2Dreamers 1/9th Yuri Gagarin Bust

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Started work on this excellent 1/9th bust by 2dreamers. A review is here

After some very quick cleanup work, the torso was sprayed with Halfords Grey Primer, which goes on very well and for the size of the can its a lot lot cheaper than Tamiya's, which i have noticed when using the latest can, the coverage isnt that great.

51336909389_4bd1497899_o.jpg

51336909439_bbe170f9d5_o.jpg

Then a coat of Vallejo Grey was sprayed onto the Helmet areas, and also from below at an angle to put some shadows onto the flight suit. Then Vallejo White grey, again sprayed onto the helmet structure picking up the raised details and filling in some of the shadows. This was also sprayed at an angle from above to pick up the raised surfaces on the flight suit.

51336396768_81224e58f3_o.jpg

Next a pre made mixture of Tamiya Flat Red and Flat Yellow was sprayed gently over the whole suit, trying to keep some highlight and shadow details visible. Once dry lighter and darker shades of the orange were sprayed in accordingly.

51336178241_088785f10a_o.jpg

Its a bit lighter than the photo shows.

Will probably add some more highlights by brush, before picking oubt the various tubes/hoses and zip.

Happy with it so far.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'll be following along for a special reason......

I had the great honour of actually shaking Gagarin's hand. Although me barely into my teens at the time, it didn't quite sink in just how important the man was!

At the time, my dad was a big wheel in his Union and managed to scrounge a ticket for the big function where Gagarin was Guest of Honour.
During the evening, Gagarin's 'minder' came over to my dad's table and said he understood he was a true 'Workers man' and presented my father with a big 'Medal'. On one side is Gagarin in a space suit and on the other in his military uniform.
My mum and I came to the hotel to walk back home with dad. On our arrival, my dad ushered us in and there stood the man himself.
Dad always maintained they had a great crack together throughout the 'Do'. Who's to doubt it?

The medal is one of my most treasured possessions.

Steve, sorry for the diversion.

Ron

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

I had the great honour of actually shaking Gagarin's hand. Although me barely into my teens at the time, it didn't quite sink in just how important the man was!

At the time, my dad was a big wheel in his Union and managed to scrounge a ticket for the big function where Gagarin was Guest of Honour'.
During the evening, Gagarin came over to my dad's table and said he understood my father was a true union man and presented my father with a big 'Medal'. On one side is Gagarin in a space suit and on the other in his military uniform.
My mum and I came to the hotel to walk back home with dad. On our arrival, my dad ushered us in and there stood the man himself.
Dad always maintained they had a great crack together throughout the 'Do'. Who's to doubt it?

Ron
Great story Ron.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

At the time, my dad was a big wheel in his Union and managed to scrounge a ticket for the big function where Gagarin was Guest of Honour.
During the evening, Gagarin's 'minder' came over to my dad's table and said he understood he was a true 'Workers man' and presented my father with a big 'Medal'. On one side is Gagarin in a space suit and on the other in his military uniform.

Ron

WOW thats fantastic.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Few more highlights and shadows added to the suit. Pipes have been picked out as has the zip. Will add a few more highlights to the white helmet. and a few touch ups, then it will be onto the face and head.

51338262636_08d840cef1_o.jpg

51338996574_8d508ce6d1_o.jpg

Noticed on some ref photos that the 'tube'/pipe on his right shoulder should be brown, so this will need addressing.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
You do seem to find some very interesting and unusual subjects. This looks great. I had to use your link from the first post to see what his head was like :tongue-out3: - it looks good :thumb2:

Nice story from Ron.
Jim

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Steve. The eyes especially are fantastic. If you can shrink work like his down to 1/350 scale I would like to persuade you to do my HMS ZULU crew :smiling::smiling:.
Regards,
John.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Helmet is back from the paint shop :smiling:, used the mask for the CCCP, but painted it with a brush as ddint want it to be perfect, as it was drawn on the original helmet with a marker pen;

51355709610_c9600be1af_o.jpg

51355709560_b01237c6f2_o.jpg

51355709530_e88990c044_o.jpg

Just got the mics and helmet connector cable to add on and he will be finished.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve,

That really is top-notch work.

Very well done.

Andrew