200mm Luftwaffe Ace Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My god man slow down, I was just about to say your off to a great start but by the time i got to the end he was finished lol. Cracking result mate.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
You've done it again ,Peter - a great save with the new head and a great result with the white leather!

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice finish Peter, neat way to tackle a white textile too, one to remember :thumb2: :thumb2: .

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Sorry, but busts are always fast for me - usually three days max.

Neil - I used the box art for colour reference, which has an all white sheepskin with a detachable brown collar. However looking at photos it seems I could have done the the main colour in buff, which would have been easier.

Fernando - The secret with white is to build it up with ever lighter coats of grey, as adding a bit of darker pigment to the white thickens it considerably. Glad you like him.

D

Deleted member 6559

An up-date:

100_7066.JPG100_7070.JPG100_7068.JPG

I wasn't happy with the jacket, particularly the fur lining, which I just couldn't get to look convincing. Wondering what to do, I had a look at the reference and happily found that there should be dark fur on the interior. So an hour or so of repainting gave me this, which I'm much happier with. All done now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Glad you settled the fur collar, as it could put you off your game if it kept niggling in the background.

A clean slate sets you up for the days painting with Brad

Quiet day here as I feel well battered after sorting one corner of the attic!

Its going to take much longer than I originally thought!

And be more painful than I'd prefer too, its all back bending and lying down to avoid kneeling, not forgetting the dust!!

Have a good day with Brad

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - You know me too well! I wouldn't have been able to settle until I'd sorted this one out. It's not great, but the best I can do.

Take it easy in the attic. No point in doing yourself damage.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry to have missed this fine bust Peter. I have enjoyed having a read through with regards to all the different head choices. I must say the dark fur is certainly an improvement. Lovely work all round sir.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'm always jealous of anyone who can do these figures and busts. That is a superb job, and I like it a lot.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Thank you. The torso turned out not to be so good, but you can't win 'em all.

Peter - Thanks also. It made a nice change to go up in scale.

D

Deleted member 6559

A quick up-date on this one. I decided that the white jacket detracted from the face and that I hadn't painted it very well anyway. So:

100_7124.JPG100_7130.JPG100_7128.JPG

No reason why he couldn't have had the jacket dyed black after the white got too grubby.