120mm German Cavalry Officer Conversion

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

8-SS-Florian-Geyer-px800.jpg

After dipping my toes only half successfully into the dark world of armour modelling, I've decided to go back to what I know and try to restore my confidence with a figure build (''Never get out of the boat!'').

This is something that I first made up some time ago from various parts in the spares box:

100_3652.JPG

The intention is to depict an SS cavalry officer. He'll be wearing the M1943 camo jacket, rather than the more usual smock, and will be armed with an MP44. He's made up of parts by Verlinden, Tamiya and Dragon.

Camo will seem like a doodle after trying to put together that darned T-34!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A welcome return to figure work. Good luck with that camo work and try not to squint to much:smiling5:.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Each to their own Peter, I've not seen the T34 yet, but expect it to be good.
Will follow, sitting next to Steve, he promised to bring the cakes .
John.

Oh dam :cold-sweat::cold-sweat::cold-sweat::disappointed::disappointed: about the T34 . pm sent

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I like doing Italian camo as the swathes of colour are fairly broad and therefore shadeable.

John and Jason - Sorry about the T-34, but it was a rotten kit.

I've had this figure sitting around waiting for paint for about six months and I suddenly felt like getting on with it. Should be less of a freak than the U-Boat man.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice start with this,Peter,I,have seen this one,and was going to get it,at one stage,
but then,could not find it,
do like your pick of camo,will look forward to seeing it take shape,:smiling:
this is,one I started the dragon one,a little time,back,well a long time ago,
but went with the autumn camo

Attachments

• 20190117_071221.jpg
    20190117_071221.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 12
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Monica

This is my version of the Dragon Florian Geyer horse and rider teamed with a Verlinden cavalry officer. If successful I might at the current figure to the group:

100_2109.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice,start,and knowing you,and your skills will do a grate job of him,:smiling:
with my I,m using two, other figures,that he is say get over there,

some time back I,did see a 120mm figure of a German officer ,mounted charging,but was out of stock,at the time,
and never have been able to find it again,which is a real shame,:disappointed:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Bit of a surprising morning, snow down outside and no T 34, but Italian camo, that should be fun to paint.

Looks like you will be having an interesting end to the week, it is the end of the week, isn't it?

The physio is going well and I have a kit on the bench too.

The figure should keep you out of trouble until next week.

Have good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Snow eh? Lets hope it doesn't head too far south, though it is very cold here. Glad to hear that the therapy is coming along and that you have something on the bench - don't forget to share it.

Yes, a pity about the T-34. I have made Tamiya's 1-48 version before, which is an excellent kit, so I may revisit it in that scale.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
Have fun and enjoy whatever you build. If Steve has cakes I’ll be sitting next to John.

R

RichardMo

oh man I remember those kits still have a large verlendin gray army. found a hobby shop going out of business and lets just say wife was NOT HAPPY. will be watching your amazing work.
Rick

J

John Cole

Gosh, amazing again Peter. You progress so regularly with such detail and paint skill. The way I have limited time I would say fast as well. Different make parts is fascinating and clever. I’ll be sitting waiting for updates!

D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - I bet your wife wasn't happy - mine would have killed me! Looking at the figure as it is now, it's actually more Dragon than Verlinden (6 parts to 2).

John - I've done quite a few of these composite figures. I was given a whole load of spares by Richard Pearce and made up a variety of subjects - there are a few threads on them somewhere on the list.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning head work Peter. As for the equipment will you paint off the figure and then add on at the end??. If so how do you go about doing the strap work please??

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

The equipment will be painted off the figure. It's quite large at this scale and can take the handling, and is much easier to get at when separate.

I'll paint the strap work as I work on the camo. I tend to work in small sections and complete them as I go along. The straps will be late issue webbing in khaki.