Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,
I started these two planes a while ago but unfortunately they got shelved,
I managed to put in the final effort and got them finished now. :thumb2:
These ICM kits have a great 'price/satisfaction value' in my opinion.

Kits used :
  • Bf109 F4 : ICM 1/48
  • Bf109 F4 : ICM 1/48 (F-4Z/Trop)
  • Kübelwagen with figures - Tamiya 1/48

Mentionable adaptations :
  • Molded nose-canons were replaced with small tube.
  • Sand-filter (Trop) was cut up and made 'opened' as I preferred the look of it (should be closed on the ground but perhaps got jammed)
  • New antenna masts were cut from sheet of Aluminium, as the kit part was too flexible to connect a wire to.
  • Engine covers received inside detail made from pieces of stretched sprue.
  • Engine pipes/cables were made from stretched sprue.
  • The swastika for the 'Trop' aircraft was masked with Tamiya tape, my first attempt was plain black but I redid the masking and got the white outline on too.
  • The number '14' was masked from Tamiya tape (because I didn't like the decal with black outline).
  • Base is made from 18mm Mdf (3/4").
Steven_Bf109_x2_Final_001.jpg

Steven_Bf109_x2_Final_005.jpg

Steven_Bf109_x2_Final_002.jpg

Steven_Bf109_x2_Final_006.jpg

Steven_Bf109_x2_Final_007.jpg

Steven_Bf109_x2_Final_004.jpg

Steven_Bf109_x2_Final_003.jpg

Many thanks for looking in!
Keep it safe & have fun
Steven

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic pair of 109s steven . Loving the base too and the F version has got to be the best looking 109 in my opinion , very clean lines . I especially like Joachim Marseilles yellow 14 , complete with his personal kubelwagen ‘ Otto ‘ . Great work , cheers tony

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
... Loving the base too and the F version has got to be the best looking 109 in my opinion , very clean lines . I especially like Joachim Marseilles yellow 14 , complete with his personal kubelwagen ‘ Otto ‘ ...
Thanks Tony! I also like the F and G version the most, love those big heavy noses :D

... The figure and the kubelwagen really make the scene. Masked markings so often look better than decals so worth the effort ...
Thanks Jim, Yes a vehicle in the scene makes it a bit more interesting indeed, and you're right about masking markings!

Wow! Lovely job Steven....
Thanks Nick, means a lot!

Steven

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steven

A top pair of planes and a lovely little vignette too. Well done.

Andrew

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven this is VERY GOOD MODDELING i love the 109 with the engine prop open an to me they both look real VERY WELL DONE SOME VERY FINE MODELING INDEED only wish i could build these planes like you have done cant praise them enough
chris

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Excellent work Steven, they look amazing. As does the car and figure, but it's wings that catch my eye.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice pair !! Just one little point if I may. This is in no way a criticism of your workmanship which I think is brilliant. You seem to have done what the majority of modellers do, and filled and sanded the longtitudinal seam from cockpit to tail. It has always been my understanding that the fuselage of the 109s was made in two halves and rivetted together, so the seam is correct. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.
John.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thank you all for the kind comments! :thumb2:

... You seem to have done what the majority of modellers do, and filled and sanded the longtitudinal seam from cockpit to tail. It has always been my understanding that the fuselage of the 109s was made in two halves and rivetted together, so the seam is correct...
Hi John, thanks for the comment, as far as I know you're right, there should be a seam ; ). Many aircraft do but I always think "it will look like bad glue joint" : D... But I will keep this in mind for the next one though. Have a nice day :thumb2:
Steven

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If I was on the PC Steven you would be awarded the Dogs !
That my friend is too class, like Chris that open engine Is a work of art .

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Echoing what others have said, this is a fantastic build. Your paint work is sublime.