135 LRDG Command Car & SAS Jeep

Si.

First Name
Simon
Hi Folks

Hope the layout is ok, still trying to get my head around the site

Base surround is pretty rough which I will make better when funds permit, other than that I'm calling this one done.

This is my second diorama, the first being the Miniart 36047 country road kit which I added lots of stuff to. Hope not to confuse but although this is my second build its my first scratch built base1f631.png.

This started as just a Chevy AFV build but fellow member and friend Laurie Stewart suggested a diorama with an SAS Jeep. It was a great idea but I wasn't able to. However, if it were not for the kindness and generosity of Laurie who supplied the Jeep and allowed me to do it I would not be able to show this today. Thanks again Laurie and I hope you like it 1f91e.png

Just a bit of background. The LRDG were absolute masters of desert surveying, making very accurate maps behind enemy lines. These maps were used by other units including the newly formed SAS. On the scene you will see two 40gl fuel drums that have been uncovered. These were covered, camouflaged, meticulously mapped and positioned for emergencies, locations given out to other units. Fuel could be a matter of life and death. If you think of a standard jeep with a 2.2 ltr and the Chevy a 3.5 ltr petrol engine, in low gears over rough terrain must have consumed obscene amounts of fuel. After the north Africa campaign and these elite forces moved on, did they have the time to recover all of them!!. Begs the question how many are still out there.

So LRDG team surveying and the arrival of an SAS Jeep requiring some much needed petrol.

First pic a bit of an explanation

As Ive probably mentioned before but figures are my nemesis. I'm really not happy with these, however, Im going to use them as a start and I can use them to see if in the future Ive improved in anyway. If I do perhaps I can give them an IPA bath and do them again.

Hope you folks like

All the best.

Take care & safe

Si

Attachments

• LRDG a1.jpg
    LRDG a1.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 39
  • LRDG 1.jpg
    LRDG 1.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 40
  • LRDG2.jpg
    LRDG2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 35
  • LRDG3.jpg
    LRDG3.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 34
  • LRDG4.jpg
    LRDG4.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 34
  • LRDG5.jpg
    LRDG5.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 36
  • LRDG6.jpg
    LRDG6.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 36
  • LRDG7.jpg
    LRDG7.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 36
  • LRDG9.jpg
    LRDG9.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 35
  • LRDG11.jpg
    LRDG11.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 32
  • LRDG12.jpg
    LRDG12.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 32
  • LRDG13.jpg
    LRDG13.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 31
  • LRDG14.jpg
    LRDG14.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 28
  • LRDG15.jpg
    LRDG15.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 25
  • LRDG16.jpg
    LRDG16.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 18
  • LRDG210.jpg
    LRDG210.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 19

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looking good mate :thumb2: good idea with the antennas, gives them a reason to be there.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
Very nicely done. The layout is fine and your dio 'tells the story'. Figures are really good and fit well.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That looks good to me, Si.
Great composition and not afraid of empty space either!
Yes there's room for improvement on the figures but they are hardly a 'nemesis'. I think they show great promise, in fact. I think you just need to rely a little less on the washes and only use them like a pin wash on a AFV, to bring out the sharp shadows in the detail, rather than for the whole of the shading. I don't know if you have modulated the colours on the AFVs as it's not my thing, but think of the clothing in the same way, maybe? And you can use pastels for shading figures as well as AFVs too.
Good job, I'd say

Si.

First Name
Simon
Looking good mate :thumb2: good idea with the antennas, gives them a reason to be there.

Thanks Mark much appreciated. I like to try and do something a bit different. Apart from the build I love the research part of it (often with the help of other members). I would otherwise never even have known about a Windom antenna. Have learnt so much.

Thanks again
Si

Si.

First Name
Simon
Hi Si
Very nicely done. The layout is fine and your dio 'tells the story'. Figures are really good and fit well.
Jim

Thank you Jim, much appreciated

Si

Si.

First Name
Simon
That looks good to me, Si.
Great composition and not afraid of empty space either!
Yes there's room for improvement on the figures but they are hardly a 'nemesis'. I think they show great promise, in fact. I think you just need to rely a little less on the washes and only use them like a pin wash on a AFV, to bring out the sharp shadows in the detail, rather than for the whole of the shading. I don't know if you have modulated the colours on the AFVs as it's not my thing, but think of the clothing in the same way, maybe? And you can use pastels for shading figures as well as AFVs too.
Good job, I'd say

Thank you Neil. Your comments on the figures is very encouraging. I think it's been a case of the figures, rush into it to get them out of the way. I just need to calm down a bit and take it more slowly and concentrate more.
I've not done modulating on the vehicles as I'm still pretty new back into the whole hobby but it is something I want to investigate and learn more about.
Thanks again for your kind words. I shall be looking at figures in a much different light next time
Si

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I didn't expect such a well done dio after the intro. I liked it a lot. Not to worry, figures are tough for everybody.

D

Deleted member 5496

Well done Si.

Great imagination & inspiration & totally well executed.

I am totally wedded to dioramas as it shows models in their natural enviroment.
Yours is a great example.

Dioramas give total freedom to the imagination & to the skill in providing that one off.
No plans no instructions just left to that total creativity of the model maker.

I like that very much.

Laurie

Si.

First Name
Simon
Well done Si.

Great imagination & inspiration & totally well executed.

I am totally wedded to dioramas as it shows models in their natural enviroment.
Yours is a great example.

Dioramas give total freedom to the imagination & to the skill in providing that one off.
No plans no instructions just left to that total creativity of the model maker.

I like that very much.

Laurie

Thank you very much Laurie.

Base made from a box of Polyfilla that's been knocking around for years. All the other bits from stuff I had from my first dio (European) so wasn't sure how it would work out. Bit of airbrushing here and there and I'm really pleased with the result.

Thanks again for your kind comments, very much appreciated

Si

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Si

That is a simply stunning effort for your first Dio.....

If my first one is half that good I'll be very pleased indeed.

Very well done.

Andrew