120mm US Special Forces Vietnam

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Love the head painted, Peter. You always do good African American figure faces. The tones are incredible.
I apologies for being late into this but just a suggestion, his right shoulder needs parring down a little unless he frequents the one arm bandit at Las Vegas. :smiling2: I think a few nips with the clipper and sanding down will do.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Yes I agree Richard. I was looking at it this morning and realised that I couldn't really leave it as it is. Many thanks.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Peter

As other's have said that is head very, very good indeed. A most excellent effort on your part.

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Andrew.

The jacket:

100_8959.JPG100_8960.JPG100_8961.JPG

The jacket was painted with mixes of Vallejo Camo Olive Green and Medium Olive Green, shaded with Off White and Camo Black Brown as usual. The straps were done with a considerably lightened Camo Olive Green, which on its own has a greyish tint.

Also shaved down the upper right arm re Richard's comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work on the greens, this stage at 1/2 way is always quite fascinating,

1/2 looking realistic and the other 1/2 in naked raw plastic, almost like a TV transformation caught 1/2 way through.

The grey look of the straight olive green is a subtle twist on the green theme, nicely done.

Another cold start to the day at 1 C!

Enjoy the green again today perhaps even the boots too?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve from a very foggy Kent.

I'm really enjoying painting the greens on this one. I'm trying to give the uniform a slightly warmer colour than I would normally to see if I can match the half-worn green seen in so much film footage. I have some name and US Army decals for the jacket, but they are the non-combat variety. I may use them, however, as there is no way I'll be able to paint the lettering by hand. The other option is to leave them as if they've been blanked out for camouflage purposes.

Legs and hopefully the boots today.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just enjoying the transformation with the paint, superb .

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers John.

Today's efforts:

100_8970.JPG100_8969.JPG100_8964.JPG

The main job was the painting of the trousers and boots, the latter being a fiddly job of trying to depict the canvas, nylon and rubber combination. I then dug out an old Verlinden base to which I'd glued indoor plant mulch, and added to it some Javis summer grass tufts and bits and pieces from one of my wife's plant pots.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Going along nicely Peter. Great attention to detail on the boots.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Lawdy Peter,

I just keep can't up with you Sir. I ring the doorbell to come in to watch the magic and you're done before I get seated. I have to go back and check out yesterday's Germans you did too...

I too love the the skin tones and the uniform colors. I especially love the finish on the jungle boots with the 2 colors of the fabric uppers. Truly fine work all around!!!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Absolutely superb. The face could not be better.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - It seems a shame to weather the boots after the effort put in.

Allen - We'll be in tier 3 by the time you get back so you'll have probably been arrested before you get to the front door. Glad you approve of our man.

Jim - Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
as usual... STUNNING paintjob and correct pallete choice.. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Greg. Good to know that I'm on the right track.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another successful day with the paints.

The boots do look good too, with the grey olive tie into the webbing and straps, I didn't realise they were so complex for boots!

We got the fog later in the day, by 5pm it was a real pea souper!

I was watching the old Gary Newman Dracula, a little comic for its time, but I didn't bother going out to check the bins and security lights as I would after dark!!

Got a bit scaredy cat LOL

Looks better this morning and not quite as cold by a few degrees.

Have a good day with all the equipment, looks like it will be fun

Regards

Steve H

• Haha
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Yet again, great work Peter. He's coming on very nicely indeed.

Well done.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Sorry to hear you were spooked! I've just read Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time. I have never been particularly worried by vampires etc. so it was just an enjoyable adventure yarn for me. Not to say that I haven't had a few personal experiences of the supernatural (though still remain a sceptic). This chap's equipment today, which I've changed slightly from the choice in the first pictures to a more pared down Special Forces set-up.

Andrew - Many thanks. May even get him finished today.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter. Like you I think Dracula is a great read. It reads like it was just waiting for film to be invented to retell it visually. Frankenstein, if you haven’t read it, is a much more thoughtful book. I found it the best of the two. Looking forward to you finishing this chap.

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Yes, I agree 'Frankenstein' is far superior. Gret fan of the ghost stories of MR James too.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
He looks great Peter.Keep on churning them out.
Its Adieu from Makka.
Stay safe.
Rich