28 mm Churchill Project - Hobart's Funnies II - AVRE SBG

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, I'm not, strictly speaking, adding this to the D-Day GB, just going ahead as is.

SBG stands for Small Box Girder, basically the deployed bridge. It was made in a towed, single-part and folding versions, the latter I'm doing here. And, as I'm not sure whether they were about for or after D-Day, that's why we're here

IMG_3117.JPG
The kit is a 3d print, from 3D Printing valley on eBay. They originally sent me a 1/72 version by mistake, which was soon rectified with this weighty beast. Not bad for under twenty quid!

My 'Churchill Project' is to build at least one of each in-service mark of the Churchill, as well as major variants like the 79th Division 'Funnies'

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, first off, the hull was weighted with 15 pennies, as that's going to be a lot of weight in front. I wanted to do the folded version just to show off the parts, and to make it easier do it in the 'travelling' form
IMG_3123.JPG
Turret already undercoated, as you can see. The attachment points are two small hooks on the bridge to the bar on the front. At this stage I didn't hold much hope of that being very secure with the amount of weight on the joint
IMG_3125.JPG

But things actually worked out!
IMG_3127.JPG
A coat of Halfords black, and it's holding so far.
IMG_3129.JPG
And the overall olive drab coat, which will be Brit-greened with an over wash or dust coat of Grey-Violet
I thought the bridge might not hold without all the cable bracing, but for now... better not jinx it!

In the back is the Warlord / Italeri Churchill plastic, which can be built in about six different versions, from Mk.III to Mk.VI and the AVRE. Which is nice.
This is going to be one of the Kingforce Mk.IIIs deployed before Alamein. Just needs the dust shield adding. The bars on the side are for the 'Sunshield' Lorry disguise.

Tempted to do one of those, or on a Matilda...

BTW, it wasn't until the olive was on that I saw the turret bin back was mis-printed. So that just needed a bit of re-profiling with a rasp

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm not sure whether they were about for or after D-Day
They were. Here are some photos I found at Panzerserra’s AVRE+SBG page.

Commandos shortly after having come ashore, with a Churchill with SBG bridge clearly visible in the background:

Churchill AVRE SBG with commandos of No. 4 Commando, 1st Special Service Brigade, move inland ...jpg

Canadian troops coming ashore with an SBG bridge visible against the anti-tank wall:
Soldiers of the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade deploying in Nan White Sector.jpg

Close-up of that same bridge:
SBG in beach.jpg

You can tell this one was laid by an AVRE first of all because it’s painted white. This was done so it wouldn’t be too obvious against the sky (though whether that was successful, I kind of doubt). One of the uprights that the winch pulled on is also visible, folded down onto the ground.

And an AVRE with the bridge-laying winch, just off the landing beach:
Troops of 3rd Division on Queen beach, Sword area, 6 June 1944. On the left, medics attend to ...jpg

Interestingly, also a Universal Carrier and a Jeep, both with deep-wading equipment, and two D6A armoured bulldozers.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
BTW, I forgot to mention above that the folded version didn’t see action on D-Day, but can’t edit my post anymore by now.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
BTW, I forgot to mention above that the folded version didn’t see action on D-Day, but can’t edit my post anymore by now.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've not seen an in service date for the folding one

And that's the first time I've seen, or heard, of a white painted bridge! Good job I did do the folding one as I would DEFINITELY done the full-length one white if I'd known

The link to Panzerserra has been very useful. Wait, the Canadians thought of the AVRE? Well, after the Dieppe debacle, no surprise there!

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, I,m just about to 'green-up' with a wash of grey-violet, the bridge gets the slightest tap from the tweezers in my hand...
and off it comes because of course it does!

Looks like I'll have to add some hidden pin after all... All the while I try to suss out how to add all the cabling

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, strangely, when I did a search for an SBG build, mine here was the third to come up on Googly-moogly

Now that is a definite first for me!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've not seen an in service date for the folding one
Futter doesn’t seem to mention it, and I don’t think I’ve seen many other references to the folding bridge anywhere else at all.

And that's the first time I've seen, or heard, of a white painted bridge! Good job I did do the folding one as I would DEFINITELY done the full-length one white if I'd known
You clearly haven’t read about my AVRE+SBG build from lats year ;)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Dagnabbit!
Over the weekend some invisible update on our PC means it no longer recognises my camera, so I can no longer upload any photos!

Everything was fine until WTF! Managed to fix it once, but now exactly the same course of action does NOTHING!
So, no piccie updates on anyghing from me for who knows how long!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I take it you’ve become one of the great legion of people who love Windows updates? ;)

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Dagnabbit!
Over the weekend some invisible update on our PC means it no longer recognises my camera, so I can no longer upload any photos!

Everything was fine until WTF! Managed to fix it once, but now exactly the same course of action does NOTHING!
So, no piccie updates on anyghing from me for who knows how long!

Can you remove the SD card and just stick it in a USB SD card reader? (assuming your PC doesn't have a slot?)

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Can you remove the SD card and just stick it in a USB SD card reader? (assuming your PC doesn't have a slot?)
If I HAD a card reader, but that IS an alternate option I hadn't considered. That might also help 'recover' my pics from Rome and Vigna de Valle, as research has shown, because the camera stores to card in month dated folders. Which makes everything in that folder innaccesible if the foldrs aren't locked, and it flips to a new month and creates a new folder, even when there's still some space on the SD card

We're going to lose so much data... "We lost the entire fifteenth century the other day. Still, that's just a few corrupt popes"

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
If I HAD a card reader, but that IS an alternate option I hadn't considered. That might also help 'recover' my pics from Rome and Vigna de Valle, as research has shown, because the camera stores to card in month dated folders. Which makes everything in that folder innaccesible if the foldrs aren't locked, and it flips to a new month and creates a new folder, even when there's still some space on the SD card

We're going to lose so much data... "We lost the entire fifteenth century the other day. Still, that's just a few corrupt popes"

LOL! Yeah, I do wonder how much of the data we have now we'll still have access to in 20 years time.