• Total voters

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that if we go back to how it was before, in 2015, things will be a lot better. This year there has been far to many and far to many of those have had little or no takers.

A quick reminder here is the calendar from 2015 which was one of the better attended.

A few changes to that could be just have 8 GB's running in pairs and not the 10 we had that year.
Keep to six Special Group Builds again running in pairs, Move the middle one so that it is in the middle (april through til September).
The Super Special Group Builds MAX 2 that have a relevant theme to the year; a Jubilee/Anniversary. Or a very tight subject that demands the whole year. Something special and not just an ordinary type build just stretched our over a year.

2Calender2015.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
once some ideas for future group builds are accepted in principal, ask members to declare if they're up for it. Say if at least 5 put their names down, it's a definite GB. That's how it's done on Britmodeller & it works.

That is actually a very good idea Patrick. To which I would like to add a point or two- and propose this
Drop the fixed Calendar altogether and run with the "on the fly suggestions" With the following rule. If you suggest a GB or add your name to a proposed GB you are obliged to take part. 

The person that proposses the GB can make rules (for their suggestion), which can be debated by those who might want to join the build. This could could be things like the duration, an OOB only, fixed scale and so on. And naturally the duration, and a start date.

I would suggest that there is a global minimum of six participants: the person that proposed the build and five others.

Running them like this would take a lot of grief away from the GB mod and could give a bonus of there could actually be a lot more Group builds through the year. Even running as a continual process. (not just from the first Jan. to the 31 December...

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That is actually a very good idea Patrick. To which I would like to add a point or two- and propose this
Drop the fixed Calendar altogether and run with the "on the fly suggestions" With the following rule. If you suggest a GB or add your name to a proposed GB you are obliged to take part. 

are you suggesting someone makes a proposal, others say they will join in and away it it starts?.......no lead time?

the one thing i like about the current system is that i can plan well into the future what im building or if ive got to buy something to join in

from an entirely personal point of view im not fond of the 'you propose it, you run it' rule and would never propose a GB again cos of it.......but that is due to personal reasons that have nothing to do with this forum,

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The person that proposses the GB can make rules (for their suggestion), which can be debated by those who might want to join the build. This could could be things like the duration, an OOB only, fixed scale and so on. And naturally the duration, and a start date.

Pay attention at the back! :smiling3:

from an entirely personal point of view im not fond of the 'you propose it, you run it' rule and would never propose a GB again cos of it.......but that is due to personal reasons that have nothing to do with this forum,

Where does it say that please? I wrote that if you propose a GB you are obliged to take part in it, also if you say you will take part you are obliged to do so.
It has happened so often in the past where the calendar is set for the following year, that the person that has suggested a build, which has then been voted for has been sat sitting empty for the duration as no-one took part. Not even those that suggested and those that voted. Harmless enough until you realise that the "winner" of the vote has pushed another build off the Calendar by a coupe of votes.  

D

dubster72

I'm not in favour of dropping the fixed calendar builds. That's a little too much like GB anarchy & I got that out of my system in the late 70s ;)

There is a point that we've all been missing right from the start IMHO. Often a reason for someone joining in is because they have a suitable kit in their stash. However, those without an extensive collection have to buy something & that might be a barrier in these cash-strapped times.

But salvation could be at hand! Young John, who saved us all from modelling solitude way back when also runs an online shop... see where I'm going with this?

Once a GB is accepted, could John stock a few kits that work within that GB at a discounted price? Or, if my proposal for some Single Type GBs is accepted, we could go to other retailers & negotiate a bulk buy discount. I'd still rather give the dosh to John of course.

That way we're generating sales that help keep the forum going & getting kits more cheaply & getting more entries into the GBs... Kerching!! :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Where does it say that please? I wrote that if you propose a GB you are obliged to take part in it, also if you say you will take part you are obliged to do so.
It has happened so often in the past where the calendar is set for the following year, that the person that has suggested a build, which has then been voted for has been sat sitting empty for the duration as no-one took part. Not even those that suggested and those that voted. Harmless enough until you realise that the "winner" of the vote has pushed another build off the Calendar by a coupe of votes.  

sorry Ian, my bad..........misread it................but it still leads on to the fact that whilst i might propose a GB at the start of the year, by the time the GB starts later in the year i might not be able to join in due to life getting in the way.........but i do agree with you that its unfair when things do happen the way you say, ive seen it happen many times on other forums

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
;)

There is a point that we've all been missing right from the start IMHO. Often a reason for someone joining in is because they have a suitable kit in their stash. However, those without an extensive collection have to buy something & that might be a barrier in these cash-strapped times.

agreed

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Valid points Paul. I have had a break from moddeling Life got in the way LOL. In fact I stuck plastic together Friday for the first time for almost two years!

A thought that has just occurred to me is that by not having a fixed calendar but doing it by an open calendar is that you are in fact not bound by the things you mention.
The calendar is planed long ahead as it is a knotty problem and it does take a long time to sort out. This can and probably does result in the initial interest fading, or illness or lack of cash getting in the way. (one of the reasons we always tried to get the list out before Christmas so you have things to put on the pressie wish list).

Also doing it in the proposed way means that you can be sitting there with a kit that you know is quite a popular subject and think 'hey I wonder if anybody else is interested in building one as well' and make the suggestion.

Now the only binding is that there is a reasonable amount of time before the start to allow those that want to join in that do not have the kit to get one.

Personally I think that we can please more people more of the time like this as it does make the whole thing more flexible.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Group builds. My only input is this. Lets not be scared of repeating GB's of the past. There are a lot of new forum members who weren't around for the 'harrier group build' etc.

Colin M...

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i like the min amount of participants idea that way we get a good idea going  on any subject 

steve

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Group builds. My only input is this. Lets not be scared of repeating GB's of the past. There are a lot of new forum members who weren't around for the 'harrier group build' etc.

Colin M...

...or didn't have the time to participate....i.e. me.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Group builds can easily be repeated often with a very different kit. I did a spitfire for the "spy in the sky build" I am now doing a reconaissance version of the Mig21 for the mig21 build, but it could just as easily be the spy in the sky build.

D

dubster72

The last few posts rather echo my earlier proposal that Group Builds be none too esoteric or diverse.

The whole point of a GB in my opinion is that they're popular & with as many participants as possible. Therefore subjects with enduring popularity are the best choices.

Some of this year's GBs & SIGs haven't focused on the model; The Mud Effect, Sunken Wrecks, Scene from a Film all had no takers. All of these were as much about the setting as the model itself & obviously were less interesting than other GBs because of that fact.

Picking a popular subject might be seen as boring, but better that than a GB that no-one takes part in IMHO.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As a pure personal comment I would like to say that I have over the past many years tried to 'steer' the GB's toward more of a fixed point than a moving target. A single aircraft type, a single tank type and so on. Trouble was everyone wanted things that stretched them more.....

...funny how things change over time in'it.