200mm Luftwaffe Ace Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

s-l400.jpg

As Brad Pitt still hasn't arrived yet (re:120mm US Tankers Vignette) I decided to get on with a bust I started a while ago, but abandoned due to the atrocious Verlinden head.

I decided to look around for some 200mm heads to go with this and some other Verlinden torsos I have (also with abandoned heads) and had a surprising amount of difficulty finding anything that would match the scale, which is overlarge. Eventually I found this set from Altores Studio, which were of the right size:

65606838_2594783370749226_8379747392274038784_n_1024x1024.png

A finely sculpted set including a Far Eastern, an African female and a European head

The European head was selected and added to the torso:

100_7049.JPG

I gave him some hair made from Milliput and putty (it is textured, but the detail is bleached out in the photo). It might work. (The other heads will be saved for a rainy day, when I can think what to do with them).

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well look at you, getting the sculpting tools out!
Great job, so far.
I must say that's a rather eclectic and disparate set of heads; I'm not sure I would have paid for those 3 heads when I could only be sure of using one. Let's face it, the vast majority of subjects are male Caucasian, so I can see the need for variety, but I would prefer to buy only the one I wanted.
I look forward to seeing what you do with them!

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
The new head suits the bust really well.I prefer it to the original.
Jon.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

Next time you need some heads take a look at Reedees. 1/9th scale or 200mm.

1587749160704.png

1587749176320.png

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Peter. To be honest, the original looks rough in the box art so I’m not surprised you had problems with it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - I know what you mean, but the other two heads are beautifully done and I will use them. I have a torso which might suit the Far Eastern head as a member of the Imperial Japanese Army of the late C19th, and the female head would make a nice subject on it's own. As for sculpting tools, I only used my fingers and a paintbrush.

Jon - Glad you like it. Anything would be better than the original.

John - I bought the Reedees heads recently, but all are unfortunately too small for the Verlinden torsos. However, they will no doubt come in handy for replacing any 1/10 heads that don't cut the mustard in future.

Tim - It was an appalling head, unpaintable. This one has a coupe of issues, but it's miles better.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done with the head transplant, it does look the part.

How close to Walters Molders do they look?

for reference only

Werner_Mölders.jpg

The new head has more of a look than the original.

Looks like a fun day with the new head, though its still a little grey here up't North.

The garage has been completed for the first time in 28 years, time to recover and get back to the bench!

The bananas survived the delivery, so its a retro Sardinian ricotta and rice cake next week for Anna.

I can't do any worse than her late mum did, she wasn't a baker and it could have been used as a house brick!

Have a good day with the paints

regards

Steve H

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

The new head looks more like Heydrich, especially in profile. Grey and cold here today, but the light is good for painting.. Well done with the garage - a ricotta and rice cake sounds like the ideal reward.

The head is getting there:

100_7051.JPG100_7053.JPG100_7054.JPG

This has been lovely to work on. I did have to sand off a couple of lumps and bumps before starting, but otherwise the surface was nice and smooth.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Back again Peter.My smatphone decided to pack up yesterday and wouldnt switch on.So luckily got new one today from 02.The heads are very impressive,Lot better than the ones i sent to you.
Pew pulled up.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard - Your heads were fine, but too small, as were the Reedees heads I bought - the Verlinden busts are way over-scale. The Altores heads were the first I found that were large enough. Thanks for looking in.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Never fail to impress me Peter with your ability.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers John. I must admit that I'm enjoying the luxury of the larger scale.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice work on the toupee, you can't see the join at all! LOL

Another cracking day ahead, its 12 C already.

Back into the attic for me, as I can't leave it 1/2 done!

Just a bit OCD, I couldn't settle to anything else until its all been finished.

I moved 27 large boxes of ""stuff" down the ladder and 3 flights of stairs to the garage, to give me the sliding puzzle space to reorganise everything else.

I have found some real old rubbish for the bin/recycle, and lots of other ""valuable"" stuff too.

I hope to get my Scalemates stash list updated as part of the process, to reduce the amount of duplication E-bay fever causes!!

Looks like it might be a little too hot for painting?

Keep the paints well watered and have a good day

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

When you've finished can you start on our loft? It's full of stuff that we first put up there when we moved in 16 years ago, including boxes and boxes of redundant children's toys and piles of my old paintings. Oh, and two old wasp nests.

Should get this done today (I painted the inner collars and Knight's Cross yesterday), then it's back to the tankers vignette - Brad arrived yesterday (see the thread for an up-date).

Have a good day and watch those knees.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Many thanks.

Jim - Glad you approve of the head.

He's finished:

100_7061.JPG100_7062.JPG100_7063.JPG100_7064.JPG

Why did the jacket have to be white? A real swine to do, especially as there were virtually no creases and folds to add interest. I ended up stippling layers of white on over a grey ground, a la John Ballard, which gave quite a nice textured finish (which you can't see in the photos).

Back to the tankers build now....

Last edited by a moderator:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice job Peter and glad the stippling worked out.