2x Bf 109 F-4 (1/48)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,

I added a Kübelwagen for the F4-trop version so I can make a small dio, nothing complicated...
Steven_Bf109_x2_051.jpg

The kit came together fast, good fittings.
I masked the windscreen.
Steven_Bf109_x2_052.jpg

I used Vallejo Dark Yellow primer, then a coat of Dark Yellow from Mig/Ammo...
Steven_Bf109_x2_053.jpg

The Kübelwagen comes with 2 figures, I like the driver very much. Here in grey primer...
The guy standing-up had a head-fitting issue.
Steven_Bf109_x2_054.jpg

I added a gloss coat to the Trop plane to seal the decals, then I started on the 2nd Bf109...
I wanted to try a wave-leading-wing-edge, something different. So I cut a wave line with Tamiya 6mm tape...
Steven_Bf109_x2_055.jpg

The plane got a coat of grey primer and a green-blue-grey base color (I'm on the train, forgot the ral-luftwaffe-number)

I masked the wing/fuselage...
Steven_Bf109_x2_056.jpg

For the 2nd plane I like to try something like this, but I doubt I can get the exact same result...
Steven_Bf109_x2_056b.jpg

I started with a dark-green-camo paint from Vallejo...
Steven_Bf109_x2_057.jpg

Then I masked some camo...
Steven_Bf109_x2_058.jpg

I used a lighter green tone, from a Mig/Ammo Luftwaffe-set, the stippling was hard to airbrush because of tip-drying and lack of practice... (engine is still masked)
Steven_Bf109_x2_059.jpg

Not sure if I like the leading-edge-wing-wave-line-thing, but I assume it will look ok with decals and a filter etc...
Steven_Bf109_x2_060.jpg

Thanks for reading and kind regards ; )
Steven

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,
After some thinking I decided that I don't really like that wave-line on the wings :thinking:, I didn't use a reference picture and it looks just too big...
So this evening I re-masked the wings/fuselage and removed it.

Masking fuselage
Steven_Bf109_x2_061.jpg

The wave was sprayed with the dark-green, on the fuselage I masked a white band...
Steven_Bf109_x2_062.jpg

Then I re-masked the dark-green and sprayed the light-green, the white band is sprayed on the fuselage...
Steven_Bf109_x2_063.jpg

Then I masked the underside of the nose, this panel was sprayed yellow.
Steven_Bf109_x2_064.jpg

Then all the masking-tape was removed and now I'll let the paint harden before adding a gloss-varnish (for decals)...
Will look a lot better with the spinner and landing gear attached... I hope :thinking::smiling5:
Steven_Bf109_x2_065.jpg

Kind regards ; )
Steven

First Name
Wouter
Very nice paintwork Steven. Looking at this really want me to carry on with my BF109...will need to have some 6 months of patience though :D Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Peter and Si :thumb2:

@Wouter: Can't wait to see your Bf109 project started, hopefully you can pick up the hobby again soon.

This evening I spend all of my time on decals for the 2nd plane and Kübelwagen...
First of all I ordered a sheet of swastika-decals for the tail (and future projects) so I don't have to cut and mask them anymore.
Steven_Bf109_x2_066.jpg

I went through my decals and used a white number 2, the spinner was temporary fitted to get an idea of the final look.
Both planes received a tail-wheel and landing-struts.
Steven_Bf109_x2_067.jpg

Next is another gloss-coat and panel-wash (which will be a first time...:surprised:)
Thanks for reading and kind regards!
Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SOME very nice work on them 109 Steven a you did marvalous job on the swastika :thumb2:
chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Panel washes are easy Steven. Especially when you use ones like Phil Flory makes. Oils look better imho but are more 'faff'.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks all :thumb2:

This week I tried a panel-wash, I had a 'grey' and 'dark red' panel-line-wash from Mig in stock.
The grey seemed to work on the underside, but the red took much longer to dry and each time I wiped it all off so I stopped using it...
Steven_Bf109_x2_067a.jpg

I changed plan and made a wash with burn umber oil paint, I used that also on armour...
Steven_Bf109_x2_067b.jpg

2 days later I sprayed a matt acrylic finish (Testors), I had some trouble spraying it because it blocked the airbrush.
I tried to thin it down with Vallejo thinner but in the end just 'water' seemed to thin it better...
matt.jpg
I also added a subtle exhaust color with the airbrush (burned umber mixed with black).
Next I added some color-variations to the sand yellow, but not very visible in the picture.
Steven_Bf109_x2_067c.jpg

I got 2 figures painted (vallejo)... I gave the driver a bit of sun-burn, but not really visible in the picture.
Steven_Bf109_x2_068.jpg

The N°2 plane also got an exhaust color and matt finish. They all got their tires mounted and I added a bit of pigments on the wheels.
Steven_Bf109_x2_069.jpg

N°2 got his masks removed!
Steven_Bf109_x2_070.jpg

The Kübel also, I re-masked the windscreen-wipers-curve-surface and sprayed a matt finish on the wind screen again, to give a dust effect.
Steven_Bf109_x2_071.jpg

I made a small base in 18mm MDF (temporary setup). I routed the edges with my router.
It's very compact so it doesn't take too much (room)space, but I think it will work.
(in this pic you can see the Kübel-windscreen-wiper-shape)
Steven_Bf109_x2_072.jpg

That's all for now,
Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Steven

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys! :thumb2:

This afternoon I started working on the MDF-base, the trop-plane-scheme I did was from 'Martuba' in Libya (North Africa, 1942).
To get an idea of the landscape and colors I searched google for a few minutes and used these images from the region (Martuba).
Steven_Bf109_x2_073.jpg
Some nice earth-tones, small rocks and bushes...
Steven_Bf109_x2_075.jpg

I have some sand and stones that I collected and filtered a while ago, started gluing the largest rocks...
Steven_Bf109_x2_076.jpg

Then I added wood-glue, smaller rocks and a layer of fine white-sand.
In the end I thinned some more wood-glue and dropped it on the surface with a pipette. The edge was masked.
Steven_Bf109_x2_077.jpg

I did an attempt to make the wheels look like the're in the sand...
Steven_Bf109_x2_078.jpg

After the hairdryer I sprayed some coats of black primer (vallejo)
Steven_Bf109_x2_079.jpg

Then I sprayed the earth tones.
This took me a long time as I tried to get the color right, but when I changed to a different light-source I had the make adjustments over and over again. I wasn't able to capture that 'orange' tone very well.
Steven_Bf109_x2_080.jpg

Then I masked the outer-edge of the base.
Steven_Bf109_x2_081.jpg

The edge was sprayed with burned umber (vallejo), here you can see the end result of the base ...
Steven_Bf109_x2_082.jpg

The canopy-masking was removed and I placed the vehicles on the base temporary. Some small vegetation was added.
Steven_Bf109_x2_083.jpg

Steven_Bf109_x2_084.jpg

Although it's a small project it sure takes me a lot of time to get things done, but I learned a lot with this one so I'm glad I got it this far.
Next I still need to add the antenna, figures and a bit of small weathering, I also noticed I forgot to install the armor plate in the cockpit :smiling6: ...

So that's all for now, I'm of to bed! :sleeping:
Kind regards,
Steven

First Name
Wouter
You can go to bed now, lucky chap lol.
Nice base btw, really adds to the bf and kübel. Looking forward to see the details added

Cheers

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Steven,
Really impressed with all the work you’ve been putting in, everything looks very clean and tidy:thumb2: