2x Bf 109 F-4 (1/48)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'd leave well enough alone on the swastika, It looks the bomb as is. Everything looks very crisp and well executed. Well done Steven.
Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the swastika should get a white outline but I'm not sure if I will be able to pull that one off :thinking:
I would kind of expect there to be two sizes of mask for that, a larger one for the white and then a smaller for the black. Are you sure the two swastika masks are exactly the same size? (Technically, it should also have a black outline around the white, so three sizes of mask, but I doubt you could get them all lined up correctly in this scale.)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for the comments!

Yes I don't think I'll give the white outline a try, should have started with white before masking...

Would be a lot easier if they included the swastika's in the decals again. Could save a lot of precious time on the bench...

I just ordered a small decal sheet for future Luftwaffe planes.

Kind regards,
Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
Coming along really well. The masking has worked well - very neat. That masking putty does tend to slump on vertical surfaces. Quite a problem as it means you have to work quickly - certainly can't leave it while you go for a cuppa :tongue-out3:
I'm enjoying this :thumb2:
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steven, your plane skills haven't left you after 20years. Great build...just don't know how I missed this. Just went through the pages and seen the first time use of that putty...looks like slime from Nickelodeon. Blu-tac is what I use up till now.

Engine detailing... :thumb2: Dashboard dials...:thumb2: Decal masking...:thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Would be a lot easier if they included the swastika's in the decals again. Could save a lot of precious time on the bench...
You can buy decal sheets with nothing but in different sizes.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant work Steven. Stretched spruce is something I just have no luck with. I end up producing yards of the stuff for just an inch or two of usable sprue.

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Stretched spruce is something I just have no luck with. I end up producing yards of the stuff for just an inch or two of usable spruce.
Yes it's something you need to try a few times indeed : D, you need to heat it, but not overheat it, it should be just warm enough to pull it hard about 20-30cm. I find it doesn't work with 'soft' sprues like ICM, and you should try to heat the sprue about 1cm in length, so not exactly at 1 point if that makes sence...

Hope you'll be able to produce some thin wires :thumb2:

Cheers, Steven

D

Deleted member 7181

Brilliant work Steven. Stretched spruce is something I just have no luck with. I end up producing yards of the stuff for just an inch or two of usable spruce.
I've had much better luck with hot glue. A blob on a coffee stirrer etc, touch it with another and stretch away.

Seems much more controllable but obviously no good if you don't have a gun.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
That might be my problem. I use a heat gun which applies a lot of heat over a bigger area.
Yes in the older (armour)kits they always showed a candle for making the antenna, the candle-trick still works for me so I keep using it. I heat about 1cm in the middle of the sprue, (I turn it around like a chicken) then the plastic turns shinny/melted and then I turn it away from the flame, and give it a good pull...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I use a cigarette lighter to stretch sprue — mainly so I don’t have to keep a lit candle around all the time I’m working with the material. The trick, IMHO, is mainly to try different kinds of sprue and different lengths of time heating it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
very handy tool...everyone should have one.