.jpg
Front forks fitted with mudguard, or fender if you are from the USA.
51165387397_793ea88fa6_b.jpg
This has shown up another problem as the tyre is slightly wider than the gap between the brake calipers so it might be a pain to get the wheel in without disturbing/breaking anything.
Decals on the tyres, here's hoping they stay there.
51166289338_d923467b90_b.jpg

Andy.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Seems like problem after problem with this build - all little things, but always something to work around, chin up and it'll come together in the end!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I am sure it will but if someone mentions Protar to me again I will run a mile.

Andy.
Glad that I only ever did their 'simple' speedway bike after reading your tribulations - that, for me at the time, was quite advanced

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That really is looking good! I admire your patience and problem-solving skills - your modelling (Yorkshire accent) "'ll do!" Nice one Andy! I like the idea of a two-wheely thing thread; my last three bikes were (in order) Honda VFR, Honda RC30 and a 900 HD soft tail. SWMBO doesn't like bikes so now it's a much more sedate Ford Fiesta (complete with mud, dog hair and dent)

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit more done today with a dry fit of the exhaust system.
51171335550_989d596485_b.jpg
I thought I would make sure it all lined up before committing to any sticky stuff.
First and perhaps the only coat of Italian red on the seat/tank unit.
51170242661_efcab8f429_b.jpg

Andy.