2 Buy or Not 2 Buy, this is the question ... erh ... eventually!

M

mule4468

Hi folks

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that an airbrush could be a worthwhile weapon in my arsenal of modeling tools, and although Im reasonably happy with the results so far (with a brush) and if I could find my camera I would show you.... there are still a few niggles.

Bearing in mind that Ive only restarted model-making/painting approx. a month ago

: Maintaining a steady thickness/coverage of paint. Some paints are becoming patchy in places, Im hoping this is simply a matter of cover - I so far havent used primer (acrylic) as such - I have used watered down PVA glue and/or matt white acrylic instead (wrong thread I think)

Brush strokes - and in particular ensuring that when I finish a stroke I keep to the same direction or at least blend the edges and do not have a ridge of paint.

Again related to coverage - some of the models I have are quite large - I mentioned in a previous thread that I had a re-cast "Dark Horse" King Kong & re-cast Horizon Frankenstein both of which are at least 12 inches tall and painting these by hand would take ages... not that I want to cut corners, simply an airbrush (hopefully) will give a more even coverage. I also have three cars 1/24 scale which I would like to give a more professional appearance to the paint work rather than the odd hair stuck some where/again blending brush strokes etc.

I would not give up brush painting altogether - effects such as dry brushing, using paint washes and detailed work.

With all this in mind I thought about getting a relatively cheap airbrush, that could use both air cans (if this is not the route I want to go then no real harm done) and compressors. I would most likely get the use of the airbrush as I was thinking of other uses - stencils (custom car graphics - models - not the real thing) and other art/graphic work.

My wife has said if Im really serious about model-making then an Airbrush is a MUST and that a compressor is essential and would be cheaper and more cost effective in the long run, as compared to air cans and/or spray cans

I know this is cheap, but hopefully NOT nasty! and was wondering if this would be useful in what Im trying/hoping to achieve (at least for starters):

Portalble Mini Compressor Set 2 | eBay

Your thoughts/advice please.

Thanx

B

Bunkerbarge

Just a couple of thoughts on the subject. I agree that an airbrush is a valuable tool in your modelling arsenal however it is not the be all and and all of painting techniques. Far from it, I see regularly examples of finishes that have been airbrushed quite wrongly and a brush would have been a more appropriate technique. It all depends on the scale and subject but I try to think of what finish I am trying to achiebve and therefore what would be the best means of achieving it. My current project is a large 1/32nd model of a steam coaster, built in the 1920's. The paint on this vessel would almost certainly have been applied very roughly with a large brush so I simulate that with a small flat brush. This requires patience but achieves a much more realistic finish. The only time I use an airbrush on a subject such as this would be for smoke staining and possibly some shading, although I tend to do that with oils as well.

I spent many years modelling with a combination of cheap spray gear, rattle cans and brushes and rarely felt that I had to have an airbrush so I tend not to get too excited about them nowadays. They are a great tool but don't get carried away and overdo it and always bear in mind what the real finish would have been like.

A

andygh

As Richard said, they aren't the be-all and end-all, a wonderful paint finish on a bad model will still be a bad model

Having said that I wouldn't want to be without mine under any circumstances. An airbrush really can make a huge difference to the quality of your models

The one you've linked to looks like it would last 5 minutes to me. I'd go for something better

This is the sort of thing I'd go for for a start

Air Brush Compressor Kit AS18-1 2 x Airbrushes, Hose. | eBay

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I've been modeling for about four years now I've been using an airbrush for two of them and I couldn't be with out it now although I do like using my brush when needs be.

On any modeling material I use I will go with a cheaper alternative but with an airbrush spend as much as u can get I saved for a long time to get mine and I wished I saved even more.

But that's what I think anyway good look with what you decide and look forward to seein some of your work

M

mule4468

\ said:
As Richard said, they aren't the be-all and end-all, a wonderful paint finish on a bad model will still be a bad modelHaving said that I wouldn't want to be without mine under any circumstances. An airbrush really can make a huge difference to the quality of your models

The one you've linked to looks like it would last 5 minutes to me. I'd go for something better

This is the sort of thing I'd go for for a start

Air Brush Compressor Kit AS18-1 2 x Airbrushes, Hose. | eBay
thanx for the info, have seen similar kits, and as the price is pretty well in reach, so will seriously consider this option.

To Bunkerbarge & Geegad thanks for the advice. Probably won't buy the one I saw but the kit that andygh found looks interesting, will have a think about my options. Might just have to buy another/more models while I'm deciding. More practice you understand....

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
No problem any time. I don't blame you there's no rush in this game time and patience is all you need to do a good looking modelSpeak to u again Geegad