1982 GSX 1100 Katana in race trim 1/12 scale Tamiya

B

Bunkerbarge

It's what you get on a wet day with Japanese Teflon tyres.

Many many years ago I used a mates 250 Wet Dream while he was away at sea. It was fitted with british tyres and I used to come up to roundabouts in the rain and go right around all the bigger Jap stuff with OEM tyres. They thought I was some sort of nutter!

Laugh, I nearly bought a round.

S

Spyderman_uk

Looking good!

Interesting build as well. I like the history with it.

Ah, memories of Jap nylon tyres!

I never realised a bike could lean so much until I discovered Avon Roadrunners.

I discovered that wearing my leather soled beetle crushers (my dad called them snow shoes) was preferable in the wet, as I could just stand up and hold my 50cc upright when it skidded!:cheesygrin:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I always had the tyres changed as one of the first things, when I bought a bike., Rather liked the Arrow max. You could wear them down right across the tread, bead to bead and not just the 2" band in the middle!!! I think I changed foot pegs as often as I did the tyres some times!

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Tire tech sure has come a long way for sure! Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I finished filling and priming ,going to let it sit and cure overnight then a final sand should get them ready for some paint

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
nice build tray - that was my fantisy bike when i was on a yts (remember them) i worked out that if i lived to 176 and saved every penny i got paid i could just about afford one, those were the days! was offered one a few years ago and gave it serious thought but for the same money you can buy something that handles brakes and pulls faster than i think - never bought that either lol keep up the good work look forward to the finished result

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking great as ever!

I like the katana in race trim - it looks mean. I quite like the 80's bikes in race trim. I quite fancy building a 350LC in race trim myself. I remember there used to be an LC racing series that was televised - absolutely fantastic racing and really close and scary!

I'll look forward to seeing the final thing cross the finish line!

All the best

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

I remember that Paul, that was real 'Proddy' racing. They used to get the bike keys out of a helmet and get on the bikes. Very close stuff and scary but generally the biggest nutter won!

T

treyzx10r

That was some crazy racing back then for sure!Thanks for all the input everyone keeps the thread a bit more lively!

I got the headers wrapped up ,we used to do this back then but its a big no-no with todays titanium head pipes as it makes them brittle. Then the final trimming and fitting was tackled ,its close enough for an old Rat Racer.The front rim is backwards in the pics I've flipped it around the right way now lol

B

Bunkerbarge

That wrapping looks superb and the engine assembly looks perfect. Just the right amount of weathering and scuffing.

M

m1ks

That's looking very good, I always liked the look of heat wrapped pipes, I have a roll in the shed with which I was going to wrap the pipes on my Z650, (before I decided to sell it), still, it'll sit there until the Z sells and I get another naked bike.

Some very good scratchbuilding of parts there.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats looking rather good. Nice work on the pipes and cables.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Gents thanks so much for the compliments! Tried some canopy glue over the instrument panels for the lenses turned out okay I think.

its clearing up

almost there

finally clear again!

first color is on the body work thia will be follwed by Black and the white,I know its supposed to be light to dark but because of the paint scheme masking will be quicker this route

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice paint Trey, nice job on the instrument panel, love the shine of the red . Any chance you can come over and spray my car?

Have fun, John

T

treyzx10r

Thanks John ,sure you pay the round trip fare? Ian thanks. Bad news had an EPIC paint fail set me back to the primer stage

I wiped off what I could with alcohol

had to wet sand the rest what a PITA!!!

back to primer and hopefuly better luck with the 2nd attempt

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another word:

Bummer!

What happened, was it a paint reaction? Looks like you got it back to a good base though.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Just goes to show what can happen when we least expect it. Great recovery though, you'd never know that there had been such a disaster!

M

mark stonham

Hi that's a great recovery mate going to be a fantastic bike when finnished well done