1994 HMS Manchester Lynx 360 - 216 Flight, 815 NAS... Serial number?

• Thread starter Major Catastrophe
  • Start date
M

Major Catastrophe

Hi all,

My project is to build HMS Manchester's Lynx helicopter from 1994. Where would I find the aircraft serial number of the helo embarked during 1994?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I tried researching the allocations of Seaking HAR3's to D Flt 202 sqn with no luck using internet searches. I would say you only have two options to find this outn the first would be from first hand accounts of pilots and crew etc. The second would be to write to the RN and ask them which cabs were embarked on the ship you are looking into. From my experience on 202 sqn cabs could be rotated through the dispersed flights at short notice and even for very short timeframes. We had a cab flown to Lossiemouth for a standards check flight that ended up staying two weeks because 1st's and 2nd's went u/s while a cab sent to us after major was diverted to A Flt because they were off state.

I did find a website with the serial numbers of every aircraft ever used by HM Forces and if I can find it again I'll let you know.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I can give you the serial that matches your needs for 1995 Lynx 360/MC 815 NAS Portland comes back as XZ254 don't know if that helps any.
I spoke too soon!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
They must have rotated the helicopters around a lot. Best I can find is from 6 June 1990 Lynx HAS3 XZ727/360 MC was allocated, and from 1999 another Lynx took over. Seems a rather long time to be on one ship.

M

Major Catastrophe

Terry, you sir, are a diamond!!!

That's my baby! XZ254... I was the Manchester's Aircraft Controller 1994 to 1996! No good asking the crew, I couldn't remember, didn't pay much attention to the finer details ;)

360 is the Manchesters helo side number, that doesn't really change although they do change airframes from time to time...

Thanks all... I'm planning to feature the graphics we painted on her, might raise a few eyebrows though

0ne48thtel

Rich the pleasure is all mine mate these old books do come in handy from time to time.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
http://www.helis.com/database/cn/11153/

Has some info

M

Major Catastrophe

Ah, it may not be the one then... The amg Portland August 94 it the clincher... I think we changed her just before an operational sea trial prior to an armilla... Is there a Lynx designated from August 94 to September 95 for Manchester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Major Catastrophe

HMS Manchester flight coded 360.MC 01Feb93

AMG Portland uncoded 01Aug94 coded 342.-- by 11Jan95

815 Squadron coded 303.-- 17Feb95 and 308.-- by 06Mar95

M

Major Catastrophe

As you can see she was at Portland while we were embarked... 254 isn't 'my' helo [emoji30]

M

Major Catastrophe

Terry, it's the one directly after XZ254

0ne48thtel

\ said:
Terry, it's the one directly after XZ254Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XZ721 WS Lynx HAS3S is the next in the book to carry Manchesters code Rick

M

Major Catastrophe

Cheers Terry, can you just confirm the date shown for XZ721 please? If that's the one sadly she's currently residing at Hixon, scrapped

0ne48thtel

code 342 is xz725,code 308 is xz733 this is working from the 95 copy of MAM as that is as early as i can go back with them Rich. I may have another avenue open but will look at that tomorrow evening if these don't help.

M

Major Catastrophe

cheers Terry, I appreciate the help, I have two piccys I took of 360 in 1995, one where the tail boom and therefore the serial number is out of shot and the other side on with a torpedo being loaded but I can't find it TYPICAL!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hms-manchester-assists-in-1-5m-drugs-haul

This the one?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
XZ694 Bet its this one...

The Tart ... http://www.helis.com/database/cn/19601/

Ian M

M

Major Catastrophe

No Ian, they're both later models - but thanks for your help. I joined Manchester around September 1994, we sailed for the Gulf in January 1995, getting back roughly September 1995... That's why I think it's the one after XZ254. Only problem is I can only find that serial number on 303 and 306... Hope I can dig the photos out! Can't wait to start on the Lynx... I've gone for the Revell 1:32 version

Last edited: