120mm German Cavalry Officer Conversion

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
R

RichardMo

Peter. I really like the dragon figures.only wish there faces was more detailed. I wish I could paint in small sections I have to do an entire upper or lower wish I could do what you do. that hobby shop sold those verlenden figures for 70% off so I went crazy lol
Rick

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Missed the beginning - sorry. Great start on this "figure of many parts". The head is really nice.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - 70% off? Oh, you lucky man. You've probably seen that since they stopped production, Verlinden figures on places like eBay are going for crazy prices. You can still find them on second-hand sites relatively cheaply, but there are not many around now.

I personally like Dragon heads. They all look like individuals and are always paintable (the above is by Dragon). You take pot-luck with Verlinden heads, and Alpine heads all tend to look the same.

Jim - Glad you like the head. Camo next, which is always daunting.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another super head, and your Franken figures are always a treat to watch.

They certainly are unique and always well presented.

The Italian camo is going to be really interesting, I have only seen it done as trousers by Oliver Kovacs on his DVD in 1:35, and it looked superb.

And, Yes I shall share the build shortly, just getting the magic tracks done first.

Its - 2C here but no frost? Weird weather?

Have a good day with the camo, have you chosen you base colours yet?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I've attempted Italian camo a couple of times before, with varying results (!). Cold start here too, but with a frost - not good for my chilblaines (first attack ever, and bloomin' painful).

On to our chap, and the top half of the jacket is done:

100_3667.JPG100_3669.JPG

Oooh, this was labour intensive - you do forget if you haven't done camo for a while. The colours were based on Vallejo Russian Uniform, Saddle Brown and Green Ochre, darkened and lightened as usual with Off White and German Camo Black Brown.

I first gave the whole thing a coat of the darkened green, then painted on the brown pattern. I then washed in the shadows with the black brown, then built up the highlights for each patch of colour separately, getting lighter as I went along. The hardest part is where there are large areas of exposed camo (eg the arms and back) as you have to watch that the pattern reads properly, but also modulate the tones .

I would normally try to finish the camo in one session, but my eyes and the light defeated me, stopping me getting further. Still, just the lower part of the jacket to do now, and as most of that is covered with equipment, that shouldn't be as time-consuming.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
fantastic,brush work so far,and your so fast,looking very good,liking him,
do like your style of face work,I do tend to dwell,and stumble a bit with them,:confused:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Very nice camo just a little more to finish today?
Hope the weather and chillblains are both OK?
The Laptop died last night, so no blog until it's fixed/replaced next week.
Anna is always niggling me about surfing whilst watching TV.
I know why, the TV is so dull, even the stuff we recorded on Q.
Have a good weekend painting.
Certainly a cracking start.
Regards
Steve H

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's looking really nice Peter. Good to see you back in your comfort zone for now :smiling:

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning. Bright and breezy here, with quite a heavy frost. Good painting light though. My wife surfs on her 'phone while watching TV - drives me nuts.

Mick - Thanks. I am enjoying this one:

OK, the camo is done:

100_3671.JPG100_3672.JPG

As you can see, I've also added those items of equipment that obscure the pattern most - no point in going to all of that effort if it's going to be covered. He will also have a water bottle, and perhaps a mess tin and pistol.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I dont know how you can sleep at night knowing there is no camo under his equipment. That would haunt me for a lifetime:smiling3::smiling5:

Terrific work as always sir. Glad you are enjoying it so much. Beats doing boring old tanks.:smiling3: Permission to carry on:smiling5:

D

Deleted member 6559

I can live with the guilt Steve - better than feeling a chump for spending hours painting something that won't be seen.

I will return to armour anon. I plan to get hold of Tamiya's 1/48 T-34 which I've made before with no problems.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've now got most of his gear in place:

100_3680.JPG100_3681.JPG

Sorry for the dark photos. I decided to use some pre-painted spares from defunct figures, as they were better parts than the ones I'd prepared. They just needed a touch-up with the brush here and there.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's some neat painting Peter.
Just watch those eyes.
Most ladies appear to do this, Christine watches TV and her I pad at the same time. and still manages to know what has happened. !
John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
he is looking ,great,dose give me that,inspiration to do better,:hugging-face:

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Women are supposed to be able to multi-task better than us mere men.

Dirk - I'd like to see your rendition.

Monica - Thanks. I since done a bit of tidying up. Just the legs and gun to do now.