2018 GB Calendar. Chat.

P

Polux

Does the NO mean no helicopters or no to the digital camo scheme Polux, and also has the aircraft got to have been in a winter camo ? or could you paint any? a SR 71 for example.
View attachment 288726
This is a Cobra, but I have a Super Cobra kit could I paint it in this camo pattern ?

NO HELICOPTERS!!!

The main subject is the winter camo, so if you want to build a “what if”, could be nice.
This GB is a call for all the plane builders on the forum that want to build a different model, out of the typical camouflages. So hope we see some varied schemes. Some ones with more accurate historical bases and other more moderns or, simply, your own interpretation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hmm, I've got an A-10 in the stash that I've been wondering what to do with. An interpretation of winter camo might be just the thing to get me building it. :smiling3:

I've been wanting to do a F1 build so will be in for that one, and msot likely the Japanese AFV GB as well. Happy days.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it does say aeroplanes in the title.....And a helicopter aint an aeroplane. Aircraft, yes Aeroplane no.

First Name
Stuart
i have never entered a GB.
is it just for fun or is there winners for each category.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Just for fun!!!!
No winners and competitions on the forum :eek:
Ehhh. Don't let me start my rant on other forums which use GBs and SIGs with winners and prizes etc and prize giveaways in order to boost member numbers...
I think it's just great for us to showcase our work for critical appraisal and encouragement

J

Jens Andrée

I'm glad this isn't a competition and instead a form of pushing yourself - and encouraging others - to build, and finish, a couple of kits at the best standard each one of us can muster - and be happy about it!
The kit where you perhaps add some extra flair with aftermarket parts and that super complex camo pattern you've always wanted to try.

That's my interpretation anyway.

First Name
Stuart
Sorry if my question upset anybody I just wasn't sure how the gb works.
I am all for not doing competitions and just doing it for fun and getting encouragement from others.

P

Polux

Sorry if my question upset anybody I just wasn't sure how the gb works.
I am all for not doing competitions and just doing it for fun and getting encouragement from others.
Though is easy to describe in one word.

“Share”

The Scale Model Forum has members all around the world, so it’s impossible to meet all us in the same place to chat and gluing togheter a model.
The GBs are our best way to fill this gap.
We can share our preferences, our techniques and our models.
A place to learn together. A place to fun together.

Welcome to the SMF’s GBs ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Though is easy to describe in one word.

“Share”

The Scale Model Forum has members all around the world, so it’s impossible to meet all us in the same place to chat and gluing togheter a model.
The GBs are our best way to fill this gap.
We can share our preferences, our techniques and our models.
A place to learn together. A place to fun together.

Welcome to the SMF’s GBs ;)
What NO prizes.:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:.
And long may it last that way Polux.

First Name
Jimbob
Does the truck group build have to be a truck or can it for instance be an ambulance, or radio truck or other bodied truck.

P

Polux

Does the truck group build have to be a truck or can it for instance be an ambulance, or radio truck or other bodied truck.
The idea is for a “military transport”....
I can accept a truck that move misiles, NOT a truck that lanches misiles.
A radio truck is ok....
An ambulance NOT! Actually there is a current Military Ambulance GB, so, I you want, you can join in there.

T

Tony

I am sorting my kits/parts/ideas for the afv aa gb.

For me its an encouragement i need to get back into my modelling. For the last few years family illness and work commitments have put paid to any real time for my hobbies. I start something and then never see it through.

Looking forward to sharing my build/builds.

I think not having prizes is actually a good thing because in my case my skill levels will not be to the standard of some of the other builders so i know that if it was a prize competition i would not bother because the pressure would be too much.

This way i can share what i am doing on the basis the enjoyment will be the taking part with no pressure to come up with a prize winning entry.

P

Polux

I hope you will join in on many GB as possible. Almost which ones you prefer. ;)
No prizes. No competitions.
Just a few modellers that are looking for a good time!!
The GB is the best way to learn and share on “our house” :D

You will be always welcome there ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good call Polux on the ambulance , I would have said the same.
I would like to add that for the sake of this project a jeep is not a truck. I hope this does not upset the apple cart.

It would appear there are a good few newcomers to group builds, so I'll do a quick run down:
The original idea behind the group builds was to build the same subject as a group. Since then things have gone from a single type build to a vague subject/theme that is wide open to (mis)interpretation.
The group builds (GB), are just for fun where we can exchange tips, tricks, and share experiences.
The rules are few and simple. Open a thread, include your name and subject, for example, Ian M's Bofors. Bronco 1/35. That way it's easy to see who is building what, who manufactures the kit and what scale it is. The GB title does not need to be in the thread title.
The start of the thread must have a photo of the box top, and of the sprues, before building starts. Talking of which. Rule two. No building before the start date!
Try to post progress as much as possible and photos! We all like photos!
Once the build is finished, open a thread in the relevant completed section. Here it is a good idea to use the same title as the build and include the GB's title.
Some include links from the build to the completed threads and visa versa...
Hope this is of some help.