200mm Lancashire Fusilier, Somme Bust.

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ahoooo Werewolves of London!!!,I recall the piano riff has been used by other songs like kid Rock etc.Heres to more painting and good company.Keep them brushes loaded and paint flowing Pierre.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Can't beat the oldies - she's also a big fan of 'Brimful of Asha' (Norman Cook re-mix of course) and 'Groove is in the Heart' among others. A good video helps. I think we modellers are among the lucky ones in a lockdown situation - I certainly intend to keep at it.

I managed to get a lot of the gear done today:

100_9215.JPG100_9216.JPG100_9218.JPG100_9219.JPG

The backpack is not very exciting and will probably benefit from a bit of weathering. Overall the back of the bust doesn't do much for me, though it may be improved by the addition of the spade - definitely a frontal bust this one. Just the spade and rifle with hands to do now.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Happy 2021 too.

The pack does look like it has just been drawn from stores and seen no action yet.

It is certainly a front on bust, but most are, aren't they?

Have a good day with the paints and all the golden oldies on You Tube.

You really are a bad influence on the younger generation aren't you!

Enjoy the paints and what seems to be a milder day.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Many thanks and a Happy New Year.

Steve - The pack definitely needs some dirtying, so I may set-to with the pastels today. I'll also try to get the spade done. Very cold and grey here, and there's an ominous quiet over the land..... I'm trying to get Remi into The Pretty Things and Beckett, but she's showing no interest at the moment. Enjoy the slide into 2021 (sounds a bit futuristic doesn't it?).

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry to announce that I've binned this one. It was looking increasingly crummy as I went along and the final straw was a totally botched job on the weathering. I don't mind, as I don't think it was a great figure, the finish on the equipment being poor and resistant to tidying up. Some you win......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never mind Peter. Onwards and upwards.....

First Name
Tony
Sorry to hear of this Peter, I guess many would have accepted the work to date. Your work is always to a very high standard and the decision to bin the model can only be yours alone, this is to be admired.

Tony

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry it has been binned Peter. You are right though, the pack and equipment do look 'bland'. The next one can only be better.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps. I think I should have approached this one a bit differently from the start and used a darker palette. My intention with the webbing and packs was to try an simulate the extreme washed out looked they had after being repeatedly cleaned, but the pack wasn't up to taking the look. The whole thing lost me around the time I painted the back, which was a bit hurriedly finished by the sculptor- it would have been fine on a 120mm figure, but at this scale the roughness was very noticeable.

As for the weathering, I attacked the pack with pastels, which went fine, but then it became clear that I needed to weather the uniform as well. In doing so, the surface quickly became very grainy and any subtlety in the shading was lost. I tried to clean it off, repainted some parts, but the damage was done and I got fed up with it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Shame, but onwards to start 2021 with a different bust.

Peter

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Shame the bust didn't make it, but you are the best judge of whether it will make the finish line.

I guess everyone of a certain age, will always interpret a 20** date as futuristic, when you have watched Blade Runner, Back to the Future, 2001, A Space Odyssey, UFO, Thunderbirds, Stingray etc and all the dates have been passed or are coming up shortly.

So 2021 will hopefully be a better year for us all and onto your next victim.

Bust or figure?

Have a good day at the bench and watch out, its frosty out there.

Regards

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oh dear here we go again Peter...can I replace your bin with my bin to catch the many figures I could try and repaint or repose. ;)
Anyway you know when to switch when it gets out of hand and is not coming out the way you want it.
Well hope this year may your painting have no bumps and directions leading to the bin.
Looking forward to your next one and catch it before you finish.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I often fail to see why you bin work. Tony is right in that your standard is so high that work which lesser mortals would be happy with are not acceptable to your good self. In this case though I can see why you would scrap this. Onwards and upwards.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - I'll probably go back to the ICM centurion.

Steve - Yes it must be the influence of all of those great old TV shows. Perhaps it's also that I've been showing my granddaughter the opening credits to Joe 90, Thunderbirds, Stingray etc. Figure as above.

Richard - I hope this failure doesn't set a trend for the new year. No doubt there will be a few bin jobs whatever happens.

Jim - Cheers. I felt I'd done a rotten job on a so-so sculpt and it was already a 'back of cabinet' candidate.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sooooo sorry. Learning the hard way my friend. Onwards and upwards

MikeNZ

Mike The Kiwi
First Name
Mike
Thanks for looking in chaps. I think I should have approached this one a bit differently from the start and used a darker palette. My intention with the webbing and packs was to try an simulate the extreme washed out looked they had after being repeatedly cleaned, but the pack wasn't up to taking the look. The whole thing lost me around the time I painted the back, which was a bit hurriedly finished by the sculptor- it would have been fine on a 120mm figure, but at this scale the roughness was very noticeable.

As for the weathering, I attacked the pack with pastels, which went fine, but then it became clear that I needed to weather the uniform as well. In doing so, the surface quickly became very grainy and any subtlety in the shading was lost. I tried to clean it off, repainted some parts, but the damage was done and I got fed up with it all.
Cannot believe you tossed this Peter.
Takes real courage given investment you’ve made already on it. However can understand pack just doesn’t seem to convey wear & tear of this chap’s service. I did like main body & what you achieved with face.
In early photos looked like some flaws on helmet - was this just present as curious with these sculpts in finishing?
Really admire your output & quality of finish on Young busts you’ve shared here.
Thanks for inspiring projects.
MikeTheKiwi

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Still smarts.

Mike - I find Moz Corry sculpts challenging, especially some of the stuff he's done for Mitches, which are odd anatomically and a bit unfinished. The helmet had large holes in the rim, which were hard to fill. The problem with this one though was that I approached it with the wrong palette, which was too light. I also tried to weather it with pastels, but the pack still looked too new and unused (and too large?) and the whole just looked messy. That, combined with my two year old granddaughter running amok in the house, bless her, was enough for me to call it quits. Very honoured that you approve of my efforts - it's a great compliment.

MikeNZ

Mike The Kiwi
First Name
Mike
Steve - Still smarts.

Mike - I find Moz Corry sculpts challenging, especially some of the stuff he's done for Mitches, which are odd anatomically and a bit unfinished. The helmet had large holes in the rim, which were hard to fill. The problem with this one though was that I approached it with the wrong palette, which was too light. I also tried to weather it with pastels, but the pack still looked too new and unused (and too large?) and the whole just looked messy. That, combined with my two year old granddaughter running amok in the house, bless her, was enough for me to call it quits. Very honoured that you approve of my efforts - it's a great compliment.
Value your honesty Peter.
I’ve held off getting figures because of similiar concerns, so good to hear from another with practical experience.
MikeTheKiwi

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steve - Still smarts.

Peter, I thought too the pack being a bit large and thought he was carrying a tent for two. :smiling2: If you have another pack lying around you could still carry on and tinting a darker tone overall.

Cheers,
Richard