120mm Eighth Army Figure

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
FANTASTIC... the desert look is really realistic.. l Love it and as usual your palette is fenomenal

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Beautiful work as always. :thumb2:
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Greg and John. It's getting there. Been working on a simple base this evening.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter stunniing work as always I don't know how you keep up such a high standard, keep it up and good luck with the German prisoner. :thumb2:
Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Pete. As long as it remains fun......

The top half of the prisoner is done:

100_2306.JPG100_2308.JPG

This was quite fiddly as there was a lot of detail to consider. The base for the jacket was Vallejo Green Grey, darkened and lightened where necessary.

D

Deleted member 6559

I hope so Mick.

I've put the first figure on the base:

100_2309.JPG100_2310.JPG

The base was done by masking the edge, covering the centre with a mix of putty and white glue, and then sprinkling on garden grit. I painted it by dry-brushing mixes of English Uniform and Off White over a black base. I then added Green Line grass tufts, a twig from the garden and some bits of equipment from the spares box.

It's going to be a tight fit once the second figure is on, but I prefer a close arrangement to too much space. The German may well be telling the Tommy to watch what he does with that bayonet.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks really nice mate.Base sets him off.Maybe hes jonesy with his bayonet ready to poke the German up.the old arris if he gets shirty.
Richard

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Peter .
Good to see you've been out in the garden as well :tongue-out3:
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Yes, he could just be waggling the bayonet under his nose.
John - It was a very quick trip - we've got the bloke from the Thompson Twins, OMD and AHA playing at the cricket ground just down the road tonight - torture!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Peter
Sounds like you will have a musical evening whether you want one or not!
Never did figure out the Thompson Twin and the 3 of them?
I guess it was an 80's thing?
Love the German officer, he does look miffed.
Hope you have a good evening
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - It was OMD who gave the best performance. Tom Bailey hopelessly out of tune and AHA lots of 'La, la, la' and 'Oooh, ooh, ooh'. Terrible.

Didn't stop me making a few adjustments to the Brit on the base, ready to receive the POW. Should be done today.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Outstanding work Peter, top notch painting and weathering, very skillful and an amazing talent.

Love the base too, it is simple yet conveys so much and really adds to the scene.

One of my fave builds so far.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter .
Morning.
Glad your ears survived.
This weekend we have a Motown event at Burghly House Park. If the wind is in the right direction ........

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Si - A great compliment, thank you.
John - Morning. I would take Motown any day over that 80's stuff!

Nearly there with the vignette.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Superb. Love the boots and the dirt on the trousers. Bandage is a simple but very effective touch.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Glad you like him Jim. Thank you.

'Tis finished:

100_2320.JPG100_2321.JPG100_2324.JPG100_2325.JPG

A couple of final touches were the addition of the blanket roll and a bit of extra planting.

I'm too close to it at the moment to look at the finished thing objectively, but it was great fun to do and I'm pleased that the conversions worked out.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Excellent Peter.
Our chaps turned out rather well.As for the music well ive seen A.Ha live 2 years ago despite 2012 being there final show.They werent very audience orientated.Same as i was a teen in 80s my era.OMD we saw last November in ipswich and they were great and very loud.Im a lover of different music genres.Do love me disco music like chic and earth wind and fire.
Whats next then mate?
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Richard - glad you like how it turned out.

No, 80's music ain't my scene I'm afraid. Being older, my taste goes further back - Led Zeppelin, Cream, Love, Family, Rolling Stones, Vinegar Joe etc etc, and NO prog! I'm educating my guitar-wielding son on the heroes of the era.....