200mm 82nd Airborne Vietnam Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

1317-2.jpg

This will be my first re-cycling project. Richard Pearce originally gave me the full Verlinden 200mm figure, with the head replaced by that from the above bust: Here it is painted up:

100_2644.JPG

This looks much better in the photos than it is in reality. I was very disappointed with the finish I'd managed, though to be honest, the sculpting of the uniform was a bit basic and hard to bring to life. I therefore thought that it might be a good idea to dispense with most of the figure and paint it as a bust. So, after a few hours soaking in Mr Muscle and after taking a saw to the torso, we have this:

100_5973.JPG

The arms still need to be cut down, level with the bottom of the torso. I've added some accessories from the spares box - I'll probably only use the barrel of the M16, attached at his shoulder.

The model is wearing the 82nd Airborne arm patch, and though olive drab combat versions were worn later, it seems originally that full colour versions were worn and that some preferred to keep using them. I found a blog by a veteran's son who said that such was the case with his father. Here are some examples:

post-1761-1300121862.jpgpost-1761-0-63095500-1420670349.jpg8490424501_bfe6345dea_b.jpg

Off we go. This should take a bit longer than my previous couple of busts.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Interesting way to do things Mr Day. I expect some Christmas related embellishment with it being so close to Christmas. I certainly remember a few photos with infantry having tinsel on top. Good luck

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - Might have to say Bah, Humbug! to that idea. The CBeebies Christmas panto is putting me into a very bad mood!

The head is getting there:

100_5981.JPG100_5982.JPG100_5983.JPG

This was stripped down twice before I started yo get anywhere - a really tricky one. Just a bit of tidying up to do.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hiya Peter Chum.
What a capital idea as Captain Mainnwaring would say.A great idea and most appealing.Think it will work a treat and paint up splendidly.An awfully wonderful project and rather lovely as Sergeant Wilson would say.
Got me pew pulled up and glasses ready.
Richard

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter (Ebenezer)

I guess 3rd time is the charm with your re done head!

""Oh no it isn't!!

"" Oh yes it is!!""

Sorry but I couldn't resist LOL

Should be a good painting day IF you can remain Pantomime free?

""Oh no it isn't!!

"" Oh yes it is!!"" LOL

Dressing off and the wound is doing well, but still painful and extra painkillers prescribed.

I shall attempt to sit by the table and try to lap-tray some work on the Stug GB today.

Anna is leaving me ""unsupervised"" for the first time in 15 days, so I could get into all sorts of trouble !!

Have fun with the paints today,

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

CBeebies Christmas programmes are driving me insane!!!!!! It's bad enough normally, but at this time of year it's all Christmas jumpers and Jingle Bells.

Ebenezer Day/Widow Twankey is going to try an alternate head because I couldn't get the eyes right on this one.

Hope you survive being left alone today.

Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph.

I've actually decided to ditch the first head, and have come up with this:

100_5987.JPG100_5989.JPG

This the Life Miniatures panzer commander that I repainted fairly recently. I still wasn't happy with the result, so had re-stripped it ready for another go. I cut off the cap, re-shaped the head to take the helmet and also adjusted the neck so that it fitted into the collar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Cut down to a bust looks as if it was meant to be. Second spare head - as Kryton would say - looks nice.
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good Pierre.Its a dead ringer for Verlindens grunt bust he did which is probably a truncated version of the full figure.I have had enquiries if id contemplate doing my stuff more traditional rather than half figures.Food for thought maybe if this is what the masses want.Im working on another whimsical subject from Kids programme in 1980s.
Keep going mate.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hey, Ricardo!

I believe the full figure originally had a bare head and was holding his helmet in his left hand. For what it's worth, I personally prefer a traditional bust over a half figure - a half figure always seems to be crying out for legs. Good to hear you're busy sculpting.

This is what the bust looks like now:

100_5990.JPG100_5991.JPG

I don't really like the way that Verlinden have sculpted the puckers on the seams, but I'm a bit stuck with them as they're fairly deeply incised. I will do a bit more work on them. I've also left the lettering on the arm patch until I have a steadier hand.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

The first head had a lot of character, but the second is better looking. Being the third attempt to paint the second head, the results came after a lot trial and error - it looks simple, but it has some very complicated folds to the sides.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Your head painting is becoming prolific, 3 times with the 2nd one etc.

They always look so good, it is sometimes difficult to see what disappoints you with some of your results.

I guess it has to something only you see, but when you relent and say the head is finished, it really is superb.

The bust is looking good Peter, even with the heavily sculpted seams.

I guess you will be finished today?

Do you think you will get another one done before Christmas swamps you painting space?

I know we have no visitors today, so I should get an update on the Stug, I also have an unusual bust too, for when the brushes call.

Another grey and wet day ahead.

The BBC is speculating about a westerly cold snap next week, A white Christmas?

I think they may be league with the bookies LOL

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Ebenezer Day is finally getting in the mood. We had a family trip down to our favourite farm shop near Wye, which is always festive at this time of year, then drove back across the downs passing through the little villages, all decorated with lights for Christmas. The countryside always does me good.

Steve - I am getting a bit overly self-critical, but I do want to improve. You only have to google the bust you're working on to see a superlative example, which sets the bar, and for me that means trying to emulate what others have achieved. I do slightly regret not sticking with the first head, but I did want to try the second one one last time. Hopefully it's paid off.

Christmas shopping with Katherine today, so may not get any work done. I worked on the jacket seams last night and will post a picture when it gets light enough.

We've got a lot of flooding locally, and my daughter's place in Lewes is mapped out on a flood warning. I told her not to worry as all her stuff is bound to float. Hope you get some bench time.

Last edited by a moderator: