28mm Atlantis miniatures ogres

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
These are 28mm resin figures from Atlantis miniatures. They are sold as Orcs, but I think they are too big for that so I’m using them as Ogres….

103E0176-A641-48D8-BE03-A362E4438FAD.jpeg
CA00CB2B-24C1-4B33-9A3E-E2BA01805E37.jpeg
AD29DC55-675E-4B7E-AA7C-F960B81C1C69.jpeg
They were very detailed for what are quite simple figures, so they took a little longer than usual to paint. Great character though.

Usual calibration shot…..
64CD6120-7C67-4FC9-8F3B-9C270DA321AD.jpeg

….and one to compare them to the lawn ornaments…..
41C725B3-FE9D-4C65-BA60-2C738E6B0F81.jpeg

As always, any questions just ask…..
Hope you like ‘em….

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm amazed too at how you do it on something so small Tim...Right down to the dirt on the feet between the toes! Truly incredible painting skills.......

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I most certainly do. I am still amazed at just how well painted they are given their size.
Jim
Thanks Jim. I’ve had a bit of practice at that scale though haven’t I, so I should be getting the hang of it by now. ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'm amazed too at how you do it on something so small Tim...Right down to the dirt on the feet between the toes! Truly incredible painting skills.......

Prost
Allen
Cheers again Allen. Practice, practice practice Allen….it’s the only thing that works ;)

Again though, it is most down to technique. The feet are on a smooth base. I add groundwork from papier mache pre coloured with poster paint and just nudge it up to the feet…..nothing complicated in the process at all….haven’t had to do toenails for a while though…

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Yet again, brilliant work Tim.

Very well done indeed.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wonderfully Wild Tim!
Love em...
I certainly need more practice to get near that detail joy !!
Cheers Rob. It’s taken me about six years of regular painting to get to that stage…..and I still struggle with some colours….good sculpts like these does help the detail aspect though.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Tim more superb miniature painting. I would tend to agree with you as they definitely look more ogre like.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim more superb miniature painting. I would tend to agree with you as they definitely look more ogre like.
Cheers Mick. I blame GW for the current trend in supersized Orcs…and Peter Jackson for the expectation that they have cockney accents….
i do like the Zulu/Aztec like culture on show with these in particular though. After all, they must come from a functional society or they would just be animals…..

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I certainly agree Tim inflated models at inflated prices :smiling: They are certainly from a war like society but with the rudimentary skills to craft items.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice looking bunch of "Roughnecks" Tim......oh, where do you find those 10oz. bottles of Vallejo Paints? :tongue-out3: :tongue-out: :smiling5:;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Paul. Glad you like them.
Ropework was actually quite simple, if a little fiddly. Basically, paint black, then paint threads in dark earth or similar (one of these was English Uniform, but I forget which). After that put on highlights by dry brushing in a couple of lighter tones made by mixing the base colour with something like Iraqi sand. When that is done, give them a careful pin wash using burnt umber wash to sharpen them back up. I had to redo a couple of highlights to improve the finish, but not many. It helped that the rope was very sharply rendered on the sculpts so the texture was clearly defined and took the wash well.
Skin tones were my usual sequence of steps. Just used a couple of different starter and highlight tones to add variety. The guy with the big axe was base coated with “Sand Brown”, highlighted with a lighter mix made using flat skin tone, then “washed” with burnt umber rather than skin tone.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Rob. I’ll always give out painting tips to anyone that asks. What’s the point of learning something if you don’t pass it on ;)
As a wise man once said “I got no secrets to conceal”….