1950 Ford F1 Panel Truck

A

Ace

In the 1950’s there were a lot of motorized services that don’t exist today. Milk and eggs were delivered daily and, 2 or 3 times a week, there was a bakery truck that stopped in the middle of the block. The housewives and little kids would flock around the back doors and the driver would open them to reveal gleaming wood cabinetry with deep drawers full of doughnuts and pastries. I remember this fondly from my childhood in the Mojave Desert in California.

The story goes that one morning a businessman who owned a United Cigar Store franchise was too hung over to go to work and thus he encountered one of these bread trucks for the first time. He begged the truck driver for an aspirin but he didn’t have any and so a great idea was born.

The man had often dreamed of a cigar store on wheels but he could never sell his “good humidor man” idea to any backers. The addition of a hang over remedy was just what he was looking for and he approached the Panico Elyxer Company. Panico (The Bromo in a Barrel) was in direct competition with Bromo-Seltzer. Whereas the active ingredient in Bromo-Seltzer was the sedative sodium bromide, Panico was an 80 proof combination of alcohol and cola syrup. An unofficial Panico slogan was a parody of the gas station attendants’ query “Regular or Ethyl?”

A small fleet of Ford F1 panel trucks was obtained and humidor cabinetry consisting of drawers, compartments with roll-up doors, and removable kegs was installed. Some trucks, including #7 shown here, were inadvertently sent to the sign painters with a full keg or two on board. The lettering on the right side is okay but it gets wobbly on the left and some ad-libbing is apparent, especially in the miss-spelling of the word “West”. The painters insisted this was more accurate.

There is a spare keg on the seat up front. The driver’s passion for flatheads is apparent from the decals on the partition. His other passions are apparent from the decorations inside the rear doors. In addition to the ads and newspaper bulletin, there is an AA pamphlet for the customer who just can’t take these hangovers anymore. 

The kit is a Spec Cast 1/25 scale curbside piggy bank with a pre-painted metal body. I glued wood strips and wood printed paper over the plastic “package load” in the rear and I left the large roll-up cabinet door open to reveal the piggy bank coin slot. I added wheels and mirrors from AMT kits. The kegs are from the Beverly Hillbillies truck and the keg taps are made from old tie rod ends with handles from the electric insulators on an HO scale telephone pole (which also supplied the boxes on the doors).

The dashboard lacked gages so I made some from paper and covered them with “glass” from a blister package. I added scratch built interior door handles. The tail light lenses are cut from Nascar fake tail light decals.

By the way, I remember the bakery trucks quite well but I made up the bit about the rolling humidor truck. Never heard of it.

1 right front.JPG

2 ford right side.JPG

3 ford dash.JPG

4 fordbackwall.JPG

5 front.JPG

6 ford left side.JPG

7 ford int.JPG

8 left rear.JPG

9 rear.JPG

10 rear.JPG

11 right door.JPG

12 left door.JPG

13 toprear.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i real like this one,your done a great job of it,Neil,

very nice claen build,do like all the decals,/signs over it with the plonk in the back,a bottle for 10c,

great job and very well done, :D

Reactions: Ace

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice indeed!....Jim ^_^

A

Ace

Thanks very much! I wanted to add that I painted the red trim over the pre-painted white. I've never seen a kit like this piggy bank before! 

F

Fenlander

I love this Neil  :D . Great storytelling, made me smile.  Love the wonky sign writing to lol.  Great imagination and really well executed, nice truck too.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Classic!! B|

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is a great looking truck Neil. I like the background story. That guy was sorted, booze and cigars :smiling3:

First Name
Marc
Wow. What a lovely humorous model. Love the barrel of moonshine (??) On the seat and love the drawers inside. Wonderful 

L

Leighbo

What a unique build, great imagination and execution. Top work

A

Ace

Wow, I am overwhelmed by your responses; you're all very kind. Thanks!