• A / Actual GB format.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B / Less Builds Format

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P

Polux

Hi All.

I started the thread looking, as always, for your ideas and suggestions. The GBs are yours, so I need to know your opinion.

If you observe the thread, you must see that I added a poll....

Please, click on your favourite choice. ;)

Every year I give to you the possibility to “change” the GB format. This poll will be just an ORENTATION OPINION for me. There are some new members and I want to listen his voice on this affair.

The two options are easy:

A# I like the actual GB format. (Please, don’t touch anything! It’s fine!!)

B# I want less GB during the year. (Please, I’m collapsed. Need a few less!!)

Ok!! Thanks for clicking ;)

IMPORTANT

I will close this thread on July 31th.

Please use it as a tool to express doubts, ideas or suggestions about the GB format.

Once closed I will open a new thread where we’ll post all our, next year, suggestion builds. This thread will be running from 1th August to 31th September.

As always, the most voted suggestions (LIKE gongs) will be the select ideas, that will give form at the 2017 GB calendar.

I will leave, myself, the two first weeks on October to design the new calendar. That will be post on 16th October. Time enough to planning your travel to Telford or write at Santa....

Thanks for your time and help

Polux

PS: Please, don’t use the actual thread to post your suggestion builds.....just wait until 1th August.

Last edited:
P

Polux

This is my opinion!

I’m a Mod....but a member too!! lol and this is my opinion as a member. ;)

I would like to have less GBs during the year. Actually, we are losing some great ideas and builds.... there are no takers or members that decided to join in!

It’s true.....maybe the problem isn’t the quantity, but....

My idea is create FOUR GBs during a year. And use, as an order, those main topics....

The first three months all kind of themes related on AIR

The second three months all kind of themes related on EARTH

The third three months all kind of themes related on SEA/WATER

The last three months all kind of themes related on CIVILIAN

That gives four builds during the year and “touching” all the possibilities.

Well, it's just a suggestion. Just hope I read a few more those last days ;)  

Polux

Last edited:
D

dubster72

These are my thoughts on the group build format Polux.

1) get rid of the SIG & SSIG. From what I've seen, people find the acronyms confusing & often ask what they mean. Incorporate them into the group builds as 'single type gbs' perhaps.

2) once some ideas for future group builds are accepted in principal, ask members to declare if they're up for it. Say if at least 5 put their names down, it's a definite GB. That's how it's done on Britmodeller & it works.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For various reasons I am a slow builder, and therefore have not been able to take part in as many builds as I would have liked. 

Therefore I have passed on some quite interesting builds. I feel a little guilty because if I remember I was one suggesting or supporting some of the under used builds and due to time constraints I have skipped them.

Pollux, I quite like your idea, although maybe a little too pared back.  Maybe add two six month builds or a one year build, for those who cannot commit to finishing a build in three months..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
These are my thoughts on the group build format Polux.

1) get rid of the SIG & SSIG. From what I've seen, people find the acronyms confusing & often ask what they mean. Incorporate them into the group builds as 'single type gbs' perhaps.

2) once some ideas for future group builds are accepted in principal, ask members to declare if they're up for it. Say if at least 5 put their names down, it's a definite GB. That's how it's done on Britmodeller & it works.

Patrick's ideas are sound. They will work......

Could I add the following:- Once a G.B. has enough support, and keeping in mind the complexity of the subject, open it up to the participants to decide on the duration of the build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I voted for less builds and presumably more time to build in between the mayhem of life. I personally have a very busy work life and can't participate in as many as I used to. Amalgamating the SSIG and SIG into GB suits me, there really isn't much difference to me anyway. If I like the subject and have something to hand with the time to spare I'll participate. Many others would be in this same predicament.

Everyone has their favourite subjects. Why not run all four basic categories for the whole of 2017 and see how it goes based on the following?

Three basic sub groups:

2017 Air and Space themes: anything that flies or is space related, including sci-fi stuff or out-of-this-world dioramas

2017 Ground themes: buildings, figures, animals, earth-themed dioramas, armoured vehicles, cars, trucks, etc

2017 Sea themes: any water-borne craft or vessel, sub-surface craft, etc

Inside those sub groups allow members to offer Group Build options. Set some rules for the titles of the GB threads. Five members minimum, no maximum with a decent build time allowed. If it doesn't have enough interest within a month or so the offer gets cancelled and that thread closes. My thinking is based on the recent examples of Patrick's German armour GB, and Rick's Raspberry Ripple GB. They weren't part of the official calendar but were supported. This way I think we can avoid having hundreds of subjects to vote on, and people will support the builds they want to/can actually participate in. It would also help reduce your GB work load Polux, except for some moderating and comments when required.

P

Polux

Hi!

These are some great inputs guys. 

Maybe isn't necessary to change the format, but seems I will add a new rule next year. As Patrick pointed, I will require a minimum of takers on each GB, if not we will consider it desert or null....

It's fine? Are you all agree?

Last edited:
A

Ace

Sounds good. Too many group builds makes for too few participants and too few participants makes it pointless (and no fun!)

P

Polux

Yep!!

Any comments guys....?

Are you agree with the Joe's idea or the Patrick's one....?

I understand the other members are agree to leave it, as it is...?

Cheers

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i like patricks idea of doing away with so many different kinds of GBs........the only difference really is length of time

i think we need less of them so the ones there are, are better supported................if yo look theres quite a few this year that hasnt had any participation, which is a shame

D

dubster72

Group Builds are by their very nature going to be more popular when they're about.... popular subjects ;)

In recent times, the suggestions have been somewhat more varied in order to get interesting builds. But if the subject is perceived as esoteric by many, then we end up with few or no takers.

Even if it's considered boring, the old favourites are always the most popular. A Hurricane or Spitfire GB will always get takers.

We all know our history so how about this:

4 main GBs each year, each lasting 3 months. The subjects could be a particular theatre of conflict, ones that were pivotal to the war in question. So BoB, Stalingrad, El Alamein, etc

Within those main GBs, we could have single type GBs. BoB = Spitfires or Bf 109s. Ardennes = King Tigers. Maybe 2 or 3 STGBs within each main GB? 

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so are you proposing we turn into a military modelling forum?...........wheres the cars? motorbikes? sci fi?

ive always liked the idea of how people throw different ideas into the pot then we vote for it

i think half a dozen GB in a year would be good to give a spread of subjects

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'll be sure sheep and follow

Lee  

D

dubster72

so are you proposing we turn into a military modelling forum?...........wheres the cars? motorbikes? sci fi?

ive always liked the idea of how people throw different ideas into the pot then we vote for it

i think half a dozen GB in a year would be good to give a spread of subjects

Not at all Paul. I've merely suggested what I know best & am most interested in. If you or anyone else wants to add something to the discussion, go right ahead.

But maybe you can tell me where all the people who voted for certain GBs are? There's 3 that have been & gone with no entries at all. 2 current GBs have tumbleweed blowing through them; one doesn't even have a subject as yet! 

It's all well & good having a wide variety of subjects, but if none or very few people join in then all the time that Polux spends organising it is wasted.

Let's go with Joe's idea.

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Joe's idea seems pretty good. If we had three sets of four months during the year, each set could have two GBs attached.

For example Jan - Apr could be anything air related with two specific topics included, say one WWII and one Sci Fi. Then May - Aug would be anything ground based, say one tracked and one wheeled, leaving Sep - Dec for water builds - again with the two topics for each section with subjects selected by polls as we do at the moment. (It might be better to split each four month section into two different topics so we're not all building the same things for one third of the year:  Jan - Apr could be one Air + one Water; May - Aug could be one Air + one Land; then Sep - Dec would be one Land + one Water).

We would then have four months to build either - or both if we're one of the quicker builders. This would give us six options for the year with up to four months to complete each one if we only chose three.

SIGs could be organised between individuals - as Patrick did this year with his Jagdpanzer build. I'm sure the mods could set up a thread for the SIGs based on a minimum number of entrants.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not at all Paul. I've merely suggested what I know best & am most interested in. If you or anyone else wants to add something to the discussion, go right ahead.

But maybe you can tell me where all the people who voted for certain GBs are? There's 3 that have been & gone with no entries at all. 2 current GBs have tumbleweed blowing through them; one doesn't even have a subject as yet! 

no worries.....i wasnt criticising just that it looked a bit 'too focused' on military 

ive always used GBs to tackle subjects i wouldnt normally think of doing, an excuse to learn or experience new things

id love to know where people are too but i guess its easy during voting time to put your vote in but when it actually comes to joining in, chicken out for whatever reason......but thats life i guess

as for the one without a subject, thats kind of annoying cos i actually proposed the car one way back when, i even suggested a few cars and how it should be run (cos ive participated in similar elsewhere a few times) but it was just left til the last minute to decide and at one point it deviated away from the original idea

i think 4 a year is too few....how about 6 GBs a year each 2 or 3 month long.....decided in the usual way......spread of subjects......and then any on the spur of the moment ones, like the Jagdpanzr one can 'just happen'

Last edited by a moderator: