200mm Medieval Man at Arms Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

download (50).jpg100_7593.JPG

This is one that I originally abandoned because the head was so awful. However, I kept the torso with a view to finding a new head, which proved difficult given that it is over-scale.

Some time ago I used an Altores Studio academy bust to revamp another Verlinden dud, making it into a Luftwaffe pilot. I never liked the finished result, so I decided to strip down the head and remodel it for this project:

100_7594.JPG100_7595.JPG

I've given him a medieval pudding-basin haircut (a la Blackadder), which I modelled with Milliput. The hair still needs some more work, but I think he looks the part.

I may some more accessories to the torso, like a dagger and a kettle helmet (based on a British Brodie), but I'll see how I feel if and when I get to a stage where I'm happy with how it's going.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’ll be sitting by Neil watching closely

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - I really like Milliput. I tend to use a lot of water with it and sculpt with a brush.

Lee - Be seated my man.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

That is one haircut you milliputted and very stylish for the 11th century!

Hopefully the hay fever is manageable with the current warmer weather?

Should be a fun day with the torso, I guess you will pick your own palette of colours, muted to suit the era?

Off to the vets for a lockdown examination with our asthma cat, that will be a challenge but they seem to have it all co ordinated.

Have a good day with the paints and the hot weather

Regards

Steve H

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
View attachment 389315View attachment 389311

This is one that I originally abandoned because the head was so awful. However, I kept the torso with a view to finding a new head, which proved difficult given that it is over-scale.

Some time ago I used an Altores Studio academy bust to revamp another Verlinden dud, making it into a Luftwaffe pilot. I never liked the finished result, so I decided to strip down the head and remodel it for this project:

View attachment 389312View attachment 389314

I've given him a medieval pudding-basin haircut (a la Blackadder), which I modelled with Milliput. The hair still needs some more work, but I think he looks the part.

I may some more accessories to the torso, like a dagger and a kettle helmet (based on a British Brodie), but I'll see how I feel if and when I get to a stage where I'm happy with how it's going.
My son trusted me to cut his hair the other day... we got a very similar result....do you think you could make me some more out of milliput.????
thanks
Jason

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Taking the day off today and heading to the coast to try and get a bit of hayfever relief. Also hope to escape the attentions of the Asian Tiger Mosquito which is making life outdoors extremely unpleasant here in Kent. Dirty great aggressive things with a nasty bite, the council had attempted to control the first populations, but it seems they've broken out. As for the bust, when I realised that there are about 200 tiny studs to pick out on the jerkin, a breather seemed sensible. Good luck getting moggy to the vets!

Jason - I had a friend as a kid whose mum used to actually cut his hair using a pudding basin - always looked terrible, poor lad. I don't think Milliput is going to work for your son I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Great job with the toupe. Hope you have a great day out. Never heard of those mosquitos. We had midges in Scotland - they could drive you demented.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Might make myself some hair - do you think this style would suit me? Had a great day at Reculver:

reculver-towers-reculver-kent-uk-view-cliff-top-walk-heading-to-coast-near-to-herne-bay-65980369.jpgreculver2.jpg

The towers belong to a Saxon abbey and were maintained through the centuries as a shipping aid. The whole thing is built on the platform of Regulbium Roman fort. A walk along the beach, then back along the cliff path. None of these little blighters there:

asian-tiger-mosquito-_mg_8957.jpg

The Asian Tiger Mosquito. Both my wife and I were quite ill after first being bitten - an allergic reaction probably, bit akin to 'flu.

When I got home I made our man a buckler (small parrying shield):

100_7597.JPG

It's knocked up from a Miniart 1/16 shield, with the boss made from a bit of Lego and the rivets done with blobbed-on paint. Not sure if I'll use is yet.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice hair on the model Peter, fooled me to thinking it had come like that. Shield is fine to a none historical person:smiling:

Don't like the look of that beastie. :fearful:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neal. No, though they do still turn up apparently. There's a thing called a 'portrait bench' which includes an airman, and there's a statue of Barnes Wallace along the coast at Herne Bay:

download (52).jpgbarneswallisstatue-282x300.jpg

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Fully refreshed?

The mosquito looks vicious, hopefully they don't travel up North!

The vets have reissued Anya's asthma medication, she probably has hay fever too!

Hopefully a good day for you following up from the scratched up shield

Enjoy all those studs!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Morning. Feeling very refreshed thank you, more spiritually than anything. A good walk and many hours swimming for Joe. so all had a good time - I'd recommend the sea air for Anya, though I don't think cats are into that sort of thing.

Fernando - Many thanks. On to the studded jerkin today - trying to think of an easier way to do it than conventional painting - perhaps dry-brushing and washes.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well I must say the head is certainly an improvement on the box art. Who did that?? Please don't say it was you LOL.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - The box art was Francois Verlinden himself.

I've shelved this one as paining-in the rivets on the jerkin was a nightmare - not fun at all, and I have better ways of spending my time.