1/9 Wellington 'v' bust

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Eyes are a right PITA, you get one perfect do the other one and touch up and one slip - bang it all turns to a crock of Sh.. lol. Starting to learn to leave them alone once i am happy enough

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Getting them reasonably symmetrical is a problem, one side looks OK, but the other like he's been in a ring with Tyson Fury! :sad:
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Coming along nicely Dave. I had a look at my old thread on this bust and I'd commented that the eyes were a real problem, as they are with most of Pavol Ovecka's busts. One trick, if they are different sizes, is to have him looking to one side - much easier to do as well.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A little painting on the torso..........................
DSCF0225.JPG

The head? - well......................................
DSCF0224.JPGDSCF0234.JPG

Looks OK? It's only when you look at him full face, you can see the problem!
DSCF0230.JPG

One eye bigger than the other! My painting probably accentuates it, but ??!!!!
I know Mr Day had problems with the eyes, as well, so I'm partly reassured it isn't all my fault! _ I'm going to try a little remedial painting, to see if I can ease the situation, but it hasn't helped my blood pressure!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dave, work on it slowly. It's supposed to be relaxing and not build up blood pressure. On a large bust as this you can afford to work in small areas at a time for instants just the cheek alone or the lip or nose. Blend where you can if you're using oils, a couple of shades for a smooth transition. If the hand shakes, stop and prop it on any leverage perhaps against your other hand as you hold the figure. I have steady hands yet I still need a prop to rest on and let my fingers do the manipulation of the brush.
Keep calm, you'll be fine and keep it up.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Dave. Coming along nicely.

I would echo Richard's comments and recommend working on small areas at a time. For instance, get the left eye painted and then work on the right to match it. Don't worry about shading at first, just try to get a clean finish with a bit of outlining first.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've put him down for today - I'll decide whether it's better to try and correct the paint, or strip it back and start more or less from scratch on the face
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Dave I think your doing a Stirling job, like the rest have said take your time. Your doing a far better job than I could do. I must get one to practice on. keep up the great work.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I decided to remove the offending paint...................
DSCF0239.JPG

And eyes, and the skin basetone done
DSCF0242.JPG

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic this time - don't know why, but hoping this is the going to be the last
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Brave man! Stripping down is always an option, and one I use all the time. Looking good Dave.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK, I think I'm gradually getting into the methodology of this, I realise that earlier attempts, I'd used too much difference between tints, and not really used the oil paints to their proper degree....................
DSCF0245.JPG

It needs a lot more work, but I think the basics are now there. I'm still having trouble keeping my hands still, even though I've used a wrist rest - maybe a little less coffee.....................
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's the ticket Dave. :thumb2:

I like the way this guy paints. Although he uses acrylics, the technique and how he uses the brush and strokes is what I use. Perhaps you could have a look Here

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Looking good that man. I think the way is to build up the differences in tone gradually, as you say.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rich,
looked at the YouTube video - very impressive - Not only the speed, but the size of brush he was using, it looked almost like a 1, I've been using mainly a 00. I may have a go at that bigger brush tomorrow - I like the use of acrylics, but I'm going to stay with oils on this feller - I even have some acrylic retarder in the paintbox - maybe I'll use that on the 1/16 Viking
Dave

D

Deleted member 4539

When you have never painted anything like this it is daunting.
But trying new things is fun and that is all that matters.
Keep up the good work.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, I think it's not bad and yes it takes time. That's the enjoyment of figure painting...no cutting, sanding or gluing or any worries of alignment or a tail sitter.:smiling2:

With oil paints you might need some time in between different shades of colors especially the eyes. Oils aren't very opaque so that's why eyes are done first and then you paint out either that or you wait till the layer has cured. The other thing I found out in art school was with oils we often use spatulas and coarse brushes for application with strong broad strokes often leaving a rough texture on the canvas.
To counter this heavy texture on figure painting we take advantage of the translucent nature of oils by preparing the base with acrylics in it's intended color for instants pale yellow for skin and white for the eyes. The oils are then layered thinly and blended with a separate clean brush.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
I've stopped using oils for the eyes, and now am using acrylics, it seems to work better in a tightly defined area - the same thing for the metallics of the braids & decorations. I'm suffering from a case of the shakes at the moment - after about 2 or 3 minutes of concentration, I can't keep my hands steady, so no benchtime at the moment
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A good rest in between is also advisable. Take your time Dave.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A little more work, and I couldn't resist trying his head to his body....................DSCF0257.JPG

At this rate, I may finish this by next year! ( hmmm those eyebrows look really bad in close up! )
Dave