120mm Eighth Army Figure

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2275.JPG

I recently got an email from Richard Pearce to say that I was about to inherit his 120mm spares box, full of mostly Verlinden parts (Richard has decided to concentrate in future on sculpting for his own company, Mookies Miniatures). What I received through the post blew me away - enough parts to make up at least twelve full figures and enough spare kit to last a lifetime. What an amazing bloke! My undying gratitude Richard.

He'd sent me this 8th Army figure a little earlier, but unfortunately it was missing a few parts, the most problematic being the shorts. Happily, in the stash that followed there was a pair of British WW2 legs, so I was able to go ahead and build a hybrid.

100_2277.JPG

It's totally changed the pose of the figure, so that he's now adopting quite a combative stance. I also needed to find some ammo pouches, and having no British ones I made these up from some US Vietnam spares. which needed lengthening and re-shaping. The bayonet sheath was also missing, but easy to scratch. The entrenching tool was also absent, so I decided to attempt to scratch one from plastic sheet, scrap resin and metal foil, and was quite surprised that I got something workable.

The head has been painted:

100_2280.JPG

Bit of a funny one, this, but it has a bit of character (great depiction of British dentistry, the secret weapon that scared more of the enemy than anything else in the arsenal).

I also decided to paint the entrenching tool to see if it would be usable:

100_2281.JPG

I think it will do.

So, onwards......

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey we are back mate.
The 8th army frankenfigure looks darn good to me my friend.Its nice that my unwanted spares have gone to a good home.Gives me pleasure seeing you create some ingenious creations from spares.Theres plenty more still in the cupboard and wardrobe mate.Got half a carrier bag of 1.16th Dragon stuff still and some u.k airborne 120s!!!.
Enjoy mate.
Richard

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Your Christmas comes on June 1st :smiling4: I am sure you will make good use of Richard's generous pressie. Character in that face.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
How very generous of Richard, and what a great gift Peter.
Should keep you busy for a few days .:smiling3:.

I'm afraid if I sent you my spares box contents it would mostly be track links and wheels .:sad:
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I can only thank you again. Sifting through the box of parts was abit like playing with Lego - hours of fun.

Jim - A great intro to June indeed. Not sure about the head. I could swap it for a more realistic one, but I'd have to destroy this one in the process to use the neck.

John - Yes, hopefully Richard's gift should keep me out of trouble for a while. My previous spares box was looking a bit thin - lots of left hands only (for some reason), rejected heads etc.

D

Deleted member 6559

Okey dokey, that's the shirt and webbing done:

100_2283.JPG100_2284.JPG

The finish is a bit shiny yet, but should matt down some more as it dries.

He keeps reminding me of someone:

Chips Rafferty  The Desert Rats (1953).jpg

Chips Rafferty in 'The Desert Rats' (1953).

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard is indeed a top bloke. You certainly have plenty to keep you going mate. Is this the same size as you Rommel figure?

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Steve - Richard has done me proud. The Rommel figure is 1/16 and looks a bit smaller than this one. I was thinking of teaming him with a DAK prisoner - I'll have to see what I can find.

D

Deleted member 6559

I liked the idea of this chap guarding a prisoner, so:

100_2285.JPG

This is based on a DAK torso I had and parts from Richard's box of tricks (mainly from the Verlinden Ernst Tiburzy kit, I think). I've decided to make him an officer in riding breeches, and have given him riding boots - not normal wear I know, but most DAK troops abandoned the official footwear and perhaps this chap bought these with him in the hope of doing a spot of riding in the desert (!). I'm going to bandage the right hand and have him looking a bit roughed up.

A

Armorguy

Incredible paintwork Peter, you master the acrylics like no one sir !

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Well done Richard, a prince among men,

Another great start Peter, though a little disturbing to hear you say you were not struck on the head.

I was just starting to work through the blog, and when I saw the head, it stuck me that your painting has improved tremendously since I first found your blogs about 2 years ago.

The tones and blending have improved to such a high level, it is definitely better than most of the planet figure mob turn out on their forum.

I must admit to being a little shocked that you think he might not be up to standard.

Perhaps a fresh view in the morning might help.

The duo look like a great combo, for a little base Peter.

Hopefully a positive start tomorrow?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Guy - Thanks, as always.

Steve - It was more that I felt the sculpt was somewhat unrealistic, but I quite like him now.

I'm glad you have seen some improvement over the last couple of years. It's difficult to gauge if one's made any progress from the sharp end. I still feel I have a long, long way to go, but then there would be no point doing it if it was easy. Many thanks for your encouraging words.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
I like the Dak prisoner idea.He looks a dapper chappie in his breeches.I know lots of officers bought fine togs themselves so he could be one of these aristocrats.The old spares are getting good usage.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for the thumbs up on the German, Richard.

The results of today's session:

100_2286 (2).JPG

I found painting the legs quite difficult this time, a combination of the sculpt and colour choice creating problems. I've tried to depict faded British battledress using mixes of Vallejo Grey Green and English Uniform.

I've also tried to give the boots and lower parts of the trousers a dusty look by dry brushing on mixes of English Uniform and Flat White. I'm not sure about the result. The temptation is to take it further, but I think I'll leave it as it is for the time-being (not my favourite part).

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Absolutely nothing wrong with that Peter, just take a deep breath and carry on, he certainly looks as though he's been kicking about in the dust.
Mick

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice Peter.
I personally love the colours.Really nice contast between the shirt and trousers.Will look great when all painted.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Mick and Richard - I went off and left him for a few hours and returned feeling much better.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Great progress Peter,

Love the dry brushed dusting, its much better than pigments and really does complement the washed out look of the shirt and trousers.

its been a while since your latest update has been on page 2!

This really is a busy site, and all the better for it.

next episode, please.

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Steve.

I know - you're following a post, then it's gone. A very busy site indeed.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I also think that the faded, dusty look has worked very well.
Jim