120mm US Special Forces Vietnam

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

download (3).jpghs-16-09..jpg

I recently got hold of some African American spare heads by Reedees, and while looking for a way to use them I realised that I had most of the above Verlinden Special Forces figure in the spares box. The kit is meant to feature someone involved in Operation Ivory Coast, but I'm just aiming to depict a generalised SO trooper.

I had to take the arms off an older, finished version of the figure and cut down some different legs, but the results look OK:

100_8945.JPG

Should be fun.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Not all of the heads are winners, to be sure. I've chosen the best with hair, but I also have another with a sterner expression if it doesn't work out.

Steven - Joe the dog has been sitting on it.

Jim - My eldest daughter Emily finds my spares box a bit creepy - ''All of those heads and arms and things.'' A few internal organs would be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
This will be intetesting......chair pulled..

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right carry on Peter , seated with a selection of biscuits for my new friend Joe.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another franken-figure, my favourites, as they are always unique, and a good head too? Hopefully?

Your African heads are always really well done, its great to see another one.

As for the spares box, its a must as there isn't a massive market in 1/16 parts that I have seem, and there is still a size issue at times too!

Looks like another cold snap due and still grey all day!!

Have a good day with the head and hopefully a first time success?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - I'll try to keep him as accurate as I can. I've also got an RT159 radio somewhere.

John - Welcome. Joe says that if you could manage to get a walk in for him as well......

Steve - I always find it especially satisfying when a frankenfigure comes together. The head look good, though I do have plenty of alternatives if it doesn't work out. There are virtually no extra 1/16 parts on the market, so recycling old figures is pretty essential. Fed up with the cold weather already, and I remember swearing in the heatwave that I'd never complain about it again. Such is life.

D

Deleted member 6559

Mick - The chairs are always warm in this house.

Here's the head:

100_8955.JPG100_8956.JPG

This took two attempts - I started too early, before it was fully light. The flesh tones are combinations of Vallejo Camo Black Brown, Leather Brown, Red Leather and Flat Flesh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice start Peter. Good skin tones.....what was the recipe?

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie = Welcome and thanks.

Tim - Cheers. Recipe as above.

Steve - Thanks also.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You always do the african-american tonal work so well. This is going to be another awesome figure.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
You always do the African skin tone work so well. This is going to be another awesome figure

Morning Peter,

Sorry Steve J, I have to disagree, The African heads that Peter paints are superb, there really aren't that many around and this is another cracker.

Well done Peter, Sorry Steve LOL

Looks like the light is going to fight you all the way to Mid winter and the welcome lengthening days after the 21st.

Its damned cold too at only 2C at the moment.

Looks like a green day today, have fun and wait for the light to arrive, if it ever does?

The BBC has the S'arf covered in fog today!

Enjoy the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Cheers.

Tim - :thumb2:

Stevie J - Makes a change painting dark skin. Long way to go before this one is home and dry.

Steve H - There are indeed far too few African figures around. I think Reedees produced these after an enquiry I made about a year ago. At the time they said they didn't have any but they liked the idea. Glad you like my treatment of the head, though I nearly lost my nerve with the extreme lighting last night. Cold, grey and dark here in the beautiful South. The light doesn't get good enough until 9.30 or so and is gone by 2.00pm, so painting time is limited. At least Katherine is happier.