200mm 33 Regiment of Foot Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Glad you have settled with the bust, it's another cracker, and didn't deserve the bin.

Whatever next? The Samurai? Did it arrive safely?

Looks like a nice weekend, but another mini heat wave?

I am now safe to work at home!!!

A quiet weekend ahead, just what is needed for Fathers day during a slightly relaxed lockdown!

Have a good weekend and enjoy the family time tomorrow

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Thank you.

Steve - I'm happier with t now, but still might try another head. The shako is too small and looked so on the original head, so I've ordered some more Reedees spares and will try something hatless. As it is, I'll leave this now and move on to the next subject.

Glad your home working environment is safe - no real need to ever have to go back to the office now. Will this be the set-up until retirement?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work despite the surface issues. He certainly looks the part. Thanks for sharing Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Steve.

As I mentioned above, I wasn't that happy with the last head - the shako was too small and the sculpt a bit iffy, so I ordered some more Reedees heads and set to work with the Milliput:

100_7622.JPG100_7624.JPG

I decided to give him a forage cap, and fortunately found a picture of a re-enactment replica:

download (53).jpg
I believe that forage caps were worn more often than is shown in pictures of the period, and it's certainly something the wargamers and Sean Bean know about:

fnd-b086-0.pngimages (17).jpg

The painting is going well, so far, which is a big relief after so many duff projects. More later.

D

Deleted member 6559

Here we go:

100_7625.JPG100_7626.JPG100_7627.JPG

Pleased and relieved that this one has worked out. I'm beginning to really like these Reedees heads - very adaptable and very nice to paint. The final touch was the pipe, which I think is by Verlinden.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice indeed Peter. Do these Reedees people just do heads or do they do figures/busts?
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Many thanks. Check out Reedeesminiatures.co.uk - head and equipment sets in 1/32, 1/16 and 1/9. They've just released a 1/16 set of paras, which I'm tempted by even at £150.00 (roughly £35.00 a figure seems reasonable). They also have some impressive 1/9 full figures and British Airborne bikes.

Lee - Glad you approve. Thanks for looking in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Pierre.
A real gem this one mate,Love the head with forage cap,Really nice vibrant red tunic,Im stone painting again,More commissions to keep me busy,Wife is doing them as well.
Stay cool.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Thanks for your kind words.

Andy - Thanks also. I hope you've noticed that I haven't done any Nazis for while....

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

More super putty work and a great way to break the curse of poor heads too.

Well done and good to see you back on the horse!

What could possibly be next, back to WWII?

I have a colour problem to try and resolve, PM sent

Looks like another scorching day ahead, perhaps the some assembly whilst the paints are drying out so quickly?

Work is slow and still rusty, but I'll get there

Have a good day and be safe in the sun

Regards

Steve H

First Name
Andrew
Andy - Thanks also. I hope you've noticed that I haven't done any Nazis for while....
Don't feel guilty about painting Nazis. They had great uniforms and there's so much on the market. Most of our subjects were oppressors in some form anyway.
Enjoy what you do and we'll enjoy watching you do it! Thanks.
Andy

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I did a bit more work on the face last night, and he's safely in the cabinet this morning. I've got a Bonaparte's Military Coldstream Guards officer bust to do next - a bit of a rough sculpt, so we'll see. I've also lined up a whole set of Young Miniatures busts to do - I've come to realise that my eyesight has got worse and that smaller scales cause too much eyestrain. Very hot here in Kent, but manageable.

Andy - I do feel uncomfortable painting Nazis, especially after watching documentaries on the Holocaust. I was shocked to realise recently that the personnel rounding up and shooting Jews in a well known bit of film taken in one of the Baltic states, were Luftwaffe men - the insignia clearly visible. Still, as you say, all armies are oppressors to someone, and soldiers are just ordinary people in the end.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The cannabilism has worked well this time Peter. Very impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing you do a witch doctor one day with a load of shrunken heads around his neck. One Napoleonic, one Roman, another German etc etc LOL