2001 Space Oddysey

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
While having my lunch ( small bowl of soup etc) I'm watching one of the classics 2001 and just thought wouldn't it be nice to build that huge ship ( big asss ship though ) what scale would this be to make it detailed enough ? Also the mini pods would have to be some size to give detail and the crew?
I've never seen this in kit form

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Patrick ( $224 is a lot plus the postage your looking at up to $300 ) in my estimates around £160/£170
Maybe the latter idea of scratch would work out cheaper eh ???
Wheres Si when you need him heh:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
There is a paper model of this, will see if I can find it. The original and the pods were destroyed after filming and a new one made for the sequel.

It looks simple to scratch make but, I bet it isn't :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks Patrick ( $224 is a lot plus the postage your looking at up to $300 ) in my estimates around £160/£170
Maybe the latter idea of scratch would work out cheaper eh ???
Wheres Si when you need him heh:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

You are also looking at import duty too...could end up very expensive.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
There is a paper model of this, will see if I can find it. The original and the pods were destroyed after filming and a new one made for the sequel.

It looks simple to scratch make but, I bet it isn't :D

No fairy bottles made in that then !!!
Wow the Cardboard one looks nice but as you say would not be a simple bit of PVA here and there eh??

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
You are also looking at import duty too...could end up very expensive.

I'll stick to what I know ( or don't) 1/72/ 1/48/1/32 Aircraft and the odd tank or ship here and there...... Cheaper in the long run :rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::oops:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
No fairy bottles made in that then !!!
Wow the Cardboard one looks nice but as you say would not be a simple bit of PVA here and there eh??

Er, probably not just a few pop bottles and gaffa tape :D The paper one looks rather good and you could use it as a template to build one from scratch I suppose.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I'll stick to what I know ( or don't) 1/72/ 1/48/1/32 Aircraft and the odd tank or ship here and there...... Cheaper in the long run :rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::oops:

That is the problem with stuff from USA, I have been stung before on the customs charges, cost me half what I paid again :sad: