1964 Monte Mini

First Name
Jason
33 EJB! One of the most famous Minis of all time. Piloted by Paddy Hopkirk and co-driver Henry Liddon to overall victory in the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally. The actual car currently resides at the Gaydon Motor Heritage Museum.

Revell recently released this kit and I had to get it. I already have the Tamiya LBL 6D Monte Mini in the stash and was going to do a double build but I want to super detail the Tamiya kit and open it all up and as I've just got my mojo back I need some instant gratification so I'm building this one OOB...

Compulsory box lid and sprue shots, parts count is quite high on this one.

View attachment 83357

The body has nice proportions but isn't as finely moulded as Tamiyas. Not much clean up required though.

View attachment 83358

View attachment 83359

View attachment 83360

View attachment 83361

View attachment 83362

A little bit of flash and one or two awkward attachment points on the chromed parts. No problem though it'll be stripped in bleach and given the Alclad treatment.

View attachment 83363

Some extra detals added to the dash, a small fuse box and some heater matrix pipes.

Also plug wires and dipstick added to the engine.

View attachment 83364

View attachment 83365

The body and roof were cleaned up, lightly sanded and washed in detergent before being primed with Halfords white primer. Lightly sanded again and then the body was painted with Tamiya Italian Red and the roof in Pure White. I still have to mask of the roof and paint the gutter rail red.

View attachment 83366

The dash is finished. I love the Revell dials, they look great. As well as the home made additions I added a couple of turned toggle switches and some .75mm rivets to the sides of the map holder.

View attachment 83367

Wheels painted in semi matt white and given a wash. The weakest point of this kit by far are the tyres, they're badly moulded and don't fit the wheels at all. I hope mine was a one off bad mould. I robbed these tyres from a Tamiya kit, they fit better and they've got branding on the sidewall!

View attachment 83368

And finally a couple of shots of the body with decals.

View attachment 83369

View attachment 83370

Well that's it for now. Engine next! It's good to be building again.

Thanks for looking.

Jason

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0123.JPG

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

P

Polux

Wow!! What a beauty are you building :eek: fantastic!

Ps: those photos with your new camera are excellent ;)

First Name
Jason
Thank you for the comments. I think the camera is a big improvement Polux but I'm still learning how to operate it properly:rolleyes:

A quick update on the engine. Painted in a mixture of Alclad and acrylics and given a light wash to highlight the details and then clear coated with a semi matt finish. The wiring was a bit fiddly cos this thing is tiny but it was worth the effort I think.

View attachment 83496

View attachment 83497

View attachment 83498

View attachment 83499

Thanks for Looking

Jason

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0130.JPG

First Name
Jason
Thanks Terry.

Had a bit of time this afternoon so I got the engine bay finished. Revell have squeezed a lot of detail into this tiny space and it didn't all fit perfectly but I'm happy with it.

I added some copper brake pipes and clear washer pipes, I like the little chassis plate decal that was in the kit.

View attachment 83525

View attachment 83526

View attachment 83527

Must remember to touch up that plug lead!!!

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0140.JPG

CSC_0141.JPG

CSC_0142.JPG

P

Polux

Yeah! This engine looks very well :eek:

Keep up the good work ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thats some lovely work on the engine

First Name
Jason
Thanks Gents. Just a quick update on the interior before the body gets put on.

View attachment 83867

View attachment 83869

I'm having real fun building this one. The little details like the wheel braces and fire extinguisher add a bit of extra interest. I haven't added any harnesses as I'm not entirely sure they were fitted. I have heard that back in the day some drivers used to use the harnesses from old WW2 fighter planes..... Not sure if that's correct. I'm pretty sure the harnesses in the real car at Gaydon are later additions and I can't find any good period reference pics.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Jason

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG