120mm British Paras

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

I was lucky enough to recently receive some more figures from Richard Pearce's stash:

100_2942.JPG

The set includes two full figures and tons of accessories for two 120mm British Airborne figures by Gordon Mitchell. These are superb - I've never seen better - so I hope that I can do them justice. I'm not sure how to arm the figures as there are PIATs a Sten, Bren and Lee Enfield included in the package, so I think I'll just have a bit of a play around.

Thanks so much Richard.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see the mighty PDiddy Grandiddy back at the bench:smiling3: Looking forward to seeing what you do with the mighty Airborne. Top man again Richard:thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Always nice to see my surplus old spares being put to good use.Id rather have our friend Peter paint and enjoy them.rather than stuff lingering in my drawers( No smut you lot!!!.).
Enjoy mate.
Richard

D

Dave S4

Oh, use the Lee Enfield! It was a superb rifle. An iconic weapon.
Ahem... enjoy the project. British paras are an aspirational subject for me. Just need to find the right figure.
Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Grandad Peter
Enjoying your new role :smiling4:
Lovely sculpts and very generous of Richard. Looking forward to this.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hello chaps - I guess Granddad is my new name now eh? Thoroughly enjoying the role and thoroughly besotted with my new Granddaughter.

Richard - I hope these haven't been in your drawers!

Dave - Probably will use the Lee Enfield with the second figure. He's meant to be carrying a PIAT, but the castings for those are a bit rough - may use them as extras on the base.

OK, the first figure is ready for painting:

100_2943.JPG

I noticed that he had a Bren magazine in his ammo pouch so I've decided to make him a Bren Gunner. Construction was pretty easy, but some of the detail had been lost near to the casting blocks. For that reason, the boots and gaiters needed a bit of attention in particular, with new laces and straps being made.

D

Dave S4

Belated congratulations.
Sorry for missing that.
Great news!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Good looking figures and 3 colour denison smocks to paint too.
I have the Rob Hendon DVD but he paints the smock with an airbrush.
I guess you will all be getting used to new routines from here.
Enjoy the painting.
Regards
Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes...Paras and a Granddad painting them. :smiling6: Peter, not necessary that bren magazines mean he carries a bren gun as all in the unit carry spare bren magazines for the section bren gunner. Anyway his pose looks like he would be carrying one so good choice. Will be watching this from the sidelines.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning. I've done Denisons before and they tend to be a bit easier than German camos - wider patches of colour that are easier to shade (famous last words). Have slept an awful lot since getting home and feel I really have to push myself to start painting.

Richard - Yes, I realised that about the magazine. Not sure I will use the Bren after all as I can't seem to get it to fit convincingly. May give him the Sten instead.

D

Deleted member 6559

The first head:

100_2946.JPG

A week away from the work bench sure tells - it took me a very long time to get my eye in today.

This is the third head I've tried. The first kit head had dodgy eyes which I couldn't resolve, so I dug out a helmeted Verlinden spare which unfortunately turned out to be a real horror. This is another kit head, which thankfully has turned out reasonably OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Howdy Peter.
Nice to see the para staring to.take shape.I thought the helmets i had werent the best of shapes and faces a bit hmm strange anatomically.Hope things dont fight you too much mate.Im still working on the Polar explorer and hoping to get him tidied up soon ready to cast.Plus ive started another Austrian Pandour today in the sculpting today.
All the best.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard

There are a couple of very good faces amongst the heads, so it shouldn't be a problem. It's as much about getting used to another sculptor's style as anything. These are quite Moz Corry like I think, and quite unusual for 120mm.

Next the Denison.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If took you you a long time to get settled in , I spent even longer searching for my seat. Full of
Baby clothes.:tongue-out3:
Think the break will have done you good that head certainly looks so. The sculptor has made the head very English looking, compare him with the evil looking huns you have had .
John .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Think the break will have done you good that head certainly looks so. The sculptor has made the head very English looking, compare him with the evil looking Huns you have had .
John .

Morning Peter, John has hit the nail on the head, super head:cool:

Have another great day at the bench

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

John - Thanks. He does look like a Brit I agree. Just put that dirty nappy on the floor.....

Steve - Glad you like him.

Ian - Thank you.

I decided on a long slog today to get the Denison smock done:

100_2952.JPG100_2953.JPG

The pattern itself wasn't too problematic as Denison camo was very loosely drawn. I gave the whole thing a dark base of Russian Uniform mixed with German Camo Black Brown, then worked on small sections in turn, highlighting and shading as I went along. The basic background is again Russian Uniform, with Medium Olive for the green and mixes of Flat Earth and Dark Red for the brown. All were mixed with black brown and Off White to shade.

You'll notice that I had to add a neck scarf, made from Miliput to accommodate the head, as the neck was rather thin.

Anyway, that's the hardest bit done, bar some touching up.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Think you should be happy with that, a very subtle camo indeed. The scarf looks perfect, like the colour.
Nappy in bin !!
John .

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Now thats a nice sight as i sit down after gadding around.Really nice Peter Grandaddy D.Really nice Denison mate.
Coming along a treat.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps. Guess what? I'm going to have to put it on hold for a few days - have had to rush down to Lewes for some emergency Granddadding. Just when I was getting stuck in........